HUBBLE PEERS INSIDE A CELESTIAL GEODE (STScI-PRC04-26)

Old August 12th 04, 02:16 PM
INBOX ASTRONOMY: NEWS ALERT

Default HUBBLE PEERS INSIDE A CELESTIAL GEODE (STScI-PRC04-26)

EMBARGOED UNTIL: 9:00 am (EDT) August 12, 2004

PHOTO NO.: STScI-PRC04-26

HUBBLE PEERS INSIDE A CELESTIAL GEODE

In this unusual image, NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope captures a rare
view of the celestial equivalent of a geode -- a gas cavity carved by
the stellar wind and intense ultraviolet radiation from a hot young
star. Real geodes are baseball-sized, hollow rocks that start out as
bubbles in volcanic or sedimentary rock. Only when these inconspicuous
round rocks are split in half by a geologist, do we get a chance to
appreciate the inside of the rock cavity that is lined with crystals. In
the case of Hubble's 35 light-year diameter "celestial geode" the
transparency of its bubble-like cavity of interstellar gas and dust
reveals the treasures of its interior.

This image of the N44F interstellar bubble was taken with Hubble's
Wide Field Planetary Camera 2 in March 2002, using filters that isolate
light emitted by sulfur (shown in blue, a 1,200-second exposure) and
hydrogen gas (shown in red, a 1,000-second exposure).

Credit: NASA, ESA, Y. Nazé (University of Liège, Belgium) and
Y.-H. Chu (University of Illinois, Urbana)

To see and read more, please visit:
http://hubblesite.org/news/2004/26
http://www.spacetelescope.org/news/html/heic0413.html

The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is operated by
the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc.
(AURA), for NASA, under contract with the Goddard Space Flight
Center, Greenbelt, MD. The Hubble Space Telescope is a project
of international cooperation between NASA and the European Space
Agency (ESA).

To receive STScI Inbox Astronomy: News Alert messages, visit
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/mailing.php or send an e-mail
to . Leave the subject line blank, and
type the word SUBSCRIBE in the body of the message. The system
will respond with instructions on how to confirm your subscription.
Once you follow the instructions, you will receive news alerts as
they are issued. Alerts will be sent to the e-mail address you use
to subscribe. To unsubscribe, send e-mail to
.
Leave the subject line blank, and type the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the
body of the message. Please unsubscribe using the email account that
you used to subscribe to the list.

Old August 14th 04, 04:50 AM
Linus Das

INBOX ASTRONOMY: NEWS ALERT wrote in message

This image of the N44F interstellar bubble was taken with Hubble's
Wide Field Planetary Camera 2 in March 2002, using filters that isolate

Very interesting, but I don't think that exposure date is correct; HST
did not do much science that month (SM3B).
Old August 14th 04, 05:22 AM
William C. Keel

Linus Das wrote:
INBOX ASTRONOMY: NEWS ALERT wrote in message

This image of the N44F interstellar bubble was taken with Hubble's
Wide Field Planetary Camera 2 in March 2002, using filters that isolate

Very interesting, but I don't think that exposure date is correct; HST
did not do much science that month (SM3B).

The archive lists the images as taken on 25 March 2002, two weeks after
SM3B and apparently during the mild recommissioning for WFPC2.

Bill Keel
Old August 14th 04, 06:57 AM
Ed Holden

William C. Keel wrote:

Linus Das wrote:
INBOX ASTRONOMY: NEWS ALERT wrote in message

This image of the N44F interstellar bubble was taken with Hubble's
Wide Field Planetary Camera 2 in March 2002, using filters that isolate

Very interesting, but I don't think that exposure date is correct; HST
did not do much science that month (SM3B).

The archive lists the images as taken on 25 March 2002, two weeks after
SM3B and apparently during the mild recommissioning for WFPC2.

Are you sure? I can't find any reference to the LMC during that
month apart from a STIS (sigh) observation. Looking up the proposal ID
(6698) states 25 March 2000, which is confirmed by daily report #2588.

Old August 14th 04, 09:36 AM
William C. Keel

Ed Holden wrote:
William C. Keel wrote:

Linus Das wrote:
INBOX ASTRONOMY: NEWS ALERT wrote in message

This image of the N44F interstellar bubble was taken with Hubble's
Wide Field Planetary Camera 2 in March 2002, using filters that isolate

Very interesting, but I don't think that exposure date is correct; HST
did not do much science that month (SM3B).

The archive lists the images as taken on 25 March 2002, two weeks after
SM3B and apparently during the mild recommissioning for WFPC2.

Are you sure? I can't find any reference to the LMC during that
month apart from a STIS (sigh) observation. Looking up the proposal ID
(6698) states 25 March 2000, which is confirmed by daily report #2588.

I seem to have had a senior moment - so fixated on the day of month that
I flat missed the year. 2000 it was...

Bill Keel