Processes which propagate faster than exponentially

Old January 15th 10, 04:14 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro
I.N. Galidakis

Default Processes which propagate faster than exponentially

Apologies for the crosspost, but this is related to many areas. Is anyone aware
of any physical/chemical/nuclear processes which propagate at rates faster than
exponential?

From my search so far, it appears that the fastest processes available, like
cancer and viruses in biology, and nuclear explosions and supernova explosions
in physics all propagate at most exponentially.

Many thanks,
--
Ioannis

Old January 15th 10, 04:54 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro
jbriggs444

On Jan 15, 11:14*am, "I.N. Galidakis" wrote:
Apologies for the crosspost, but this is related to many areas. Is anyone aware
of any physical/chemical/nuclear processes which propagate at rates faster than
exponential?

From my search so far, it appears that the fastest processes available, like
cancer and viruses in biology, and nuclear explosions and supernova explosions
in physics all propagate at most exponentially.

Some processes are too fast to even have a decent way to categorize
the rate.

Take, for instance, the chemical core of a nuclear device. The pieces
are set off simultaneously so that the reaction need not progress from
a single point of ignition. The limit on the reaction rate is the
number of detonators used and the precision with which they can be set
off. Rather than being a log, a cube root, a square root or linear in
the reactant size, the reaction time can be held constant.

That's without considering Thiotimoline, a substance which, when
purified by repeated resublimation has a solubility reaction rate that
goes endochronic.
Old January 15th 10, 04:58 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro
Sanny[_2_]

On Jan 15, 9:14*pm, "I.N. Galidakis" wrote:
Apologies for the crosspost, but this is related to many areas. Is anyone aware
of any physical/chemical/nuclear processes which propagate at rates faster than
exponential?

From my search so far, it appears that the fastest processes available, like
cancer and viruses in biology, and nuclear explosions and supernova explosions
in physics all propagate at most exponentially.

Throw an Object in a Black hole. It will be faster than a Exponential.

Bye
Sanny

Know the strangest things from computers mouth.

http://www.GetClub.com

You can just chat with the computer on physics.

Old January 15th 10, 05:38 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro
Robert[_11_]

On 15 Jan, 16:14, "I.N. Galidakis" wrote:
Apologies for the crosspost, but this is related to many areas. Is anyone aware
of any physical/chemical/nuclear processes which propagate at rates faster than
exponential?

From my search so far, it appears that the fastest processes available, like
cancer and viruses in biology, and nuclear explosions and supernova explosions
in physics all propagate at most exponentially.

Many thanks,
--
Ioannis

i think some pulse lasers' amplitudes do.

any process that has a combinatorial component might well do. genetics?
Old January 15th 10, 06:50 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro
Robert[_11_]

Well, for anyone that hasn't kill filed me, the "worthless caveat" is
essential to the OP's question.

Would

as x-oo, for all t, f(x)/e^xt - oo

be an adequate definition for a function with faster than exponential
growth?
Old January 15th 10, 07:00 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro
Rod

"I.N. Galidakis" wrote in message
Apologies for the crosspost, but this is related to many areas. Is anyone
aware
of any physical/chemical/nuclear processes which propagate at rates faster
than
exponential?

From my search so far, it appears that the fastest processes available,
like
cancer and viruses in biology, and nuclear explosions and supernova
explosions
in physics all propagate at most exponentially.

Many thanks,
--
Ioannis

There seems to be a few examples of double exponential i.e. exp(exp(x))
see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_...nction#Physics

factorials or gamma function are also faster then exp

Old January 15th 10, 07:09 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro
I.N. Galidakis

Robert wrote:

Well, for anyone that hasn't kill filed me, the "worthless caveat" is
essential to the OP's question.

Would

as x-oo, for all t, f(x)/e^xt - oo

be an adequate definition for a function with faster than exponential
growth?

Yes. Sorry for the (created) confusion.

As far as I am concerned, I mean anything like: f(x) ~ a^x, with a e.

Thanks again to all the responders.
--
Ioannis
Old January 15th 10, 07:13 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro
I.N. Galidakis

Rod wrote:
"I.N. Galidakis" wrote in message
Apologies for the crosspost, but this is related to many areas. Is anyone
aware
of any physical/chemical/nuclear processes which propagate at rates faster
than
exponential?

From my search so far, it appears that the fastest processes available,
like
cancer and viruses in biology, and nuclear explosions and supernova
explosions
in physics all propagate at most exponentially.

Many thanks,
--
Ioannis

There seems to be a few examples of double exponential i.e. exp(exp(x))
see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_...nction#Physics

factorials or gamma function are also faster then exp

Thanks. That's one example. So the bound now moves to exp(exp(x)).
--
Ioannis
Old January 15th 10, 07:16 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro
Robert[_11_]

On 15 Jan, 19:09, "I.N. Galidakis" wrote:
Robert wrote:
Well, for anyone that hasn't kill filed me, the "worthless caveat" is
essential to the OP's question.

Would

*as x-oo, for all t, f(x)/e^xt - oo

be an adequate definition for a function with faster than exponential
growth?

Yes. Sorry for the (created) confusion.

As far as I am concerned, I mean anything like: f(x) ~ a^x, with a e.

Thanks again to all the responders.
--
Ioannis

in that case androcles is right and there are millions of examples. so
the question is pretty trivial.

a^x, even with a e, *is* exponential growth.

a^x = e^(x ln(a)). in other words all the a not being e does is change
the growth constant, but it's still exponential.
Old January 15th 10, 07:19 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro
Rod

Robert wrote:

Well, for anyone that hasn't kill filed me, the "worthless caveat" is
essential to the OP's question.

Would

as x-oo, for all t, f(x)/e^xt - oo

be an adequate definition for a function with faster than exponential
growth?

Yes. Sorry for the (created) confusion.

As far as I am concerned, I mean anything like: f(x) ~ a^x, with a e.

Thanks again to all the responders.
--
Ioannis

a^x = (exp(ln(a)))^x = exp(ln(a) x) = exp(b.x)
so this is not faster than exp

things like exp(a.x^2) are faster and exp(exp(x)) is really fast.
Look up tetration for something super fast but I don't know any physical
process related to it.