OT posters and kooks.

Old July 6th 08, 12:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
AM

Default OT posters and kooks.

Please people, DON'T argue with oriel (Gerhald Keller)
or the other kooks here.

And if you do, PLEASE don't quote their posts, please.
Those of us who have them killfiled dont want to have to
killfile you to.

AM
Old July 6th 08, 05:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Jul 5, 7:04*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
AM wrote:
Please people, DON'T argue with oriel (Gerhald Keller)
or the other kooks here.

And if you do, PLEASE don't quote their posts, please.
Those of us who have them killfiled don[']t want to have to
killfile you to[o].

* *You must be referring to Gerald Kelleher. If you ignore him,
* *he's mostly harmless.

You know how it is Sam,52% of people thought that the Sun orbits the
Earth in that game show and all due to the wonders of empiricists
such as yourself,not astronomers mind you,but empiricists

Be proud of your achievement where the majority of humanity do not
know basic astronomical principles such as heliocentric reasoning
while at the same time will wax lyrical about time travel,black holes
and all the other junk dumped into the celestial arena.

I am sure the majority of people outside this forum are enamored by
the idiotic 'leap second' adjustment but I wonder how many here now
take it seriously along with the reasoning behind it based on the
return of a star to a location representing axial rotation through 360
degrees.

Old July 6th 08, 05:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

AM wrote:
[...]

* *Gerald.. I will agree with you that it is a shame that
* *science illiteracy is so high in the US.... Some of us
* *work to help educate the public we come in contact with.

* *Science is not science unless it can be tested by observation
* *and experiment...

* *Leap seconds, although far from idea, are an attempt to
* *minimize timing discrepancies between clocks ticking of
* *internationally agreed to second and celestial observation
* *timings based on the rotation of the earth.

* *No need to reply as I won't likely enter into a debate with
* *you in this newsgroup at this time.

* *Take Care Jerald.
* -Sam- Hide quoted text -

There is no debate,technically there are no grounds for linking axial
rotation directly to a return of any celestial object in 23 hours 56
minutes 04 seconds,such a linkage requires incorporation of the
orbital motion of the Earth and the 'sidereal time' value is
calendrically based otr technically - based on 365/366 days enclosed
in a 1461 day cycle ending Feb 29th every 4th year.

Flamsteed and Newton may have convinced themselves that it was a
system of 365 days 5 hours 49 minutes but simple logic shows it to be
the calendrically rounded off system of 365/366 days,a mistake in
other words.

52% of people in France think the Sun orbits the Earth while the IERS
in Paris think the Earth rotates through 360 degrees in 23 hours 56
min 04 seconds - Sacrebleu Sam,Sacrebleu !

Old July 6th 08, 02:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Jul 5, 8:04 pm, Sam Wormley wrote:

You must be referring to Gerald Kelleher. If you ignore him,
he's mostly harmless.

Yes, but he takes up space, and his posts don't qualify as serious
amateur astronomy, so had this group been moderated, they likely
wouldn't appear here. People with expensive newsreaders have this
luxury called "killfiles", and so he is unhappy that people deigning
to prevent Oriel36 from leading those who don't astray are making his
work less well.

John Savard

Old July 6th 08, 04:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Jul 6, 6:53*am, Quadibloc wrote:
On Jul 5, 8:04 pm, Sam Wormley wrote:

* *You must be referring to Gerald Kelleher. If you ignore him,
* *he's mostly harmless.

Yes, but he takes up space, and his posts don't qualify as serious
amateur astronomy, so had this group been moderated, they likely
wouldn't appear here. People with expensive newsreaders have this
luxury called "killfiles", and so he is unhappy that people deigning
to prevent Oriel36 from leading those who don't astray are making his
work less well.

John Savard

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...3788ca54?hl=en

The science fictiion which began with Newton ended with the enjoyable
trekkie culture however ,like most people,I enjoy going to the movie
cinema occasionally but I would not want to live there and that is
what distinguishes true astronomy from speculative empirical
novelties.

Many people already know that Western science has returned to a molten
state after the exotic junk of the last century,while I cannot say
there is an appetite for genuine structural and timekeeping
astronomy,there is certainly none for the ridiculous pronouncements of
the last decade which became more and more exotic and ended with dark
this and dark that.

I offer astronomy which is closer to home, for instance ,a better
explanation for the seasons and subsequently a better platform for
climate studies or differential rotation of the interior leading to
evolutionary geological effects with the lessons drawn from stellar
rotational dynamics.I will even give Sam his experiments/observations
for this but judging by the inability to grasp basic heliocentric
reasoning or rather,the ability to defend an untenable view of
Newton,I have to place everyone in the same category as you and your
lovable trekkie way of thinking.

Old July 6th 08, 05:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
AM

Quadibloc wrote:
On Jul 5, 8:04 pm, Sam Wormley wrote:

You must be referring to Gerald Kelleher. If you ignore him,
he's mostly harmless.

Yes, but he takes up space, and his posts don't qualify as serious
amateur astronomy, so had this group been moderated, they likely
wouldn't appear here. People with expensive newsreaders have this
luxury called "killfiles", and so he is unhappy that people deigning
to prevent Oriel36 from leading those who don't astray are making his
work less well.

John Savard

Hi.

Thunderbird is free.

The filter works just fine, it's just that some people for
whatever reason just have to quote everything him and
the other kooks write. Never could (can) figure this out.

Clear Skies

AM

Old July 6th 08, 08:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Odysseus[_1_]

In article
,
Quadibloc wrote:

snip

[...] People with expensive newsreaders have this luxury called
"killfiles", [...]

My newsreader (MT-NewsWatcher) is free, and it has very comprehensive
filtering functions. AFAIK here are several such available for most
platforms: have a look on VersionTracker, Tucows or wherever.

--
Odysseus
Old July 6th 08, 08:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Odysseus[_1_]

In article ,
AM wrote:

snip

Thunderbird is free.

The filter works just fine, it's just that some people for
whatever reason just have to quote everything him and
the other kooks write. Never could (can) figure this out.

Me neither, especially when the content they add consists solely of a
complaint or flame concerning the very material they're redistributing

Anyway, good to hear Thunderbird has filters for newsgroups now; the
last version I tried (several years ago) could only filter e-mail.

--
Odysseus
Old July 7th 08, 04:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Jul 6, 9:49*pm, Odysseus wrote:
In article ,

*AM wrote:

snip

Thunderbird is free.

The filter works just fine, it's just that some people for
whatever reason just have to quote everything him and
the other kooks write. Never could (can) figure this out.

Me neither, especially when the content they add consists solely of a
complaint or flame concerning the very material they're redistributing

Anyway, good to hear Thunderbird has filters for newsgroups now; the
last version I tried (several years ago) could only filter e-mail.

--

Odysseus

There is no obligation for anyone to read any response I may write
when people do post threads relating to structural or timekeeping
astronomy but I also know that very people do such things nowadays for
obvious reasons.Writing about magnification equipment can only go so
far but the real pleasure is the celestial arena itself and to enjoy
how the motions of the Earth at various levels causes daylight/
darkness and seasonal variations.

The standard at present is that in terms of axial rotation,nobody
gives the right answer to the average rotation period of the Earth (24
hours/360 degrees) as determined against the annual orbit and without
that basic fact it is hardly a good point of departure for enjoying
why seasonal variations in daylight/darkness occur in the respective
hemispheres.

I am all too pleased that people run around announcing killfiles,I am
sure it must seem a brave thing to do but from my seat it is like
watching roaches scurry away when the light is switched on,not a very
nice thing to say but true nonetheless.The idea is not to kill
discussion but to argue for putting motions and observations into
proper context and unfortunately all I have to work with is a trekkie
and even I have only so much tolerance for that.

Old July 10th 08, 07:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
TMA-1

Gerald.. I will agree with you that it is a shame that
science illiteracy is so high in the US.... Some of us
work to help educate the public we come in contact with.

Science is not science unless it can be tested by observation
and experiment...

Obviously people like you are the reason the US is so dismal in
science education.

This Gerald creep is at the far end of the spectrum.