Ok, I did it... LX10

Old February 15th 04, 04:56 PM
John Damico

Default Ok, I did it... LX10

Took the plunge and did it this morning, bought the LX 10 that's on sale
with the UHTC. Was going to buy something with go-to and all that, and spend
a bit more, but this seemed a really good value. Have been doing ok finding
my way around with the 4.5" newtonian so this may be the better buy for me
at this time. The thread started earlier about the LX 10 kinda convinced me.
Any LX 10 owners want to tell me how pleased they are with theirs? Thanks...

Old February 15th 04, 05:20 PM
Rod Mollise

Any LX 10 owners want to tell me how pleased they are with theirs?

Hi:

Well, I'll admit I've always bought Celestron as my personal telescopes.
HOWEVER...the eight LX10s we purchased here (University of South Alabama
Physics Dept.) have worked admirably well and have held up much better than I
thought they would. They've hardly been babied by six years of beginning
astronomy students. These are not fancy scopes, but they work as advertised and
are very nice for visual observing or even introductory imaging. That is, I'm
impressed by these pleasantly simple telescopes. My main criticism? the wedge.
It's hard to adjust for polar alignment. Course, you can always upgrade to a
better one.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old February 15th 04, 05:50 PM
Al

This is a fine telescope, my neighbor's first telescope and he still loves
it. The optics are exactly the same as the LX200, but everything else
(fork, electronics, finder, and tripod) are quite different. As long as you
don't have any plans of going into astrophotography in the future, you will
enjoy this telescope. By the way, if you find that you miss the GOTO
feature, you can always buy digital setting circles for this scope, which I
am told work quite well.

Al

. net...

Old February 15th 04, 06:54 PM
Michael Wood

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:56:38 GMT, "John Damico"
wrote:

Took the plunge and did it this morning, bought the LX 10 that's on sale
with the UHTC. Was going to buy something with go-to and all that, and spend
a bit more, but this seemed a really good value. Have been doing ok finding
my way around with the 4.5" newtonian so this may be the better buy for me
at this time. The thread started earlier about the LX 10 kinda convinced me.
Any LX 10 owners want to tell me how pleased they are with theirs? Thanks...

John,

I like mine a lot. Just the right size for carrying around, easy to
set up, and the optics are first rate. Had mine about 3 years and it
gets plenty of use. Made some pretty good web cam images of Mars last
year. Think you'll enjoy it.

Mike

Old February 16th 04, 03:47 AM
Mark R.

Hi John,

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm on a tight budget so it was nice
to have the ability to afford a good entry SCT, I don't own any others.

-Mark

Old February 22nd 04, 03:55 AM
Mark R.

I just had to comment here and say that I received my lx10(with UHTC)
via UPS on Friday (thanks Astronomics). It went together
reasonably well. Just one problem in that the finder mount didn't
match up with the mounting screws. I attempted to bend the mount just
slightly
so it would match up but managed to break it. With a large washer I
managed to secure it well enough, but I plan on buying a right angle finder.

Well tonight the sky was clear as a bell. Usually I have to wait weeks
for clear skies to use new equipment after purchasing equipment.
After doing a quick star test, which resulted in perfect collmination,
my first stop was Orion. Very, very nice view, even though I was
viewing from my driveway in a fairly light polluted sky. I was able
to resolve the 4 stars very easily.

The next stop was Saturn. Wow, Wow, Wow, I have never seen Saturn
so nicely. The Cassini division jumped right out at me. My other scope
is an XT10 and I have never seen Saturn through my XT10 as nice
as I did through the LX10. However it is a very steady atmosphere.

I am very pleased with this scope and even more pleased I was able to
get it for $800.

-Mark R.