You can see any star from across the universe...

Old June 3rd 18, 06:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

Default You can see any star from across the universe...

Their light often blends in with that of other stars. We don't know about their planets yet. We will have to go exploring to find that out.
Old June 5th 18, 08:59 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

The universe is obviously infinite.

The notion of across implies one boundary to another, which is
nonesense since there can't be any boundaries.

If you're looking at something billions of light years away, then it's
almost guaranteed to be long gone by the time you see it !
Old June 6th 18, 10:47 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 2:59:32 PM UTC-5 wrote:
The universe is obviously infinite.

The notion of across implies one boundary to another, which is
nonesense since there can't be any boundaries.

If you're looking at something billions of light years away, then it's
almost guaranteed to be long gone by the time you see it !

How do you know the universe is infinite? I say the universe is a certain size

and no bigger. If it all came from the Big Bang it has to be a certain size.

What it is surrounded by is infinite.
Old June 6th 18, 12:00 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

How do you know the universe is infinite? ...

If it's not infinite, then it's got to have boundaries. OK, so suppose
I go up to said boundary, and just point to the other side. What's on
the other side is also part of the universe, because the universe is
by definition everything. So boundaries can't exist. So the universe
is infinite.
Old June 6th 18, 12:07 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 6:00:02 AM UTC-5, casagi.. wrote:

How do you know the universe is infinite? ...

If it's not infinite, then it's got to have boundaries. OK, so suppose
I go up to said boundary, and just point to the other side. What's on
the other side is also part of the universe, because the universe is
by definition everything. So boundaries can't exist. So the universe
is infinite.

Something had to be there before the Big Bang. It was a kind of non-existence. This non-existence is what still currently surrounds the very finite universe. There has to be something for the universe to expand into. The universe came from one central place. This is scientifically proven and measured. It only can have expanded so far since then.

Old June 6th 18, 01:54 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

The universe always was, is now, and always will be.

It is infinite in all dimensions including time.

It has no shape in the usual sense.

Universe means everything, so there is nothing outside or seperate or
before or after.
Old June 6th 18, 04:27 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Our understandings may differ, but we can relate to a concept of the
universe, as demonstrated right here. Infinite by a kind of
extrapolated induction, but understandable in that sense. I'm
comfortable with the infinite character of the universe, even if it is
difficult or impossible to visualize.

What I find much more difficult or unreasonable, is the Big Bang
concept. It seems to be based on the assumption, that the current
apparent increasing distances between galaxies, can be assume constant
and extrapolated back 13.8 biillion years. Can anyone really believe
for e.g. that all the galaxies just spranf from a single point ? !