Where atmospheric Nitrogen comes from?

Old March 24th 07, 09:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Protagonist

Default Where atmospheric Nitrogen comes from?

Most our Oxygen 21% comes from photosynthesis, plant life!
Our atmosphere is 80% nitrogen, where does it come from?
Thx!
JS

Old March 25th 07, 01:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Protagonist

Sam Wormley wrote:
Protagonist wrote:
Most our Oxygen 21% comes from photosynthesis, plant life!
Our atmosphere is 80% nitrogen, where does it come from?
Thx!
JS

Vulcan ism.

The solar nebular contained all the oxygen and nitrogen.
the region out to about 30 AU was later swept up into
planets and asteroids.

Earth's Early Years: Differentiation, Water and Early Atmosphere

http://www.globalchange.umich.edu/gl...ion_years.html

Origin of the Earth's Atmosphere
http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfjps/1400/atmos_origin.html

OK! Than what maintains todays 80% Nitrogen gases in the our atmospheres!
Does animal life contribute to it, like termites, cows etc... breathing
out ammonia?
Thx!
JS
Old March 25th 07, 05:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_1_]

Protagonist wrote:
Does animal life contribute to it, like termites, cows etc... breathing
out ammonia?

I *think*, but don't know for sure, that it's basically too inert to
get absorbed, too massive to leak into outer space.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html
Old March 25th 07, 06:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_1_]

Chris L Peterson wrote:
It's not _that_ inert.

Yeah, I know. I don't know what I was thinking. Obviously not the
nitrogen cycle.

Chalk it up to brain fade.

Old March 25th 07, 09:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Joe S.

"Brian Tung" wrote in message
Chris L Peterson wrote:
It's not _that_ inert.

Yeah, I know. I don't know what I was thinking. Obviously not the
nitrogen cycle.

Chalk it up to brain fade.

Not breathing enough nitrogen in your air??