North Korean Explosion

Old September 14th 04, 01:14 AM
Peter Fairbrother

Default North Korean Explosion

There have been several reports that the North Koreans have told the Brits
that the recent explosion was deliberate, and was part of creating a new
hydroelectric project.

In the reports I have seen the North Koreans don't actually say the
explosion was non-nuclear - perhaps this is the first peaceful use of a nuke
bang? That would be a turnup for the books.

And for a treehuggin' project too!

"It's not a nuclear weapon, we don't have nuclear weapons. It's a piece of
heavy construction engineering equipment."

\fantasising

--
Peter Fairbrother

Old September 14th 04, 01:33 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Peter Fairbrother" wrote in message
There have been several reports that the North Koreans have told the Brits
that the recent explosion was deliberate, and was part of creating a new
hydroelectric project.

In the reports I have seen the North Koreans don't actually say the
explosion was non-nuclear - perhaps this is the first peaceful use of a

nuke
bang? That would be a turnup for the books.]

First?

Look up Project Plowshare.

Soviets had similar ideas.

Old September 14th 04, 02:17 AM
Peter Fairbrother

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

"Peter Fairbrother" wrote in message
There have been several reports that the North Koreans have told the Brits
that the recent explosion was deliberate, and was part of creating a new
hydroelectric project.

In the reports I have seen the North Koreans don't actually say the
explosion was non-nuclear - perhaps this is the first peaceful use of a

nuke
bang? That would be a turnup for the books.]

First?

First, at least afaik.

Look up Project Plowshare.

The US did some tests - but they never used a nuke bang for a real
construction project

Soviets had similar ideas.

Yes. But as far as I know they never did one "for real" either.

--
Peter Fairbrother

Old September 14th 04, 03:17 AM
Scott Lowther

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Soviets had similar ideas.

Yes. But as far as I know they never did one "for real" either.

Depends on your definition of "for real." Soviets made a short test canal in the
middle of the desert with (IIRC) five nukes in sequence. Whoop-de-doo.

Old September 14th 04, 05:30 AM
Gallery Neolithica

There is another possibility. A decoupled subterranean test with no
aboveground radiation signature, with a (nearly?) simultaneous aboveground
conventional explosion nearby. The world community sees a seismic signal,
the Koreans have a handy explanation. Neat. Anybody see a neutrino spike?

Old September 14th 04, 06:41 PM
Bill Bonde ( ``Soli Deo Gloria'' )

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

There have been several reports that the North Koreans have told the Brits
that the recent explosion was deliberate, and was part of creating a new
hydroelectric project.

It would be good for people to find out if there is any suitable water
for a hydroelectric project anywhere near where the explosion was. I
think it is far more likely to be sabotage. North Korea isn't known for
being terribly careful with dangerous things but this is two huge
explosions in a few months, the first of which is known to have blown up
a small town only a short time after the dictator of the country passed
in a train.

--
"The rabbits became strange in many ways, different from other rabbits.
They knew well enough what was happening. But even to themselves they
Old September 14th 04, 10:11 PM
Parallax

"Gallery Neolithica" wrote in message .com...
There is another possibility. A decoupled subterranean test with no
aboveground radiation signature, with a (nearly?) simultaneous aboveground
conventional explosion nearby. The world community sees a seismic signal,
the Koreans have a handy explanation. Neat. Anybody see a neutrino spike?

Russians attempted several nuke stimulations of natural gas wells.
Old September 15th 04, 01:02 AM
MSu1049321

Sydney Bristow wanted for questioning;-)