Abell Planetary Nebulae and NGC numbers

Old January 17th 05, 06:14 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default Abell Planetary Nebulae and NGC numbers

Folks,

I am trying to locate a list of the 86 members of the Abell Planetary
Nebula catalog with associated NGC numbers. Any leads to such a list
would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony.

Old January 17th 05, 10:29 PM
Tom Polakis

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

I am trying to locate a list of the 86 members of the Abell Planetary

Nebula catalog with associated NGC numbers.

Hi Anthony,

Your request piqued my interest. I initially thought that only one of
the Abell planetaries was in the NGC/IC catalogues: Abell 37 = IC 972.
But here's a link to a table posted by the British Astronomical
Association which reminded me that there are two mo

http://www.britastro.org/dss/abell_table.htm

The Abell planetary nebulae were discovered by surveying POSS plates,
which didn't exist until the 1950's. It's not surprising that the vast
majority of them eluded the NGC and IC catalogues.

Tom

Old January 18th 05, 12:01 AM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Tom Polakis wrote:

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

I am trying to locate a list of the 86 members of the Abell Planetary

Nebula catalog with associated NGC numbers.

Hi Anthony,

Hi Tom,

Your request piqued my interest. I initially thought that only one of

We can both thank the excellent article in the most recent issue of
Astronomy Magazine as well. :-)

the Abell planetaries was in the NGC/IC catalogues: Abell 37 = IC 972.
But here's a link to a table posted by the British Astronomical
Association which reminded me that there are two mo

http://www.britastro.org/dss/abell_table.htm

Good stuff! Thanks a lot.

The Abell planetary nebulae were discovered by surveying POSS plates,
which didn't exist until the 1950's. It's not surprising that the vast
majority of them eluded the NGC and IC catalogues.

Thanks for the clarification as to why not many of them are in either of
the two catalogs which now makes a lot of sense given your description.

I would like to start imaging these nebulas and would like to plan some
sort of presentation format and, hence, for my initial request.

Clear skies !

Anthony.

Tom

Old January 18th 05, 04:15 AM
canopus56

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
I am trying to locate a list of the 86 members of the Abell Planetary

Nebula catalog with associated NGC numbers.

=====================
Abell, G. O. , Properties of Some Old Planetary Nebulae
Astrophysical Journal, vol. 144, p.259 04/1966
1966ApJ...144..259A
Article link:
http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/n...osetcook ie=1

Link to Simbad database x-referencing Abell number to current Simbad
object:
http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbo.pl?...pJ...144..259A

=====================
Abell, G. O. , Globular Clusters and Planetary Nebulae Discovered on
the National Geographic Society-Palomar Observatory Sky Survey
Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, Vol. 67, No.
397, p.258-261 08/1955
1955PASP...67..258A

Article link:
http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/n...osetcook ie=1

Link to Simbad database x-referencing Abell number to current Simbad
object:
http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbo.pl?...ASP...67..258A
Enjoy - Canopus56

Old January 18th 05, 10:46 AM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Canopus56,

Thank you for the GREAT references below. They are truly very helpful
and informative.

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Old January 19th 05, 08:10 PM
canopus56

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
Thank you for the GREAT references below.

You're welcome. Also to use individual Abell identifiers in the Simbad
database at -

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/sim-fid.pl

- enter the Abell number in either the 1955 or 1966 catalogues in the
format "PN Ann nn", e.g. -

To find Enter

NGC 6742 PN A55 39
PN G144.3-15.5 PN A66 4