Today is the 400th Anniversary of Galileo Discovering Ganymede

Old January 13th 10, 05:36 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,alt.astronomy,alt.religion,alt.politics
giveitawhirl2008

Default Today is the 400th Anniversary of Galileo Discovering Ganymede

The other three Galilean moons of Jupiter - Io, Callisto and Europa -
he discoverd last Friday (400 years ago).

Let's go!

http://1mmph.yolasite.com/
Old January 13th 10, 06:48 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,alt.astronomy,alt.religion,alt.politics
lorad

On Jan 12, 9:36*pm, giveitawhirl2008
wrote:
The other three Galilean moons of Jupiter - Io, Callisto and Europa -
he discoverd last Friday (400 years ago).

Let's go!

http://1mmph.yolasite.com/

The amazing thing is that he used a telescope that had less
magnification (20x) and smaller aperture than a cheap chinese $10 set
of chinese binoculars.
www.wwnorton.com/.../images/18thc/telescope.jp

No wonder he had red-rimmed eys:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ga...arp.300pix.jpg
Old January 13th 10, 06:38 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,alt.astronomy,alt.religion
Androcles[_24_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
. ..
lorad wrote:
The amazing thing is that he used a telescope that had less
magnification (20x) and smaller aperture than a cheap chinese $10 set
of chinese binoculars.

Most binoculars have either 7X or 10X magnification; but the four moons of
Jupiter are visible through both magnifications.
Heck, I saw them once with my naked eye on a very clear, cold, and still
night by positioning myself so that Jupiter itself was occulted by a thin
twig on a tree around fifty feet from me.
All four have enough magnitude to be naked-eye visible, it's just that the
glare of Jupiter itself hides them from view.
My favorite was Galileo trying to figure out why Saturn looked so odd
through his telescope:
http://galileo.rice.edu/sci/observations/saturn.html

Pat

http://galileo.rice.edu/images/thing...ns_phases1.gif
Now why would the name "Huygens" be in that URL?
http://galileo.rice.edu/images/thing...ius_phases.gif
Now why would the name "Hevelius" be in that URL?

My favourite was Flannery trying to figure out why Galileo looked so
Huygens through his URL.

Old January 13th 10, 10:39 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,alt.astronomy,alt.religion,alt.politics
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_652_]

lorad wrote:
The amazing thing is that he used a telescope that had less
magnification (20x) and smaller aperture than a cheap chinese $10 set
of chinese binoculars.

Most binoculars have either 7X or 10X magnification; but the four moons of
Jupiter are visible through both magnifications.

I still recall the firs time I saw the moons of Jupiter. I used a pare of
binoculars.

VERY cool.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old January 14th 10, 01:21 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,alt.astronomy,alt.religion,alt.politics
Rich[_4_]

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

lorad wrote:
The amazing thing is that he used a telescope that had less
magnification (20x) and smaller aperture than a cheap chinese $10 set
of chinese binoculars.

Most binoculars have either 7X or 10X magnification; but the four
moons of Jupiter are visible through both magnifications.
Heck, I saw them once with my naked eye on a very clear, cold, and
still night by positioning myself so that Jupiter itself was occulted
by a thin twig on a tree around fifty feet from me.

You need pretty acute vision to see it though.

Old January 14th 10, 06:52 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,alt.astronomy,alt.religion
Androcles[_24_]

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

I still recall the firs time I saw the moons of Jupiter. I used a pare of
binoculars.

VERY cool.

Jupiter, the Moon, and Saturn are about the three most fun objects to look
at with a small telescope.
What amazed me was how fast the moons rotate around Jupiter, so that their
positions noticeably change in just a few hours.
At one time it was proposed that telescopic observations of them could be
used to determine a ship's longitude without carrying a chronometer by
carefully determining their positions relative to the planet and each
other and comparing that to drawings in a book that would show at what
exact time a certain alignment would occur.
Unfortunately, the pitching of the ship in the waves made the idea
impractical in a pre-gyro-stabilized era.

Pat

Good grief! A remote clock that anyone can see from anywhere!
Doesn't that upset the "genius" Einstein's time dilation?

"If we assume that the result proved for a polygonal line is also valid for
a continuously curved line, we arrive at this result: If one of two
synchronous clocks at A is moved in a closed curve with constant velocity
until it returns to A, the journey lasting t seconds, then by the clock
which has remained at rest the travelled clock on its arrival at A will be
1/2 tv^2/c^2 second slow. Thence we conclude that a balance-clock at the
equator must go more slowly, by a very small amount, than a precisely
similar clock situated at one of the poles under otherwise identical
conditions." -- Albert ****wit Einstein.

Old January 14th 10, 07:09 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Rich wrote:

You need pretty acute vision to see it though.

Although I tried it on several occasions (I read about the trick in a
book) it only worked once on a incredibly cold and still winter night
after a powerful cold front had gone through.
Those kind of conditions sometimes allowed up to nine stars to be
visible in the Pleiades if your eyes were dark-adapted enough.
That would usually occur around the time the frostbite was beginning to
set in. :-)

Pat
Old January 15th 10, 01:00 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,alt.astronomy,alt.religion,alt.politics
Jonathan

m...
lorad wrote:
The amazing thing is that he used a telescope that had less
magnification (20x) and smaller aperture than a cheap chinese $10 set
of chinese binoculars.

Most binoculars have either 7X or 10X magnification; but the four moons of
Jupiter are visible through both magnifications.

I still recall the firs time I saw the moons of Jupiter. I used a pare of
binoculars.

VERY cool.

One of the best memories of my old Meade 10" scope was the first
time I saw IO emerge from behind Jupiter.

Heck, I saw them once with my naked eye on a very clear, cold, and still
night by positioning myself so that Jupiter itself was occulted by a thin
twig on a tree around fifty feet from me.
All four have enough magnitude to be naked-eye visible, it's just that the
glare of Jupiter itself hides them from view.
My favorite was Galileo trying to figure out why Saturn looked so odd through
his telescope:

A fuzzy image makes Saturn look like a planet with 'ears'.