'Objective' specifications for similar scopes?

Old June 12th 05, 01:28 AM
Reddog

Default 'Objective' specifications for similar scopes?

Hi all,

Q: Are there any sites that have done 'objective' scope comparisons?

I mean like the ones the old camera mags did for different lenses,
they used standard ways to compare resolution, colour balance etc. so
punters could look up reviews and compare specs.

I expect one would compare actual resolution, light gathering,
focusing, stability, build quality, mount specs, 'handling' issues,
motors. use for photography etc.

Also I am a bit surprised by how 'subjective' most of the comments I
have read about scopes are - it seems almost a touchy - feely -
emotional - thing!

Reddog.

Old June 12th 05, 02:13 AM
Bill Kelly

"Reddog" wrote in message
Hi all,

Q: Are there any sites that have done 'objective' scope comparisons?

I mean like the ones the old camera mags did for different lenses,
they used standard ways to compare resolution, colour balance etc. so
punters could look up reviews and compare specs.

I expect one would compare actual resolution, light gathering,
focusing, stability, build quality, mount specs, 'handling' issues,
motors. use for photography etc.

Also I am a bit surprised by how 'subjective' most of the comments I
have read about scopes are - it seems almost a touchy - feely -
emotional - thing!

Reddog.

I can't guarantee that the scope brands listed there are the ones you
want to consider, being in the UK, but www.cloudynights.com may be of some
help, Their are many reviews, and many comparisons, that you may find
hepful, even if only in a general sort of way.
Yours,
Bill.

Old June 12th 05, 07:48 AM

Two problems:

1) Cloudy Nights reviews are posted by the owner of the item in
question. This must almost inevitably result in some bias towards the
object. Since to criticise an item too heavily is suggesting that the
owner has bad taste or poor judgement.

2) The very few magazines that exist within the astro field are heavily
reliant on the hand that feeds them. (i.e., Astro retailers and
manufacturers) Camera magazines are thick on the ground and supported
by thousands of ads. They can afford to carry our objective reviews.
The same cannot be said of astro magazines.

3) The physical description of a telescope and its mounting might be
useful to potential purchasers. But telescopes suffer from "seeing
conditions" in use. Few magazines could afford the test equipment (Zygo
laser interferometer) to accurately assess an objective.

Old June 12th 05, 12:46 PM
Paul Buglass

wrote in message
oups.com...
Two problems:

1) Cloudy Nights reviews are posted by the owner of the item in
question. This must almost inevitably result in some bias towards the
object. Since to criticise an item too heavily is suggesting that the
owner has bad taste or poor judgement.

There are some excellent reviews on Cloudy Nights which compare 2, 3 or even
4 scopes (or other equipment such as eyepieces), side by side in a
comprehensive set of tests. They compare things such as build quality,
optical performance, ease of use, etc, all done on the same nights with the
same seeing conditions, etc.

I found a group test including the "Synta" 80ED with 3 other 80mm Apos, very
revealing, and as a result I am now a proud owner of a Skywatcher 80ED.

Very best wishes and clear, dark skies.

--

/Paul B, York, UK.
http://homepages.tesco.net/paul.buglass/astrohome.htm