Cosmos 90GT WIFI, new toy

Old January 13th 19, 08:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Default Cosmos 90GT WIFI, new toy

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yMMAA...APf/s-l500.jpg

Picked up this new gadget on ebay for $90 incl. shp. + came with NexStar hand controller too.
I have an 80mm f/6 APO 6 lb weight, thought this is very light mount with goto, but may work well with my short APO. Easy to move and set-up to my back yard for quick peek.
2 days ago had break in the clouds , sun came out, thought take a peek at it, if there]re any sunspots? Set up was 5 min, level the mount, did a one star alignment on planet, the Sun and let it go. Tracked very nicely for all most an hour, once or twice needed slight correction after sun got close to the 10 mm eyepiece I used. Hey, it's only a 1 star alignment???
Very happy, can't wait for a clear night for more test.
First, I thought the wifi part is not working, 'cause the seller gave me the hand controller, which is not part of the original package, but after taking it apart, tinkering with it, found a small hole on the side, there's a the "reset" button inside! It made it work. Hurray!!!
Had an older ASUS tablet with Android 4.4 OS installed, which should work with the free star chart program Celestron providing for the mount (download).
I was able to connect to the mounts wifi and slew the scope, giving commands, pointing it at different sky objects. Fantastic, very happy.
This was inside my living room, next test outside, when the sky clears!
Handy little goto mount for my 80 mm APO, looking it the planets, double stars, eclipses etc...!
Can't beat the price for $90 bucks? LOL!

Old January 13th 19, 03:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Sunday, 13 January 2019 02:41:01 UTC-5, StarDust wrote:
[...]

Pretty remarkable what can be had for little money. Mating to the apo might a bit of a chore, unless it's got (can't tell) a Vixen rail slot.
Old January 13th 19, 05:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 6:10:56 AM UTC-8, RichA wrote:
[...]

Yes, it has Vixen dovetail, so different OTA's can be mounted up to 8 LB.
Even DSLR camera for short exposure, using it in EQ mode /w wedge, some what longer exposures!
Maybe a 4-5" or even 6" SCT, Mac or Newt can be used for more light gathering, but no long tube OTA of any, 'cause the balancing issue!
The NexStar GT/SLT sold with 5" F/5 newts!
This mount is the same as the GT/SLT, just wifi and pretty blinking lights added to it!
I think, the goto head can handle more weight, but the tripod has to be upgraded!
Anyway, I'm having fun!
Old January 13th 19, 05:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

[...]

Oh, it's Price: $199.95 & FREE Shipping. at Amazon!
What a steal?
Don't come with NexStar hand control paddle though?
$50 bucks on ebay, used!
https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-COS.../dp/B00I0S780O