reflight of SpaceX Block5

Old August 7th 18, 10:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Default reflight of SpaceX Block5

Nighttime launch, successful 1st and 2nd stage firings, fairing
release, satellite release for GSO, and landing of 1st stage at sea.

URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsUJO-jp2zg

/dps

--
Ieri, oggi, domani
Old August 10th 18, 02:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

On 2018-08-08 07:25, Jeff Findley wrote:

First reflight and successful second recovery of a Block 5 first stage.

Been offline due to accident. How long between the first flight/landing
and second flight?

Google is your firned ;-)

This was B1046.
This booster first flew on May 11 of this year.

So 4 months turn around time.
Not bad.

Did the stage travel back to Califoria for tests/cleanup or remain in
Florida?

Based on:
https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-fir...around-record/
It doesn't look like it went back to California. And there's not much reason
at this point.

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/

Old August 10th 18, 01:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On 2018-08-08 07:25, Jeff Findley wrote:

First reflight and successful second recovery of a Block 5 first stage.

Been offline due to accident. How long between the first flight/landing
and second flight?

Google is your firned ;-)

This was B1046.
This booster first flew on May 11 of this year.

So 4 months turn around time.
Not bad.

Unless my coffee is weak this morning, I count 3 months between May and
August. But agreed, that's not bad, especially since they had to tear
this one down a bit to verify that they didn't have to tear it down.
:-)

Did the stage travel back to Califoria for tests/cleanup or remain in
Florida?

Based on:
https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-fir...around-record/
It doesn't look like it went back to California. And there's not much reason
at this point.

Cool. That's the goal. Inspect at either Florida or California and
refly them for up to 10 times.

Jeff

Old August 11th 18, 12:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On 2018-08-10 08:10, Jeff Findley wrote:

Unless my coffee is weak this morning, I count 3 months between May and
August. But agreed, that's not bad, especially since they had to tear
this one down a bit to verify that they didn't have to tear it down.
:-)

3 months at this early stage of Block 5 is damned impressive. Thanks
for the info.

I wonder how many stages will get "extra" treatment between flights to
validate.

Also, considering they have yet to validate how many flights can be done
with Blcok5, woudl it be fair to state that the early block5s will
contineu to get extra attention between flights ?

Unsure. I'm sure they'll continue to do spot checks over the years.
But the plan is to build enough boosters that they never come close to
10 flights each. Even with delays, BFR/BFS will take over long before
the Falcon Block 5 boosters come near their limit before refurbishment.
Worst case scenario, BFR/BFS never comes to fruition, and SpaceX has to
start refurbishing Block 5 boosters. In which case the design is
supposed to be good for something like 100 flights each maximum. I
think SpaceX is good.

I'd guess that the stage with the most flights will get special turn
around processing while stages with fewer flights will get faster turn
around.

That's likely true. You fly one booster more than the others then at
regular intervals you tear it down to inspect it to look for anything
unusual (fatigue cracking, seals breaking down, unusual wear, and etc).

Jeff

SpaceX: This changes everything. Vaughn Simon History 1 April 28th 16 12:12 AM
SpaceX and NASA Host Teleconference Today on SpaceX 2 Mission to Space Station Jeff Findley[_2_] Policy 5 March 4th 13 10:40 PM
SpaceX Alan Erskine[_2_] History 0 August 3rd 08 04:51 AM
SpaceX Craig Fink Policy 13 April 1st 07 12:53 PM
SpaceX tries again. [email protected] Policy 26 January 22nd 07 06:53 PM