The Ares 1-X File

Old October 27th 13, 05:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default The Ares 1-X File

At 28 Oct 2009 Ares 1-X was launched. There was before some fear that
the first stage may crash in the second after separation. A principle
problem by the use of big solids. The TV of the flight showed exactly
such an event. But NASA said telemetry failed just seconds before the
crash and they had to wait the readout of the onboard sensor recorder.
I never read about the content anywhere. Now, after 4 years, is any
final report about this flight published?

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##
Old October 28th 13, 02:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article , n-
neckar.de says...

At 28 Oct 2009 Ares 1-X was launched. There was before some fear that
the first stage may crash in the second after separation. A principle
problem by the use of big solids. The TV of the flight showed exactly
such an event. But NASA said telemetry failed just seconds before the
crash and they had to wait the readout of the onboard sensor recorder.
I never read about the content anywhere. Now, after 4 years, is any
final report about this flight published?

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##

Considering that Ares 1 and Ares V were the "brainchild" of the, then,
NASA Administrator Mike Griffin, I doubt that such "bad news" would have
been widely publicized, even inside NASA. That said, there is some info
"out there" (mind the wrap on the links):

Executive Overview, National Aeronautics and Space Administration,
FEBRUARY 2011, APO-1096, Ares I-X Flight Data Evaluation
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/515784main_A...s%20I-X%20Flt%
20Eval%20Exec%20Overview.pdf

From above:

The completed flight evaluation is documented in ?Final
Flight Evaluation Report for Ares I Use of Ares I-X Data,?
APO-1041 which consists of 5 volumes totaling more than
1,600 pages of technical data, analysis, and evaluation
on the tasks that were performed. The report also contains
an executive summary, flight overview, brief summaries of
each task, and a summary of data quality and archival that
provides a level of detail this overview cannot.

So, there you are. If you want the "gory details", you'll need to find
a copy of the above document. A quick web search does not find this
document online, so you may have to look elsewhere.

Jeff
Old October 30th 13, 05:32 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

In article , n-
neckar.de says...

[...]

From above:

The completed flight evaluation is documented in ?Final
Flight Evaluation Report for Ares I Use of Ares I-X Data,?
APO-1041 which consists of 5 volumes totaling more than
1,600 pages of technical data, analysis, and evaluation
on the tasks that were performed. The report also contains
an executive summary, flight overview, brief summaries of
each task, and a summary of data quality and archival that
provides a level of detail this overview cannot.

So, there you are. If you want the "gory details", you'll need to find
a copy of the above document. A quick web search does not find this
document online, so you may have to look elsewhere.

Jeff

Thanks a lot Jeff. In other words, the result of the most expensive and
ambitious NASA SRM test flight is hidden somewhere in a 1600 pages
report at an unknown location. Ok. unlike the missing Apollo 13 final
report we know the title at least. I think its impressive how NASA
in the time of the internet can hide the main result of a well publicized
billion dollar program.

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##
Old October 30th 13, 10:05 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article , n-
neckar.de says...

[...]

This document (APO-1041) does not appear to be (currently) available on
the NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS), even though a search for "Ares
I-X" turns up 1,578 documents (plenty of reading there).

I'm not sure if you could find this document (APO-1041) by other means
(e.g. FOIA request).

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/FOIA/

My best guess is that this document might be considered proprietary data
(since this was a test by a contractor), so it might never be publicly
available.

Jeff
Old November 1st 13, 12:36 AM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:05:20 -0400, Jeff Findley
wrote:

This document (APO-1041) does not appear to be (currently) available on
the NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS), even though a search for "Ares
I-X" turns up 1,578 documents (plenty of reading there).

I'm not sure if you could find this document (APO-1041) by other means
(e.g. FOIA request).

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/FOIA/

My best guess is that this document might be considered proprietary data
(since this was a test by a contractor), so it might never be publicly
available.

Or it might have been ITAR'd by the crusading anti-China Congressman
who got NTRS taken down for months on-end.

Brian

Old November 1st 13, 05:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article , bthorn64
@suddenlink.net says...

wrote:

This document (APO-1041) does not appear to be (currently) available on
the NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS), even though a search for "Ares
I-X" turns up 1,578 documents (plenty of reading there).

I'm not sure if you could find this document (APO-1041) by other means
(e.g. FOIA request).

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/FOIA/

My best guess is that this document might be considered proprietary data
(since this was a test by a contractor), so it might never be publicly
available.

Or it might have been ITAR'd by the crusading anti-China Congressman
who got NTRS taken down for months on-end.

Also a possibility. You know those huge SRB's look an awful lot like
big missiles. :-P

My guess is that this document won't see the light of day.

Jeff

I've added FOUR updates to my Ares-1 article with some NEW calculations that (clearly) show WHY the new Ares-1 can't fly gaetanomarano Policy 0 November 12th 07 11:21 AM
NewSpace rockets __ EELVs __ Ares-I __ REVISED Orion/Ares-I __ FAST-SLV __ chances of success gaetanomarano Policy 9 June 16th 07 12:03 AM
in my opinion (both) Ares-I and Ares-V could NEVER fly once! ...could NASA rockets win vs. privates on launch date and prices? gaetanomarano Policy 0 May 10th 07 11:11 PM
You May Be On File Saul Levy Misc 0 September 17th 05 08:05 PM
Cat in Zero-G MOV file Scott Lowther History 56 November 13th 04 04:22 PM