Boeing's 4 Million lbs Payload Rocket (LMLV) Large MultipurposeLaunch Vehicle Concept

Old June 5th 20, 03:14 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Scott Kozel

Default Boeing's 4 Million lbs Payload Rocket (LMLV) Large MultipurposeLaunch Vehicle Concept

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 9:29:08 PM UTC-4, Alain Fournier wrote:
On Jun/4/2020 at 21:15, Scott Kozel wrote :
On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 5:38:49 PM UTC-4, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

Besides, what payload of 4 million pounds (2,000 tons) would fit into the
payload capsule?

That is the weight of a large WW II destroyer warship.

Good question. Maybe the military has thought of something. Why yes
they have: tungsten rods

The Air Force's 'rods from god' could hit with the force of a nuclear
weapon ? with no fallout

Blake Stilwell, We Are The Mighty Feb 4, 2019, 10:05 AM

https://tinyurl.com/ycvjylx7

Imagine dropping 4 million pounds of tungsten rods on your enemy's
underground fortifications.

Interesting that you mention tungsten. It is a very dense material, 2.7 times
the density of iron.

Specific Gravity
Aluminum --- 2.80
Iron ------- 7.13
Lead ------ 11.34
Tungsten -- 19.25
Gold ------ 19.32

It also has a very high melting point. So it can survive entry in the
atmosphere.

6,192°F (3,422°C)

Iron is 1538 °C, ​2800 °F
Old June 5th 20, 01:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 2020-06-04 5:38 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
Imagine dropping 4 million pounds of tungsten rods on your enemy's
underground fortifications.

I'm gonna need a better hard hat.

Dave

Old June 5th 20, 01:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

It's high density is one reason it's used in ordnance. Depleted uranium
is sometimes used for the same reason (e.g. A-10 tank killer rounds).

Jeff