TOTALITARIAN SCIENCE (POSTSCIENTISM)

Old January 6th 10, 09:07 AM posted to sci.logic,alt.philosophy,sci.astro,sci.math
Pentcho Valev

Default TOTALITARIAN SCIENCE (POSTSCIENTISM)

http://exilestreet.com/?p=1337
"In the most notorious trial in the history of science, the
Inquisition condemned Galileo in 1633. The aged scientist was forced
to recant his life’s work. The fact that the earth revolves around the
sun threatened the church establishment's doctrine. Galileo was worse
than right - he was inconvenient. Since his trial, scientists have
mythologized him as their secular saint. How times have changed: With
the Climategate scandal, we now find scientists in the role of
inquisitors - suppressing inconvenient facts and persecuting
researchers who challenge the doctrine decreed by the Global Warming
clergy."

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/bauer1.1.1.html
"You begin to wonder, don't you, how many other cases there could be
in science, where a single theory has somehow captured all the
resources? And where competent scientists who want to try something
different are not only blocked but personally insulted?"

http://www.suppressedscience.net/physics.html
"Science is in a state of crisis. Where free inquiry, natural
curiosity and open-minded discussion and consideration of new ideas
should reign, a new orthodoxy has emerged. This 'new inquisition', as
it has been called by Robert Anton Wilson (2) consists not of
cardinals and popes, but of the editors and reviewers of scientific
journals, of leading authorities and self-appointed "skeptics", and
last but not least of corporations and governments that have a vested
interest in preserving the status quo, and it is just as effective in
suppressing unorthodox ideas as the original."

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...ent=a909857880
Peter Hayes "The Ideology of Relativity: The Case of the Clock
Paradox" : Social Epistemology, Volume 23, Issue 1 January 2009, pages
57-78
"The gatekeepers of professional physics in the universities and
research institutes are disinclined to support or employ anyone who
raises problems over the elementary inconsistencies of relativity. A
winnowing out process has made it very difficult for critics of
Einstein to achieve or maintain professional status. Relativists are
then able to use the argument of authority to discredit these critics.
Were relativists to admit that Einstein may have made a series of
elementary logical errors, they would be faced with the embarrassing
question of why this had not been noticed earlier. Under these
circumstances the marginalisation of antirelativists, unjustified on
scientific grounds, is eminently justifiable on grounds of
realpolitik. Supporters of relativity theory have protected both the
theory and their own reputations by shutting their opponents out of
professional discourse."

http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/hutchison/080616
"Like bronze idols that are hollow inside, Einstein built a cluster of
"Potemkin villages," which are false fronts with nothing behind them.
Grigori Potemkin (17391791) was a general-field marshal, Russian
statesman, and favorite of Empress Catherine the Great. He is alleged
to have built facades of non-existent villages along desolate
stretches of the Dnieper River to impress Catherine as she sailed to
the Crimea in 1787. Actors posing as happy peasants stood in front of
these pretty stage sets and waved to the pleased Empress. This
incident reminds me of the story of Eleanor Roosevelt's Moscow tour
guide who showed her the living quarters of communist party bosses and
claimed that these were the apartments of the average Russian worker.
The incredibly gullible first lady was delighted. Like Catherine, the
sentimental Eleanor was prone to wishful thinking and was easily
deceived. What has all this to do with Einstein? The science
establishment has a powerful romantic desire to believe in Einstein.
Therefore, they are not only fooled by Einstein's tricks, they are
prepared to defend his Potemkin villages."

http://web.mit.edu/keenansymposium/o...und/index.html
Arthur Eddington: "The law that entropy always increases, holds, I
think, the supreme position among the laws of Nature. If someone
points out to you that your pet theory of the universe is in
disagreement with Maxwell's equations - then so much the worse for
Maxwell's equations. If it is found to be contradicted by observation
- well, these experimentalists do bungle things sometimes. But if your
theory is found to be against the second law of thermodynamics, I can
give you no hope; there is nothing for it but to collapse in deepest
humiliation."

Beautiful totalitarian science for sale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

http://orangecow.org/pythonet/pet-shop.html

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong
with it?
Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead,
that's what's wrong with it!
Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.
Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm
looking at one right now.
Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the
Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!
Mr. Praline: No, I'm sorry! I'm not prepared to pursue my line of
inquiry any longer as I think this is getting too silly!

Note the desperate state Mr. Praline is eventually in: when things get
too silly fighters for truth get paralized and lies and absurdities
rule forever.

Pentcho Valev

Old January 6th 10, 10:19 AM posted to sci.logic,alt.philosophy,sci.astro,sci.math
[email protected]

On Jan 6, 3:07*am, Pentcho Valev wrote:
[...]

Plenty. The idiot Catholic Church is also why the
people who understand Post Cathedral Farming invented Helicopters.
It's why the people who understand Post Caesar Economics
invented Digital Computers. It's why the people who
understand post-Newton education invented AI. It's why
the people who understand Post Galileo Evolution
invented Weather Satellites. It's why the people who understand
DNA invented Holograms, rather than RNA. It's why the
people who understand Engineering invented UAVs, rather than the
Med.
It's why the people who understand time, invented
Atomic Clock Wris****ches, and Self-Replicating Machines,
rather than The Big Bang.

Old January 9th 10, 08:10 AM posted to sci.logic,alt.philosophy,sci.astro,sci.math
Pentcho Valev

The fundamental principle of Beautiful Totalitarian Science:

"If our walks are silly enough, we can deduce ANYTHING from ANYTHING":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w
Silly Walks Applicant: "Well sir, I have a silly walk and I'd like to
obtain a Government grant to help me develop it....I think that with
Government backing I could make it very silly." Silly Walks Director:
"Mr Pudey, the very real problem is one of money. I'm afraid that the
Ministry of Silly Walks is no longer getting the kind of support it
needs. You see there's Defence, Social Security, Health, Housing,
Education, Silly Walks ... they're all supposed to get the same. But
last year, the Government spent less on the Ministry of Silly Walks
than it did on National Defence! Now we get 348,000,000 a year, which
is supposed to be spent on all our available products."

L. McGlashan, Chemical thermodynamics, Academic Press, London (1979),
pp. 72-73: "For an infinitesimal change in the state of a phase alpha
we write
dU = T dS - p dV + SUM mu_B dn_B (1)
We regard equation (1) as an axiom and call it the fundamental
equation for a change of the state of a phase alpha. It is one half of
the second law of thermodynamics. We do not ask where it comes from.
Indeed we do not admit the existence of any more fundamental relations
from which it might have been derived. Nor shall we here enquire into
the history of its formulation, though that is a subject of great
interest to the historian of science. It is a starting point ; it must
be learnt by heart."

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00000313/
"A more important objection, it seems to me, is that Clausius bases
his conclusion that the entropy increases in a nicht umkehrbar
[irreversible] process on the assumption that such a process can be
closed by an umkehrbar [reversible] process to become a cycle. This is
essential for the definition of the entropy difference between the
initial and final states. But the assumption is far from obvious for a
system more complex than an ideal gas, or for states far from
equilibrium, or for processes other than the simple exchange of heat
and work. Thus, the generalisation to all transformations occurring in
Nature is somewhat rash."

http://o.castera.free.fr/pdf/Chronogeometrie.pdf
Jean-Marc Lévy-Leblond "De la relativité à la chronogéométrie ou: Pour
en finir avec le "second postulat" et autres fossiles": "D'autre part,
nous savons aujourd'hui que l'invariance de la vitesse de la lumière
est une conséquence de la nullité de la masse du photon. Mais,
empiriquement, cette masse, aussi faible soit son actuelle borne
supérieure expérimentale, ne peut et ne pourra jamais être considérée
avec certitude comme rigoureusement nulle. Il se pourrait même que de
futures mesures mettent enévidence une masse infime, mais non-nulle,
du photon ; la lumière alors n'irait plus à la "vitesse de la
lumière", ou, plus précisément, la vitesse de la lumière, désormais
variable, ne s'identifierait plus à la vitesse limite invariante. Les
procédures opérationnelles mises en jeu par le "second postulat"
deviendraient caduques ipso facto. La théorie elle-même en serait-elle
invalidée ? Heureusement, il nen est rien ; mais, pour sen assurer, il
convient de la refonder sur des bases plus solides, et dailleurs plus
économiques. En vérité, le premier postulat suffit, à la condition de
lexploiter à fond."

http://www.hep.princeton.edu/~mcdona..._44_271_76.pdf
Jean-Marc Levy-Leblond: "This is the point of view from wich I intend
to criticize the overemphasized role of the speed of light in the
foundations of the special relativity, and to propose an approach to
these foundations that dispenses with the hypothesis of the invariance
of c. (...) We believe that special relativity at the present time
stands as a universal theory discribing the structure of a common
space-time arena in which all fundamental processes take place. (...)
The evidence of the nonzero mass of the photon would not, as such,
shake in any way the validity of the special relalivity. It would,
however, nullify all its derivations which are based on the invariance
of the photon velocity."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...elativity.html
Why Einstein was wrong about relativity
29 October 2008, Mark Buchanan, NEW SCIENTIST
"This "second postulate" is the source of all Einstein's eccentric
physics of shrinking space and haywire clocks. And with a little
further thought, it leads to the equivalence of mass and energy
embodied in the iconic equation E = mc2. The argument is not about the
physics, which countless experiments have confirmed. It is about
whether we can reach the same conclusions without hoisting light onto
its highly irregular pedestal. (...) But in fact, says Feigenbaum,
both Galileo and Einstein missed a surprising subtlety in the maths -
one that renders Einstein's second postulate superfluous."

http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/henryMinkowski.pdf
"In September of 1905 Einstein published a development from relativity
- the discovery of the implication that E = mc2, and in this new paper
he mentions a single postulate only. But the paper contains a sweet
footnote: "The principle of the constancy of the velocity of light is
of course contained in Maxwell's equations." How I love that "of
course!" Einstein was human! I do not know if it is true, but I recall
being told that during the Middle Ages undergraduates learned to
multiply and divide using Roman numerals, while the exotic Arabic
numerals were reserved for the more advanced students. That is exactly
what we do today in teaching special relativity. Antique postulates
that are not of anything but historical interest to genuine physicists
are presented to students as "Special Relativity." Some books do
better than others in warning students how seemingly impossible the
second postulate is; but all have the students working out true but
unintuitive consequences (e.g. relativity of simultaneity) using
thought experiments with of course the second postulate producing the
bizarre result. A small number of texts (Ohanian, Knight, a few
others) at least follow Einstein's second paper in having but a single
postulate; but none do what needs to be done, which is to drop
Einstein and adopt Minkowski."

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00001661/
MINKOWSKI SPACE-TIME: A GLORIOUS NON-ENTITY
Harvey R. Brown, Oliver Pooley
"It is argued that Minkowski space-time cannot serve as the deep
structure within a "constructive" version of the special theory of
relativity, contrary to widespread opinion in the philosophical
community."

http://philosophy.ucsd.edu/faculty/c...st%20tense.doc
"In my opinion, by far the best way for the tenser to respond to
Putnam et al is to adopt the Lorentz 1915 interpretation of time
dilation and Fitzgerald contraction. Lorentz attributed these effects
(and hence the famous null results regarding an aether) to the Lorentz
invariance of the dynamical laws governing matter and radiation, not
to spacetime structure. On this view, Lorentz invariance is not a
spacetime symmetry but a dynamical symmetry, and the special
relativistic effects of dilation and contraction are not purely
kinematical. The background spacetime is Newtonian or neo-Newtonian,
not Minkowskian. Both Newtonian and neo-Newtonian spacetime include a
global absolute simultaneity among their invariant structures (with
Newtonian spacetime singling out one of neo-Newtonian spacetimes many
preferred inertial frames as the rest frame). On this picture, there
is no relativity of simultaneity and spacetime is uniquely
decomposable into space and time."

Old January 9th 10, 06:59 PM posted to sci.logic,alt.philosophy,sci.astro,sci.math
Zurab57

http://www.hep.princeton.edu/~mcdona...cs/levy-leblon...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...einstein-was-w...

http://philosophy.ucsd.edu/faculty/c...es/physics%20a...

Pentcho Valev wrote:

[...]

Do you need science yourself?

Old January 10th 10, 07:57 AM posted to sci.logic,alt.philosophy,sci.astro,sci.math
Zurab57

On Jan 10, 7:13*am, John Jones wrote:
Pentcho Valev wrote:
[...]

inquiry any longer as I think this is geratting too silly!

Note the desperate state Mr. Praline is eventually in: when things get
too silly fighters for truth get paralized and lies and absurdities
rule forever.

Pentcho Valev

My . Please right if you have any notes. I'll
quit the group.
Old January 10th 10, 10:29 PM posted to sci.logic,alt.philosophy,sci.astro,sci.math
Anders Eklöf

Zurab57 wrote:

My . Please right if you have any notes. I'll
quit the group.

Why? Just stop feeding the trolls.

Oh and another thing - you published you email address on usenet.
In due time it will be spammed to oblivion. Sorry.

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour
Old January 11th 10, 07:34 AM posted to sci.logic,alt.philosophy,sci.astro,sci.math
Pentcho Valev

The principle "ANYTHING can be deduced from ANYTHING" was introduced
by Clausius in 1850. Consider the following arguments:

(A) If it rains, then the soil is wet.

(B) If Peter and Paul are identical twins, then Peter looks like Paul.

(C) (Sadi Carnot 1824) If heat is an indestructible substance (cannot
be converted into work in the heat engine), then Heat Engine 1 working
between the temperatures T1 and T2 is just as efficient as Heat Engine
2 working between the same temperatures.

The prior (that is, before the premise is taken into account)
probability of A's conclusion is not zero so the combination "false
premise, true conclusion" is possible. In contrast, the prior
probability of B's and C's conclusions is virtually zero so the
combination "false premise, true conclusion" is virtually impossible.
Yet C's conclusion (the prototype of the second law of
thermodynamics), although deduced from a false premise and therefore
false as well, was crucially important for Clausius' and Kelvin's
careers so in 1850 Clausius advanced the following INVALID argument:

(C') (Clausius 1850) If heat always flows spontaneously from hot to
cold, then Heat Engine 1 working between the temperatures T1 and T2 is
just as efficient as Heat Engine 2 working between the same
temperatures.

Clausius' 1850 "deduction" had the effect of opening a Pandora box so
half a century later the scientific community was ready to accept the
conclusions of the following arguments:

(D) (Albert Einstein) If the speed of light does not depend on the
speed of the light source, then a situation is possible in which I
observe your clock running slower than mine and you observe mine
running slower than yours and both observations are correct.

(E) (Albert Einstein) If the speed of light does not depend on the
speed of the light source, then an 80m long pole can safely be trapped
inside a 40m long barn.

Old January 14th 10, 04:08 PM posted to sci.logic,alt.philosophy,sci.astro,sci.math
Pentcho Valev

Teaching Beautiful Totalitarian Science:

ftp://ftp.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/SI...orts/06-46.pdf
"From the pedagogical point of view, thermodynamics is a disaster. As
the authors rightly state in the introduction, many aspects are
"riddled with inconsistencies". They quote V.I. Arnold, who concedes
that "every mathematician knows it is impossible to understand an
elementary course in thermodynamics". Nobody has eulogized this
confusion more colorfully than the late Clifford Truesdell. On page 6
of his book "The Tragicomical History of Thermodynamics" 1822-1854
(Springer Verlag, 1980), he calls thermodynamics "a dismal swamp of
obscurity". Elsewhere, in despair of trying to make sense of the
writings of some local heros as De Groot, Mazur, Casimir, and
Prigogine, Truesdell suspects that there is "something rotten in the
(thermodynamic) state of the Low Countries" (see page 134 of Rational
Thermodynamics, McGraw-Hill, 1969)."

Learning Beautiful Totalitarian Science:

http://www.rsc.org/pdf/uchemed/paper.../p2_carson.pdf
"For many students, the study of thermodynamics presents problems; it
is seen as consisting almost entirely of equations which are not
understood and which have to be learned by rote in order to do
calculations and to pass examinations."