Saturn space art version 2

Old March 2nd 07, 05:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
robert casey

Default Saturn space art version 2

changed it a little to make it look better

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saturnminasview.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	475
Old March 2nd 07, 07:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

robert casey wrote:
changed it a little to make it look better

I think your first version is more what an astronaut would see.
Sunlight is only a bit brighter than 1% what it is here but both Mimas
and Saturn have a much higher albedo than we normally find on earth.
Though with all our snow that's not my case currently. Then looking
through a visor would make seeing stars even more difficult. Maybe a
couple bright ones might be seen if you knew where to look. Otherwise I
would think the sky would be pretty star free on the sunlit side of
Mimas with a full Saturn in view. But then that's impossible! If you
see a full Saturn from Mimas you'd have to be on the dark side of Mimas.

In your picture we can't tell if Saturn is full phase. At parts of
Saturn's year its shadow only reaches the edge of the rings so Mimas can
be full phase at those times -- I think that's right. Just that this
isn't currently that time judging by the newly released Cassini photos.
It would be in eclipse when "full".

Anyway this is starting to make my brain hurt. I always failed those
unfolded box questions on the IQ tests!

With artistic license anything's possible so its rather a moot issue
anyway. It's just that you got my brain wondering and that's dangerous.

Rick

Old March 2nd 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
robert casey

Otherwise I would
think the sky would be pretty star free on the sunlit side of Mimas with
a full Saturn in view. But then that's impossible! If you see a full
Saturn from Mimas you'd have to be on the dark side of Mimas.

In your picture we can't tell if Saturn is full phase.

Saturn is in a gibbous phase, the Sun's light about 30 degrees to the
left. So there would be sunlight at our position on Minas, but the
shadows of the "rocks" should be much more stretched out. As they are,
it's too wrong to really work in this picture. Maybe version 3.0 is in
the works... In a sense, as Saturn's center is just below the horizon,
we are standing on the "farside" (but close to the border of the
"nearside") and thus another reason to be in sunlight.

With artistic license anything's possible so its rather a moot issue
anyway. It's just that you got my brain wondering and that's dangerous.

I have to go down to the DMV and get my artistic license renewed.. :-)