Where No Beagle Has Gone Before

Old March 8th 12, 05:57 AM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

Default Where No Beagle Has Gone Before

It's March 8 already, in Japan's time zone, so This Day In
Peanuts History repeats this 1969 classic:

http://www.snoopy.co.jp/archives/history.html

For those looking after Tokyo reaches the 9th of March, try:

http://www.snoopy.co.jp/anohi/date/0308.gif
http://www.snoopy.co.jp/anohi/comic/0308.gif

--
http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/ Joseph Nebus
Current Entry: The Power Of Near Enough http://wp.me/p1RYhY-6X
Old March 8th 12, 08:57 PM posted to sci.space.history
B0b Mosley

On Mar 7, 10:57*pm, (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
* * * * It's March 8 already, in Japan's time zone, so This Day In
Peanuts History repeats this 1969 classic:

http://www.snoopy.co.jp/archives/history.html

For those looking after Tokyo reaches the 9th of March, try:

http://www.snoopy.co.jp/anohi/date/0...comic/0308.gif

....And it still hurts to think that it's been over a decade since
Sparky left us, the morning before his last Sunday farewell strip hit
the papers. I actually cried like a fracking baby when I read that
one, not just because all us "Peanuts" fans had lost a dear friend and
inspiration, but that Charlie Brown, the Little Red Haired Girl (all
three of them), Lucy, Linus, Snoopy, Woodstock, Franklin, Peppermint
Patty, Marcie, Rerun, Sally, Schroeder, The Kite-Eating Tree, World
War II the Cat Next Door, and even all the "retired" characters like
Shermy, Pig-Pen, "Butterscotch" Patty, Violet, 5, his sisters 3 and 4,
and even the long-forgotten Charlotte Braun, had all lost the creative
soul behind their voices.

....Sure, we still have 50 years of strips and at least three dozen TV
specials with gentle but valid messages of humor, hope, laughter and
inspiration to keep future generations "edumatained", but "Peanuts"
was such a unique and personal expression of Charles Shultz' own life
that his family was at least 99.999% correct in ending the strip as
opposed to letting someone else take over, no matter how familiar they
were with the characters. You could get away with that on "Dick Tracy"
because Tracy wasn't the alter ego or even a persona of Chester Gould,
and Chic Young's son and family were so wrapped up since birth with
"Blondie" that so long as there's a Young family member working on the
strip, Dagwood will continue making impossibly colossal sandwiches and
running over the mailman as he's late for work (again).

....But not with "Peanuts", Like Walt Kelly's "Pogo" and Al Capp's
"Li'l Abner", the strip was too closely tied to the creator to take
the risk of - dare I say this? - "damaging the franchise". Two guys
tried to revive "Pogo" about 25 years ago, but lacking Walt's unique
views on politics and life in general - much less how to apply it to a
bunch of swamp critters - it didn't even last six months before the
syndicate dropped it and now even refuses to admit it ever existed.
And while Hillbilly/"Hee-Haw" humor will be timeless, as the existence
of one Leonard McCoy, MD will provide proof thereof, there's currently
nobody around willing to take on a "Li'l Abner" revival who's got the
"evil eye perspektiv" of Al Capp on how things work in Dogpatch;
granted, I've seen a couple of sample submissions, including a whole
month's worth of strips done on spec, but all three writing teams
apparently just dug out the old "Schmoo" stories - and in one case,
the "Bald Iggle" as well - and just tried to rehash what even Capp
himself had already rehashed to the point where nobody buys Schmoo bop-
n-bags anymore because they're so passe. Gimme a Muhammed Ali one,
tho, and I'll buy two. But I digress...

....No, unless you can find someone whose own life experiences matched
Sparky's right down to a devout christian upbringing, owning a beagle
who slept on a doghouse, never could kick a football worth a frack,
couldn't win a baseball game to save his life, whose only successful
real-life sport was hockey, and had a life-long unrequited love with a
little red-haired girl, then you won't even come close to being able
to even mimic the heads, hearts and souls that Sparky put into each
and every member of the Charlie Brown gang. 50 years of strips is a
lot of reading, and even a rerun is still worth turning to the comics
page in the dwindling number of papers for a daily fix of "Peanuts".
But as timeless as the strip is - and as especially demonstrated by "A
Charlie Brown Christmas", which will outlive not only all of us but TV
itself - even the rare strips where the joke sort of fell flat will
still provide that heartfelt chuckle per day we all need at least once
of.

Keep resting in peace, Sparky. And from us Space Historians, thanks
for the inspiration you gave our heroes for all those years, as the
strip that started this thread was just one example of!

OM
Old March 10th 12, 03:59 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

When I first saw this discussion I thought it might be about the LM
Snoopy which may be in heliospheric orbit somewhere......
Old March 14th 12, 03:18 AM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

In bob haller writes:

When I first saw this discussion I thought it might be about the LM
Snoopy which may be in heliospheric orbit somewhere......

No, no fronts there. But the other piece of Snoopy's flight
to the Moon which makes the This Day In Peanuts History made it today:

http://www.snoopy.co.jp/archives/history.html

Or for more permanent access:

http://www.snoopy.co.jp/anohi/date/0314.gif
http://www.snoopy.co.jp/anohi/comic/0314.gif

--
http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/ Joseph Nebus
Current Entry: Introducing a Very Small Number http://wp.me/p1RYhY-7m
Old March 14th 12, 03:45 AM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

In B0b Mosley writes:

...No, unless you can find someone whose own life experiences matched
Sparky's right down to a devout christian upbringing, owning a beagle
who slept on a doghouse, never could kick a football worth a frack,
couldn't win a baseball game to save his life, whose only successful
real-life sport was hockey, and had a life-long unrequited love with a
little red-haired girl, then you won't even come close to being able
to even mimic the heads, hearts and souls that Sparky put into each
and every member of the Charlie Brown gang.

No, you're right. There's no strip which matches the blend
of everything which _Peanuts_ had, and kept thriving, for nearly as
long as Schulz had. And it's possible that no strip will be as
central to American pop culture, although they keep saying comic
strips never will be big again, and then new (and usually deserving)
big ones come up anyway.

There are several comic strips worthy of attention, though.
I think the strongest for capturing the world-of-children spirit is
Richard Thompson's _Cul de Sac_, although right now is a poor time
to start reading the strip since --- who says the universe isn't at
heart cruel and ironic? --- Thompson suffers from Parkinson's, and
other cartoonists are filling in while he tries new treatments. But
it has a fantastic voice.

http://www.gocomics.com/culdesac/

Brian Basset's _Red and Rover_ is deliberately set in a
nostalgically-remembered circa-1970, so besides generally sweet stuff
of a kid and his dog there's prime Golden Age of NASA stuff going on.

http://www.gocomics.com/redandrover/

In between weeks of editorial cartooning Darrin Bell's
_Candorville_ is also deeply interested in space, science fiction,
and their interactions. (A recent comment about the likelihood of
launching a spaceship to travel 600 light-years within the next
millennium brought Bell around to rec.arts.comics.strips, too.)
Last week's reruns included a nifty Apollo sequence, too, starting
on March 6 and running through the 9th.

http://www.gocomics.com/candorville/

And it's a clip art strip, but it's often a really bright
clip art strip: _New Adventures of Queen Victoria_, by Pab Sungenis,
and yeah, its punch lines sometimes depend on you being able to
recognize Edward IV in a picture, but the comment threads usually
clarify who's on screen. Beethoven is of course a supporting
character.

http://www.gocomics.com/thenewadvent...queenvictoria/

None of them fill the gap Schulz left, but, between all sorts
of strips there's much to appreciate.

Old March 15th 12, 02:45 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Joseph Nebus" wrote in message ...

There are several comic strips worthy of attention, though.
I think the strongest for capturing the world-of-children spirit is
Richard Thompson's _Cul de Sac_, although right now is a poor time
to start reading the strip since --- who says the universe isn't at
heart cruel and ironic? --- Thompson suffers from Parkinson's, and
other cartoonists are filling in while he tries new treatments. But
it has a fantastic voice.

http://www.gocomics.com/culdesac/

I've got to say, I find this one hit or miss, more often miss.

Brian Basset's _Red and Rover_ is deliberately set in a
nostalgically-remembered circa-1970, so besides generally sweet stuff
of a kid and his dog there's prime Golden Age of NASA stuff going on.

http://www.gocomics.com/redandrover/

This is one thing I miss from not getting the Washington Post any more. It
reminded me very much of Peanuts meets Calvin and Hobbes with a very
poignant nostalgia mixed in. Very cool comic for space cans.

In between weeks of editorial cartooning Darrin Bell's
_Candorville_ is also deeply interested in space, science fiction,
and their interactions. (A recent comment about the likelihood of
launching a spaceship to travel 600 light-years within the next
millennium brought Bell around to rec.arts.comics.strips, too.)
Last week's reruns included a nifty Apollo sequence, too, starting
on March 6 and running through the 9th.

http://www.gocomics.com/candorville/

Again, I find this hit or miss, but generally a hit. Local newspaper
doesn't carry it either though.

And it's a clip art strip, but it's often a really bright
clip art strip: _New Adventures of Queen Victoria_, by Pab Sungenis,
and yeah, its punch lines sometimes depend on you being able to
recognize Edward IV in a picture, but the comment threads usually
clarify who's on screen. Beethoven is of course a supporting
character.

http://www.gocomics.com/thenewadvent...queenvictoria/

Haven't seen this one.

None of them fill the gap Schulz left, but, between all sorts
of strips there's much to appreciate.

Probably one of my favorites these days is Pearls Before Swine. I think
partly because I know people like Rat, Pig and Goat.

oh well we will get to see beagle now Hayley UK Astronomy 2 March 19th 06 12:46 PM
Beagle 3? Ray Vingnutte Misc 2 November 4th 04 07:56 PM
Beagle: You get what you pay for... TaB h Policy 26 January 14th 04 10:25 PM
Go Beagle Christopher Policy 20 January 3rd 04 05:07 PM
RIP Beagle 2? Paul Henney UK Astronomy 21 December 31st 03 12:30 PM