Barnard 343

Old January 27th 15, 07:51 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default Barnard 343

Barnard 343 is a much imaged dark nebula on western edge of LBN 223 which is part of the nebula complex 1.6 degrees west of Sadr. It is almost always imaged in narrow band. I much prefer the colors from LRGB imaging and the complex is certainly bright enough for this type of imaging. I don't understand why it is so rarely done as the colors are much stronger in LRGB than narrow band. Many posts of this object say it is in the IC 1318 nebula around Sadr though I don't see that as correct. Most sources make this nebula only about 50 minutes across. It would have to be three times that size to reach to Barnard 343. Also most images I found use high contrast that loses the detail inside the nebula. It isn't totally dark as it has areas in which some stars and nebula are seen through the cloud. Only part of it is so dense it blocks everything behind it. Even then there seems a slight blue cast across it due to something apparently closer to us than the obscuring cloud or itself is scattering blue light to some extent while absorbing everything else.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BARNARD343L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	859.7 KB
ID:	5502  Click image for larger version

Name:	BARNARD343L4X10RGB2X10-67CROP.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	5504

Barnard 145 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 January 12th 15 10:17 PM
ASTRO: Barnard 352 Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 1 March 19th 14 10:06 PM
Barnard 95/LDN 406 Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 1 March 3rd 14 07:55 PM
Barnard 104 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 0 January 14th 14 08:57 PM
Three Messiers and a Barnard (Obs.) W. H. Greer Amateur Astronomy 1 February 20th 07 07:30 PM