Is there a...

Old May 4th 16, 07:42 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Is there a...

low bit rate (sounds a bit like RTTY) transmitter on the ISS on around
149.9xx Mhz? I ask as there is definitely such a transmission and though
I've not checked the times exactly it seems to be around the times one would
expect to be in range of the station from the UK.
The doppler shift variation is very large and very hard to keep in tune
manually.
Its obviously in quite a low Earth orbit as this kind of doppler effect
does not happen on spacecraft up where the weather sats are on 137Mhz.
Its also an unusual freqency to use, often these tend to be russian in
origin from memory.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Old May 4th 16, 08:42 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Remember when Brian Gaff bragged outrageously? That was Tuesday:
low bit rate (sounds a bit like RTTY) transmitter on the ISS on around
149.9xx Mhz? I ask as there is definitely such a transmission and though I've
not checked the times exactly it seems to be around the times one would
expect to be in range of the station from the UK.
The doppler shift variation is very large and very hard to keep in tune
manually.
Its obviously in quite a low Earth orbit as this kind of doppler effect does
not happen on spacecraft up where the weather sats are on 137Mhz.
Its also an unusual freqency to use, often these tend to be russian in
origin from memory.
Brian

That's a bit high for the amateur band transmitters; IIRC, those are on
low band (143/144 MHz). On ISS (and on the Shuttle) those are usually
used for voice contacts, often coordinated with volunteers visiting a
school.

/dps

--
"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler
Old May 4th 16, 10:25 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Actually, its not ham related as its there all the time, so to speak. I
wondered if any experiments up there might use such an unusual frequency. I
know that some times in the past the Russians did use some frequencies up
around 147Mhz for voice comms when over the country, but unless someone can
decode this strange signal and positively identify it al one can say for
sure is that it is space based and in a low earth orbit. If it were too low
it would have re entered by now though.
Definitely multiple FSK signals either side of a blank carrier is what it
sounds like on my receiver but as I say the speed as viewed from here is
varying widely and then stabilises then varies again. Without knowing the
centre frequency it is actually on it would be hard to say when its coming
toward you or moving away.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...

low bit rate (sounds a bit like RTTY) transmitter on the ISS on around
149.9xx Mhz? I ask as there is definitely such a transmission and though
I've not checked the times exactly it seems to be around the times one
would
expect to be in range of the station from the UK.
The doppler shift variation is very large and very hard to keep in tune
manually.
Its obviously in quite a low Earth orbit as this kind of doppler effect
does not happen on spacecraft up where the weather sats are on 137Mhz.
Its also an unusual freqency to use, often these tend to be russian in
origin from memory.

Unsure of the details, but this is a high level overview for those who
have never heard of this before.

International Space Station Reference
Ham Radio
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/reference/radio/

Jeff

Old May 5th 16, 07:31 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

When I say all the time what iI mean is that there are the same signals
audible whenever the orbit brings it into range of course.
Brian

--
----- -

Old May 7th 16, 08:28 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian-Gaff

So nobody has any facts about this then. I certainly don't but its still
there.
brain

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active