Hate to say this NASA announcing planet X discovery

Old March 15th 04, 01:35 AM
Jose Suro

Default Hate to say this NASA announcing planet X discovery

Tomorow at 1:00 pm NASA has a news conference announcing the discovery of
another "planet" orbiting the Sun. The preliminary name is Sedna.

Best,

JAS

Old March 15th 04, 02:16 AM
Orion

Doesn't sound as those it is going to be nearly big enough to classify as a
planet. If so, it had better be at least as big as Pluto...
Orion

"Jose Suro" wrote in message
m...
Tomorow at 1:00 pm NASA has a news conference announcing the discovery of
another "planet" orbiting the Sun. The preliminary name is Sedna.

Best,

JAS

---

Old March 15th 04, 02:26 AM
Sam Wormley

Jose Suro wrote:

Tomorow at 1:00 pm NASA has a news conference announcing the discovery of
another "planet" orbiting the Sun. The preliminary name is Sedna.

Try: http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Headlines.html
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/mpec/K04/K04D15.html

The 2:3 Neptune-resonance orbit keeps the object more than 18 AU from
Neptune over a 14 000-year period.

Frequently Asked Questions About 2004 DW
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~chad/2004dw/
Old March 15th 04, 05:09 AM

"Jose Suro" wrote in message
m...
Tomorow at 1:00 pm NASA has a news conference announcing the discovery of
another "planet" orbiting the Sun. The preliminary name is Sedna.

Best,

JAS

You sure it's not Sedona? I think I saw something about it on a New Age spa
brochure about four years ago. I can't remember much about it but that it
was allegedly "out of this world".

Old March 15th 04, 05:25 AM
Bill Ferris

The object being announced Monday is not 2004 DW.

Here's a quote from Jim Scotti on the Minor Planet Mail List:

"Actually, the object that is to be announced is most decidedly not 2004 DW,
but another object on a very different orbit. Dr. Brown gave a talk here at
LPL a couple weeks ago where he showed us images of this new object (as well
as telling us about the discovery of 2004 DW) and described briefly what he
knew of it at the time and of some of the implications of its existance.
Trust me, it is a unique object in our inventory, nothing like any other
object we've ever seen, but probably not the only one of its kind."

Sounds quite interesting and, if it really is cruising the inner Oort Cloud as
has been suggested in an HST tasking document, may well be larger than Earth.

Regards,

Bill Ferris
Flagstaff, Arizona USA

Sam Wormley wrote:
Try: http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Headlines.html
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/mpec/K04/K04D15.html

The 2:3 Neptune-resonance orbit keeps the object more than 18 AU from
Neptune over a 14 000-year period.

Frequently Asked Questions About 2004 DW
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~chad/2004dw/

Bill Ferris
"Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"
Email: Remove "ic" from .comic above to respond

Old March 15th 04, 06:27 AM
CLT

Default NASA Schedules News Briefing About Unusual Solar Object ( was Hate to say this...)

Let's try and maintain the esprit de corps with just the normative
neurotic stuff, please.

"Normative neurotic" is my natural condition.

;-)

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/
Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
************************************

--
-John Steinberg
email: lid

...And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
--Sir Bedevere

Old March 15th 04, 06:39 AM
Greg Crinklaw

There's been a lot of unreliable information going around about this.

More info (hopefully reliable):
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/sedna/

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

To reply remove spleen

Old March 15th 04, 07:13 AM
TommyBoy

Sam Wormley wrote in message ...
Jose Suro wrote:

Tomorow at 1:00 pm NASA has a news conference announcing the discovery of
another "planet" orbiting the Sun. The preliminary name is Sedna.

Try: http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Headlines.html
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/mpec/K04/K04D15.html

The 2:3 Neptune-resonance orbit keeps the object more than 18 AU from
Neptune over a 14 000-year period.

Frequently Asked Questions About 2004 DW
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~chad/2004dw/

Just as Nancy predicted. Excellent!

Heh.
Old March 15th 04, 07:23 AM
RM Mentock

"Greg Crinklaw" wrote in message
There's been a lot of unreliable information going around about this.

More info (hopefully reliable):
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/sedna/

well, it does say that the discovery was announced Mar 15 2004. Tomorrow

so they've got that right

--
RM Mentock

Does anyone here know the conversion factor from cm to mm?

Old March 15th 04, 09:57 AM
jerry warner

Bill Ferris wrote:

has been suggested in an HST tasking document, may well be larger than Earth.

why would that be?
Jerry

Regards,

Bill Ferris
Flagstaff, Arizona USA

Early CEV Mission Blurrt Policy 76 February 5th 04 05:45 PM
NASA's year of sorrow, recovery, progress and success Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 December 31st 03 08:28 PM
Lowell Observatory and Discovery Communications Announce Partnership To Build Innovative Telescope Technology Ron Baalke Technology 0 October 16th 03 06:17 PM
NASA, Carnegie Mellon Inspire Future Robotics Engineers Ron Baalke Astronomy Misc 0 July 16th 03 10:04 PM
NASA: Gases Breached Wing of Shuttle Atlantis in 2000 Rusty Barton Space Shuttle 2 July 10th 03 01:27 AM