Compact 8" scope suggestions (no GOTO required)

Old May 24th 04, 11:35 AM
Ashley Culver

Default Compact 8" scope suggestions (no GOTO required)

Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my existing 6" Orion Europa to something with a bit more
light gathering power but I need to keep the size of the scope relatively
compact. I don't feel any great urge to get a GOTO scope nor do I need
anything suitable for photography.

I've had a little look around but the compact scopes seem to really quite
expensive and\or have GOTO at 8". Can anyone give me any pointers to models
I may have missed?

Many thanks,

Ash
Cambridge

Old May 24th 04, 03:20 PM
Mark

How about a 8" Europa?

Mark

Old May 25th 04, 12:36 PM
Ashley Culver

Uhmmmm. I was thinking of a compact scope. The 6" Europa is long enough
already, 8" might be a bit big :O)

Looking back on my email I can see it was pretty vague sounding. I have seen
the Meade offerings and the Celestron offerings but they seem to be fixated
by GOTO tech.

I suppose I was hoping for a decent sub £1000 8" compact scope....

Ash

"Mark" wrote in message
How about a 8" Europa?

Mark

Old May 25th 04, 07:21 PM
Dre

Yep, I'm in a similar situation to you. In about year's time I plan on
getting a bigger (6in plus) and better quality scope for less than £1000. So
I did some research beforehand and found the following. However several of
these may not be to your liking and may require ordering from the States
(where things are cheaper) and I've shown my 6in findings to because I maybe
willing to go for a high quality 6in over a low quality - mediocre 8in.

Celestron 150mm Advanced Series Refractor (1200mm f/8) - £749 (Amazon.co.uk)
Celestron NexStar 8i Kit w/Full Sized Tripod,Controller £953
(http://www.telescopes.com/)

Meade LXD55 6" Schmidt-Newtonian £889.00 (http://www.telescopes-direct.com/)
Meade LXD55 6" UHTC Schmidt Newtonian inc Autostar £845.00
(http://www.sherwoods-photo.com)
Meade 8 inch LX10 Deluxe SCT (controller/no GOTO)
£877.03(http://www.telescopes.com)

***Also keep your eye on places like Ebay and Amazon for good deals***

Old May 25th 04, 07:48 PM
Dre

In addition to this, you may be able to get the Meade LXD55 8in for about
£1000 at some UK Telescopes websites.

Old May 26th 04, 09:38 AM
Ashley Culver

Thanks for the info Dre. I'll check out the website you have listed. The
price for the Nexstar 8i looks v good.

Cheers

Ash