Dennis Tito announces manned Mars mission starting in 2018

Old February 28th 13, 06:38 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

Default Dennis Tito announces manned Mars mission starting in 2018

Dennis Tito announces manned Mars mission starting in 2018
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...space-science/

A man and woman will orbit mars and then return.
Round trip time about 508 days
http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/...le-to-mars-by/
Old March 1st 13, 02:20 PM posted to sci.astro
Martin Brown

On 28/02/2013 17:38, Jan Panteltje wrote:

Dennis Tito announces manned Mars mission starting in 2018
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...space-science/

A man and woman will orbit mars and then return.
Round trip time about 508 days
http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/...le-to-mars-by/

Will he also pay all their hospital bills in perpetuity after they get
back? Assuming that is they actually survive this pointless ordeal.

Kill two birds with one stone by sending Zubrin + ANO.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 1st 13, 03:10 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 01 Mar 2013 13:20:43 +0000) it happened Martin Brown
wrote in
:

On 28/02/2013 17:38, Jan Panteltje wrote:

Dennis Tito announces manned Mars mission starting in 2018
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...space-science/

A man and woman will orbit mars and then return.
Round trip time about 508 days
http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/...le-to-mars-by/

Will he also pay all their hospital bills in perpetuity after they get
back? Assuming that is they actually survive this pointless ordeal.

Kill two birds with one stone by sending Zubrin + ANO.

This question was asked, see the 90 minute press confernce on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qc_RycDf6hU

Tito stated that if Columbus had had the same mentality as you, he never would have left port.

It is not pointless, you will learn more form the destroyed inflated habitat by micro meteorites
or even heavy nuclei (cosmic rays) then by not going.

Toto is a very inspiring guy really,
ewe need people like him one makes up for a zillion complaining old women like you,
who are afraid of there own cat, a zillion lawyers working for them
because their coffee was too hot, and a zillion politicians who think creating jobs
consisting doing insane projects like acrobatics a few hunded miles up will help humanity.

Lets move on or nuke it al lsnd start over again.
Actually that is why we have wars IMNSHO, to get rid of the dead woood (and brains),
Let's go!

Old March 1st 13, 05:31 PM posted to sci.astro
Martin Brown

On 01/03/2013 14:10, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Fri, 01 Mar 2013 13:20:43 +0000) it happened Martin Brown
wrote in
:

On 28/02/2013 17:38, Jan Panteltje wrote:

Dennis Tito announces manned Mars mission starting in 2018
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...space-science/

A man and woman will orbit mars and then return.
Round trip time about 508 days
http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/...le-to-mars-by/

Will he also pay all their hospital bills in perpetuity after they get
back? Assuming that is they actually survive this pointless ordeal.

Kill two birds with one stone by sending Zubrin + ANO.

This question was asked, see the 90 minute press confernce on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qc_RycDf6hU

Tito stated that if Columbus had had the same mentality as you, he never would have left port.

And if Columbus had the same mentality as Tito he would set off in a
ship that he knew could *NEVER* land at his intended destination.

The analogy cuts both ways. Columbus did not have the option of sending
autonomous robotic probes to discover America - we do.

We are already at a stage where a robotic tools are more capable of
delicate work than a human in a pressure suit. And they are a hell of a
lot easier to deliver to the destination in full working order.

It is not pointless, you will learn more form the destroyed inflated habitat by micro meteorites
or even heavy nuclei (cosmic rays) then by not going.

You get a big brother with real teeth TV bonanza if it goes wrong but
that is about all. A bit like Apollo 13 but played out 30x slower.

Still it is his money so if he wants to waste it on a trip to Mars and
someone is daft enough to go on the jaunt then good luck to them.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 1st 13, 05:39 PM posted to sci.astro
Bill Owen

Jan Panteltje wrote:
Dennis Tito announces manned Mars mission starting in 2018
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...space-science/

A man and woman will orbit mars and then return.
Round trip time about 508 days
http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/...le-to-mars-by/

So I forwarded the announcement to my wife and asked her if she wanted
to go. She said "Sure, as long as it's a one-way trip for me."

At least she didn't say "Sure, as long as it's a one-way trip for YOU."

-- Bill Owen
Old March 1st 13, 05:58 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 01 Mar 2013 16:31:31 +0000) it happened Martin Brown
wrote in
:

[...]

Well, someone must break that craziness of NASA, bunch of liars they are,
finding life with Viking on mars and then denying it,
and then again a few month ago with that other robot.
then what is the point?
We need to go there, show that we can go there,
and once that is demonstrated for a small budget, disassemble NASA,
and use the money saved to fix the deficit.
No more ISS ****.

Will a robot on mars - or any other planet - help you when life on earth becomes impossible?

NASA is going backwards, first they could do a moon round trip for 2,
then only a LEO for a few, then only LEO with a Russian taxi,
and soon their engineers will need a Japanese car to go to work.

And life on earth WILL become impossible real soon with 0bama and his politics.
Or the lack there of (sane politics).

China will land on mars, it is already called 'the red planet', so that figures,
and if I did understand that doctor on that panel right: he is dreaming of having
an astronut jumping to mars from that orbiting spacecraft,
I replayed that sentence he so silently threw out at least four times
before I figured out his plans (he also worked on that record jump recently from outer space).
So lotsa fun, wonder how he gets back up, but then again
if you want to colonize mars, no need to go back up,
just parachute everything down!
Again, there is a lesson here, thinking out of the box is cool.