Dark Halo Around Our Galaxy Looks Like Squished Beach Ball

Old January 9th 10, 08:35 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
eric gisse

Default Dark Halo Around Our Galaxy Looks Like Squished Beach Ball

dlzc wrote:
[...]

Actually, Eric Gisse just said that it's known that the
dark matter halos of other galaxies isn't spherical
either,

He's wrong. (For once.)

Wow, I'm surprised. I might be mixing what I read yesterday about
simulations of galaxies that have non-spherically symmetric profiles but I
could have sworn I have read about there being an observed flatness in dark
matter halos.

I figured the best studied example would be our friend M31 - Andromeda - but
apparently spherical symmetry won that battle.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.4374

I wonder how the success of spherical symmetry (the NFW model, etc) has to
do with the fact that we only have visible what is projected upon our line
of sight.
[...]
Old January 9th 10, 11:50 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear eric gisse:

On Jan 9, 1:35*pm, eric gisse wrote:
dlzc wrote:

[...]

Actually, Eric Gisse just said that it's known that the
dark matter halos of other galaxies isn't spherical
either,

He's wrong. *(For once.)

Wow, I'm surprised. I might be mixing what I read
yesterday about simulations of galaxies that have
non-spherically symmetric profiles but I could have
sworn I have read about there being an observed
flatness in dark matter halos.

Yes. And in Andromeda too.

I figured the best studied example would be our
friend M31 - Andromeda - but apparently spherical
symmetry won that battle.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.4374

I don't see them saying that. More to the point, does only "Dark
Matter as stuff" permit spiral galaxies to have different shape DM
halos? I don't see MOND being able to do that, and my favorite, the
BHs at the center core form the halo is looking a bit weak.

I wonder how the success of spherical symmetry
(the NFW model, etc) has to do with the fact that
we only have visible what is projected upon our line
of sight.
[...]

David A. Smith
Old January 10th 10, 01:10 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
dlzc

Dear Yousuf Khan:

On Jan 9, 12:50*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On Jan 9, 8:46 am, Yousuf Khan wrote:

But I think you're probably not even thinking of that
kind of a merger. *You're probably thinking of two
galaxies whose disks are aligned and are landing on
top of each other like a couple of flying saucers?

Not with the shape of the DM halo. *At one angle,
they'd look like a plus sign, or an X.

Oh! Well, in that case we'd have seen more massive
disruption in our galactic shape right now.

Not if the "right angle" galaxy merged a few billion years ago...

Another thought, there's recent thought that our
galaxy is a barred spiral, whereas Andromeda is
a standard spiral. Perhaps the bar in the galactic
bulge creates a denser core?

Maybe. We really don't know what "80%" of our galaxy looks like.

David A. Smith
Old January 10th 10, 06:28 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan

dlzc wrote:
On Jan 9, 12:50 pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Another thought, there's recent thought that our
galaxy is a barred spiral, whereas Andromeda is
a standard spiral. Perhaps the bar in the galactic
bulge creates a denser core?

Maybe. We really don't know what "80%" of our galaxy looks like.

David A. Smith

It would've been easier if our solar system was sitting out in the halo
itself. What's the density of stars out in the halo? Since here in the
disk, we don't see another star for 4 light-years, how far would we have
to go see another star (on average) in the halo?

Yousuf Khan
Old January 10th 10, 06:29 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan

Sam Wormley wrote:
On 1/9/10 10:15 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

In case you haven't noticed, I have rejected your standard template.

Yousuf Khan

Because you like to cling to MOND that fails where GTR succeeds?

Maybe it's time you got some new material.

Yousuf Khan
Old January 10th 10, 06:40 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 1/10/10 12:29 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Sam Wormley wrote:
On 1/9/10 10:15 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

In case you haven't noticed, I have rejected your standard template.

Yousuf Khan

Because you like to cling to MOND that fails where GTR succeeds?

Maybe it's time you got some new material.

Yousuf Khan

Have you found an observation that contradicts a prediction of
general relativity?
Old January 14th 10, 12:18 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
gb[_3_]

On Jan 8, 9:02*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Of course, not mentioned in the article is the fact that this shape of
"dark matter halo" matches the configuration one might see with MOND.

* * * * Yousuf Khan
+++
SPACE.com -- Dark Halo Around Our Galaxy Looks Like Squished Beach Ball
"But the new study found that the Milky Way's halo isn't exactly
spherical, but squished. In fact, its beach-ball form is flattened in a
surprising direction — perpendicular to the galaxy's visible,
pancake-shaped spiral disk."http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/100106-dark-matter-halo-milky-w...

Energy comes alive from Ehrenfest contraction as energy bubbles. This
energy
is contracted horizontally in galaxies.
Old January 14th 10, 07:41 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
gb[_3_]

On Jan 13, 5:18*pm, gb wrote:
On Jan 8, 9:02*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Of course, not mentioned in the article is the fact that this shape of
"dark matter halo" matches the configuration one might see with MOND.

* * * * Yousuf Khan
+++
SPACE.com -- Dark Halo Around Our Galaxy Looks Like Squished Beach Ball
"But the new study found that the Milky Way's halo isn't exactly
spherical, but squished. In fact, its beach-ball form is flattened in a
surprising direction — perpendicular to the galaxy's visible,
pancake-shaped spiral disk."http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/100106-dark-matter-halo-milky-w...

Energy comes alive from Ehrenfest contraction as energy bubbles. This
energy
is contracted horizontally in galaxies.

Energy as a ball comes alive, contracted with Ehrenfest rotating disk
paradox inward the spiral disk.
As with a quantum particle, an energy ball which is product. There is
no perfect ball shaped
energy ball. The horizontal contraction of the ball determines the
dual dark matter effect,
one as contraction just in the disk, one as energy ball as energy that
came alive taking shape
of a ball. It is insane, MIND, mentally ill nuthouse department, mind.