Poindexter Rides Again

Old July 30th 03, 05:24 AM
Stephen Stocker

Default Poindexter Rides Again

Ever have the feeling that these clowns aren't playing with a full
deck? *sigh*

Steve

In article , John Maxson wrote:
Excerpt from CNN, 7/29/03:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/29/terror.market/index.html

=============================================== =
The program, called the Futures Markets Applied to Prediction
(FutureMAP), would have involved investors betting small amounts of
money that a particular event -- a terrorist attack or assassination
-- would happen.

It has been part of the Total Information Awareness program under
retired Adm. John Poindexter, a prominent figure in the Iran-Contra
scandal during the Reagan administration.

His current boss, DARPA director Anthony Tether, was asked whether
Poindexter would keep his job.

"I don't see why not," he said as he left meetings on Capitol Hill.
=============================================== =

--
John Thomas Maxson, Retired Engineer (Aerospace)
Author, The Betrayal of Mission 51-L (www.mission51l.com)

Old July 30th 03, 06:34 AM
Kent Betts

"Stephen Stocker
Ever have the feeling that these clowns aren't playing with a full
deck? *sigh*

I don't think the futures market in disaster has gotten a fair shake. The
object of the exercise was to gain insight into the probablilty of various
threats. The futures market was a way to do this. Okay, it's a little over the
top, but it's not nuts. Its a little like taking a sample from a shipment and
then approving or rejecting the entire lot. In this case, it is the collection
of an aggregate opinion, reinforced by financial gain or loss. Similar
techniques are used in behavioral sciences.

We criticize the security folks for not detecting threats, and criticize them
when they try detect the threats.

Old July 30th 03, 12:51 PM
Herb Schaltegger

In article ,
"Kent Betts" wrote:

"Stephen Stocker
Ever have the feeling that these clowns aren't playing with a full
deck? *sigh*

I don't think the futures market in disaster has gotten a fair shake. The
object of the exercise was to gain insight into the probablilty of various
threats. The futures market was a way to do this. Okay, it's a little over
the
top, but it's not nuts. Its a little like taking a sample from a shipment
and
then approving or rejecting the entire lot. In this case, it is the
collection
of an aggregate opinion, reinforced by financial gain or loss. Similar
techniques are used in behavioral sciences.

We criticize the security folks for not detecting threats, and criticize them
when they try detect the threats.

Personally, I felt that this sort of thing was a great little honeypot.
Wait for the next big terrorist incident, follow the money trails of the
winners and see if you can't find some more terrorist cells whose
members decided to profiteer along with making their politico-religious
statements.

--
Herb Schaltegger, Esq.
Chief Counsel, Human O-Ring Society
Old July 31st 03, 02:43 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Stephen Stocker wrote in
:

In article , John Maxson wrote:
Excerpt from CNN, 7/29/03:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/29/terror.market/index.html

It has been part of the Total Information Awareness program under
retired Adm. John Poindexter, a prominent figure in the Iran-Contra
scandal during the Reagan administration.

Ever have the feeling that these clowns aren't playing with a full
deck? *sigh*

And to bring this back on topic for sci.space.shuttle, Poindexter's son
Alan is a NASA astronaut, assigned as PLT on STS-120.

(well, *somebody's* gotta post on-topic...)

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old July 31st 03, 03:02 AM
John Maxson

Maybe you weren't around or were looking the other way when
John Poindexter was making key shuttle decisions, immediately
before and directly after Challenger, Mission 51-L.

--
John Thomas Maxson, Retired Engineer (Aerospace)
Author, The Betrayal of Mission 51-L (www.mission51l.com)

Jorge R. Frank wrote in message
Stephen Stocker wrote in
:

Old July 31st 03, 04:25 AM
Stephen Stocker

In article , Jorge R. Frank wrote:
Stephen Stocker wrote in

snip
Ever have the feeling that these clowns aren't playing with a full
deck? *sigh*

And to bring this back on topic for sci.space.shuttle, Poindexter's son
Alan is a NASA astronaut, assigned as PLT on STS-120.

(well, *somebody's* gotta post on-topic...)

Thanks. Believe it or not, I was hoping to sneak in something remotely
on topic. LOL.

Steve

Old July 31st 03, 04:30 AM
Stephen Stocker

In article , John Maxson wrote:
Maybe you weren't around or were looking the other way when
John Poindexter was making key shuttle decisions, immediately
before and directly after Challenger, Mission 51-L.

It's news to me, anyway. Decisions regarding what? Granted, that was a
weird administration, but I can't imagine what qualifications he
would've had involving the shuttle program!

Steve
Old July 31st 03, 05:51 AM
Kent Betts

"Herb Schaltegger"
Personally, I felt that this sort of thing was a great little honeypot.
Wait for the next big terrorist incident, follow the money trails of the
winners and see if you can't find some more terrorist cells whose
members decided to profiteer

Yeah that idea had crossed my mind. I don't know much about the futures scheme
that the Pentagon (DARPA) was planning. Couldn't figure out if it was an
in-house thing or if it was going to be publicly traded. It would be wild if
someone loaded up on anthrax options and then grew some.

Right now I see the transportation economy here in the US as extrordinarly
vulnerable. We are one hijacking away from additional tens of billions in
revenue decreases. For that matter, the current business slowdown, which would
have happened anyway after the Internet stocks dropped, has been aggravated by
the 911 attack.