NASA Urged to Reconsider Hubble Decision

Old March 31st 04, 01:25 PM
Abrigon Gusiq

Default NASA Urged to Reconsider Hubble Decision

Possible to do what I suggest below? Forgot to add Tech to this..

Mike

Abrigon Gusiq wrote:

Can you say Spray Foam? But first you do the normal, wrap in plastic, to
keep the foam in, then your pump the foam in, and let it harden, not
sure what would work in space?
And then attach the maneuver thrusters.. Need not be fancy. Might even
have some of them be the new Pulse Detonation Engine (Jets) for lower
orbit.. Amneiuver thrusters might be attached to the outside of the
Soyuz, I expect this will change the flight characteristics of Soyuz,
how much?

Is there any ways to attach on the outside of the Soyuz something?

Hubble is in a different orbit from the ISS? No way to bring it closer
to the ISS I suspect? But possible? Or worth it, will it still be
effective if made part of the ISS?

Mike

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote:

Abrigon Gusiq wrote in
:

Invid Fan wrote:

In article , Rand Simberg
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:05:58 -0600, in a place far, far away, Brian
Thorn made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:53:32 -0500, Mark Lopa
wrote:

I agree with another post...I astronauts would jump at the
opportuity to not only fly a
mission to service the HST, but to also bring it home.

The astronaut corps evidently has already weighed-in against a
Hubble Retrieval Mission. I'm sure they'd agree to fly SM-4, but
they clearly are against risking their lives just to bring home a
trophy for the Smithsonian.

Then I'd say we need some new astronauts. They've certainly risked
their lives for lesser causes, and I'd risk my life just to go into
space.

So I'm glad you're willing to risk theirs When the new Smithsonian
museum opened it was mentioned that Hubble wouldn't be brought back
down, as iirc the shuttle has never landed with that much weight in
it and it just wasn't worth the risk. I'd like to bring it down, but
I have an image of it not tied down enough in the cargo bay and
shifting at the wrong time...

One way to bring it back, would be to go up, and wrap it in asbestos
or like material in a cacoon like structure, and bring it back, with
maneuver rockets attached for control,a and then a few parachutes once
you get it thru the upper atmosphere?

*Who* goes up? There isn't going to be a shuttle mission there. Soyuz
can't get there from Baikonur. Soyuz could get there from Kourou, *if* the
Soyuz pad gets built there, and *if* Kourou is equipped to handle the
manned Soyuz spacecraft (both of which are *far* from done deals). But even
then, Soyuz doesn't have the lift capacity to carry EVA suits, much less
the "coccoon-like structure with maneuver rockets" you propose to attach to
HST, nor the ability to stage a standalone EVA.

--
JRF