the god particle - question...

Old July 9th 12, 04:46 AM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro,alt.sci.physics
fabzorba

Default the god particle - question...

I've been following the search for the Higgs boson for years, and was
exhilarated when it was found just a few days ago by CERN. I am so
amazed that in its travels, it just happened to be in the vicinity of
the Swiss border just as these experiments were being carried out.
Talk about serendipity! Actually, it's more like divine providence. It
must have been, quite literally, "in the stars" for us to have found
it quite the way we did.

Myles [congrats to all those involved!] paulsen
Old July 9th 12, 08:19 PM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro,alt.sci.physics
Anthony Buckland[_2_]

On 08/07/2012 8:46 PM, fabzorba wrote:
I've been following the search for the Higgs boson for years, and was
exhilarated when it was found just a few days ago by CERN. I am so
amazed that in its travels, it just happened to be in the vicinity of
the Swiss border just as these experiments were being carried out.
Talk about serendipity! Actually, it's more like divine providence. It
must have been, quite literally, "in the stars" for us to have found
it quite the way we did.

Myles [congrats to all those involved!] paulsen

It's much more like being the result of an extremely vigorous
collision.

Old July 10th 12, 12:08 AM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro,alt.sci.physics
R H Draney

Anthony Buckland filted:

On 08/07/2012 8:46 PM, fabzorba wrote:
I've been following the search for the Higgs boson for years, and was
exhilarated when it was found just a few days ago by CERN. I am so
amazed that in its travels, it just happened to be in the vicinity of
the Swiss border just as these experiments were being carried out.
Talk about serendipity! Actually, it's more like divine providence. It
must have been, quite literally, "in the stars" for us to have found
it quite the way we did.

Myles [congrats to all those involved!] paulsen

It's much more like being the result of an extremely vigorous
collision.

Which origin also accounts for many of the people on Usenet....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Old July 10th 12, 02:23 AM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro,alt.sci.physics
fabzorba

On Jul 10, 9:08*am, R H Draney wrote:
Anthony Buckland filted:

On 08/07/2012 8:46 PM, fabzorba wrote:
I've been following the search for the Higgs boson for years, and was
exhilarated when it was found just a few days ago by CERN. *I am so
amazed that in its travels, it just happened to be in the vicinity of
the Swiss border just as these experiments were being carried out.
Talk about serendipity! Actually, it's more like divine providence. It
must have been, quite literally, "in the stars" for us to have found
it quite the way we did.

Myles [congrats to all those involved!] paulsen

It's much more like being the result of an extremely vigorous
collision.

Which origin also accounts for many of the people on Usenet....r

Tell me about it! If my mum had not dropped me on my head (off a
cliff) I coulda been
winning a Pulitzer instead of being a Bul****zer.

myles (Hey, I rhymed, I rhymed!!) paulsen
Old July 10th 12, 04:36 AM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro,alt.sci.physics
Robert Bannister

On 9/07/12 11:46 AM, fabzorba wrote:
I've been following the search for the Higgs boson for years, and was
exhilarated when it was found just a few days ago by CERN. I am so
amazed that in its travels, it just happened to be in the vicinity of
the Swiss border just as these experiments were being carried out.
Talk about serendipity! Actually, it's more like divine providence. It
must have been, quite literally, "in the stars" for us to have found
it quite the way we did.

I am dying to meet Ms Higgs now that I've discovered she has a god-like
boson.

--
Robert Bannister

Old July 10th 12, 03:59 PM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro,alt.sci.physics
Ian Noble

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:36:16 +0800, Robert Bannister
wrote:

On 9/07/12 11:46 AM, fabzorba wrote:
I've been following the search for the Higgs boson for years, and was
exhilarated when it was found just a few days ago by CERN. I am so
amazed that in its travels, it just happened to be in the vicinity of
the Swiss border just as these experiments were being carried out.
Talk about serendipity! Actually, it's more like divine providence. It
must have been, quite literally, "in the stars" for us to have found
it quite the way we did.

I am dying to meet Ms Higgs now that I've discovered she has a god-like
boson.

I'd prefer "godDESS-like". But there's no accounting for taste.

Cheers - Ian
Old July 11th 12, 02:03 PM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro,alt.sci.physics
Peter Moylan[_2_]

Robert Bannister wrote:
On 9/07/12 11:46 AM, fabzorba wrote:
I've been following the search for the Higgs boson for years, and was
exhilarated when it was found just a few days ago by CERN. I am so
amazed that in its travels, it just happened to be in the vicinity of
the Swiss border just as these experiments were being carried out.
Talk about serendipity! Actually, it's more like divine providence. It
must have been, quite literally, "in the stars" for us to have found
it quite the way we did.

I am dying to meet Ms Higgs now that I've discovered she has a god-like
boson.

In this connection, it's worth noting that most news reporters pronounce
"boson" with an /s/, while most physicists pronounce it with a /z/. The
latter are aware that it was named after someone called Bose. The former
are still trying to figure out what effect particle physics will have on
the football scores.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.
Old July 11th 12, 03:00 PM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro,alt.sci.physics
Peter Duncanson [BrE]

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:03:25 +1000, Peter Moylan
wrote:

Robert Bannister wrote:
[...]

The people making the public announcement at the press conference seem
to have missed an opportunity for a little joke. Everyone should have
been present and seated except for the person who was to make the
announcement. That person could then have entered the room being "piped
aboard" by sailors with bosun's pipes.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Old July 11th 12, 10:31 PM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro,alt.sci.physics
Mike L

wrote:

Robert Bannister wrote:
[...]

Maybe the Swiss navy haven't got any.

--
Mike.
Old July 11th 12, 10:39 PM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro,alt.sci.physics
Jerry Friedman

On Jul 11, 7:03*am, Peter Moylan
wrote:
Robert Bannister wrote:
On 9/07/12 11:46 AM, fabzorba wrote:
I've been following the search for the Higgs boson for years, and was
exhilarated when it was found just a few days ago by CERN. *I am so
amazed that in its travels, it just happened to be in the vicinity of
the Swiss border just as these experiments were being carried out.
Talk about serendipity! Actually, it's more like divine providence. It
must have been, quite literally, "in the stars" for us to have found
it quite the way we did.

I am dying to meet Ms Higgs now that I've discovered she has a god-like
boson.

In this connection, it's worth noting that most news reporters pronounce
"boson" with an /s/, while most physicists pronounce it with a /z/.

And most reporters I heard pronounced with a schwa in the second
syllable, while most physicists I've heard pronounce it with a /A/ or /
A./.

The
latter are aware that it was named after someone called Bose.

Who pronounced his name /boSu/ (at least while he was in India), if
we're to believe Wikipedia.

--
Jerry Friedman

New Particle HVAC[_2_] Misc 2 April 28th 12 09:40 PM
The J/psi particle is actually evidence for the positron/electronaether particle sea rather than quarks [email protected] Astronomy Misc 16 April 8th 08 10:55 AM
EXHiBiT VELOCiTY & SPEED of light ..for DiFFERENT particle COUNTs.!! EXHiBiT ERROR-BARs for ALL "in-vacu" PARTiCLE-COUNTs, Cracked-pot.!! Many DiFFERENT particle-COUNTs *NOT* different SiTUATiONs, Dimwit.!! brian a m stuckless Policy 0 November 21st 05 06:13 AM
EXHiBiT VELOCiTY & SPEED of light ..for DiFFERENT particle COUNTs.!! EXHiBiT ERROR-BARs for ALL "in-vacu" PARTiCLE-COUNTs, Cracked-pot.!! Many DiFFERENT particle-COUNTs *NOT* different SiTUATiONs, Dimwit.!! brian a m stuckless Astronomy Misc 0 November 21st 05 06:13 AM
God particle search Ray Vingnutte Misc 6 February 4th 05 06:47 PM