Alan Erskine Info

Old July 26th 03, 09:56 PM
Terrence Daniels

Default Alan Erskine Info

"Alan Info" wrote in message
Snip pathetic bull****

Dear dumbass,

Did he try and kill your kids or something? Please die. KTHX

Plonk

Old July 27th 03, 12:27 AM
OM

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:56:14 GMT, "Terrence Daniels"
wrote:

KTHX

....What does a radio station's callsign have to do with the Maxsons
doing the phony Alan routine?

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 27th 03, 12:39 AM
Richard Smith

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
wrote:

KTHX

...What does a radio station's callsign have to do with the Maxsons
doing the phony Alan routine?

THX-1138

Duh.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr

Old July 27th 03, 06:13 AM
Terrence Daniels

"Richard Smith" wrote in message
THX-1138

Duh.

Heh, not quite.

KTHX = "Okay, thanks"

It's a spoof on AOL/Leetspeak shorthand. Over at the Ars Technica open
forums it's a roundabout way to indicate you thought a post was ridiculous.
Sort of like saying, "Yeah, whatever." It's a bad habit I picked up.

I have to go rent THX-1138 one of these days.

KTHX, WAAF

(Okay, that last one WAS a radio station)

Old July 27th 03, 10:59 PM
Richard Smith

"Terrence Daniels" wrote in
message thlink.net...
"Richard Smith" wrote in message
THX-1138

Duh.

Heh, not quite.

KTHX = "Okay, thanks"

It's a spoof on AOL/Leetspeak shorthand. Over at the Ars Technica open
forums it's a roundabout way to indicate you thought a post was

ridiculous.
Sort of like saying, "Yeah, whatever." It's a bad habit I picked up.

I have to go rent THX-1138 one of these days.

KTHX, WAAF

(Okay, that last one WAS a radio station)

KTHX!

Ars Technica is one of the first things I look at in the morning.

Here in Dallas it's WFAA. g

Old July 27th 03, 11:45 PM
Terrence Daniels

"Richard Smith" wrote in message

Ars Technica is one of the first things I look at in the morning.

Main page or forums? Some people on the forums claim that they didn't even
KNOW there was a main page, that's how popular it is. The forums are
awesome, you can find out just about anything there.

Here in Dallas it's WFAA. g

Yeah, I remember... I lived in D. for two years. I didn't have a radio then,
though. I stopped listening to the radio in about 1996 and from what I hear,
I'm not missing much.

Old July 28th 03, 12:38 AM
Richard Smith

"Terrence Daniels" wrote in
message thlink.net...

"Richard Smith" wrote in message

Ars Technica is one of the first things I look at in the morning.

Main page or forums? Some people on the forums claim that they didn't even
KNOW there was a main page, that's how popular it is. The forums are
awesome, you can find out just about anything there.

Here in Dallas it's WFAA. g

Yeah, I remember... I lived in D. for two years. I didn't have a radio

then,
though. I stopped listening to the radio in about 1996 and from what I

hear,
I'm not missing much.

Main page...just a quick news fix as there's usually something very
interesting from this or that source I'd never see on my own. The forums
are very interesting but I'd end up losing an entire day at a time...similar
to usenet.

Well we got KRLD 1080 AM all news + baseball. But I'm from Houston and the
American League ain't baseball with that woosie DH crap...but the traffic
reports on the 8's are solid. Wish the DFW metorplex had a better traffic
website like Houston's- that one should be a model across the nation.

Old July 28th 03, 12:51 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Richard Smith" wrote in
:

"Terrence Daniels" wrote in
message
thlink.net...

"Richard Smith" wrote in message

Here in Dallas it's WFAA. g

Yeah, I remember... I lived in D. for two years. I didn't have a
radio then,
though. I stopped listening to the radio in about 1996 and from what
I hear, I'm not missing much.

And to bring this back on topic, WFAA-TV was the first station to broadcast
video of Columbia's disintegration.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old July 28th 03, 01:50 AM
Terrence Daniels

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
And to bring this back on topic, WFAA-TV was the first station to

broadcast
video of Columbia's disintegration.

Yes. Are they still holding it or has somebody gotten to them through FOIA?
Does anyone know?

One of the breakup videos was taken from a park in Arlington, where my
ex-girlfriend lives. When the little orbiter icon on the map stopped moving
in MCC, I thought "Oh ****, that looks like it's right over Dallas..." For
me, it was doubly upsetting and ironic that the breakup happened practically
over DFW. I missed seeing the re-entry of a late '99 mission (not sure of
the STS # - I'm thinking STS-98?) because I didn't have a phone, of all
things. I wasn't really actively following space stuff back then, I didn't
even KNOW that re-entries on low-inclination orbits were visible from there.
The ex-GF would have called me to tell me, but my deadbeat roommates hadn't
ordered phone service yet.

In February she was in school in Denton, but her parents heard the noise in
Arlington. They recognized it for a sonic boom but they had no idea what
caused it, and went about their business.

It certainly didn't make things any better when the TV pictures of debris
started coming in, and the terrain and the quality of light looked so
familiar. I used to walk to school every day and I could practically feel
what kind of day it was like from the pictures, and there are crews picking
up pieces of Columbia from the edge of a highway. Not a good day.

Old July 28th 03, 02:04 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Terrence Daniels" wrote in
thlink.net:

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
And to bring this back on topic, WFAA-TV was the first station to

broadcast
video of Columbia's disintegration.

Yes. Are they still holding it or has somebody gotten to them through
FOIA? Does anyone know?

FOIA applies only to the federal government, not private entities. But
their video was rebroadcast on CNN within 15 minutes, and it's pretty
widely available.

One of the breakup videos was taken from a park in Arlington, where my
ex-girlfriend lives. When the little orbiter icon on the map stopped
moving in MCC, I thought "Oh ****, that looks like it's right over
Dallas..." For me, it was doubly upsetting and ironic that the breakup
happened practically over DFW. I missed seeing the re-entry of a late
'99 mission (not sure of the STS # - I'm thinking STS-98?)

Probably STS-103. As a Hubble servicing mission, that would have been the
only low-inclination mission in '99, and therefore the only one with an
entry trajectory over Texas.

In February she was in school in Denton, but her parents heard the
noise in Arlington. They recognized it for a sonic boom but they had
no idea what caused it, and went about their business.

My mother-in-law (Clifton) and a cousin (Tyler) both saw it. Several
friends in D/FW heard the boom, as your GF's parents did.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.