RE telescope mounts: auto-guiding with Skywatcher EQ6 & CelestronCg6-gt ??

Old November 6th 05, 04:51 PM
robert somerville

Default RE telescope mounts: auto-guiding with Skywatcher EQ6 & CelestronCg6-gt ??

Hi I was wondering if anybody could make any comments about the use of
the above mounts for the purpose of autoguiding CCD astrophotography

Thanks in advance
Robert Somerville
Old November 6th 05, 09:53 PM
Phil

I have a modified EQ-6, it has the Astronomica DA-1 Upgrade kit installed,
this has a guide port for that takes ST-4, ST-7 and LX200 protocols for
autoguiding. I use a modified web cam with Guide Dog or KCC3 Tools for
autoguiding, it works very well. The standard motors and gears on the EQ-6
do suffer backlash, that's why I fitted The DA-1, The DA-1 kit has virtually
removed almost all backlash.

Phil

Old November 7th 05, 11:42 AM
robert somerville

Hi Phil;

I cannot google any info on the "Astronomica DA-1 Upgrade kit" , can you
point me in the right direction ? Is your EQ6 the "Skyscan" mount or the
base version of the Eq6 ? if so can you make any comments on the
"Skyscan" ?

Old November 7th 05, 01:10 PM
Einari

I'm thinking that Phil meant Astromeccanica
http://www.astromeccanica.it/.

BTW, I have the EQ6 SkyScan mount and I think it has good potential
for astroimaging.
So far I have only done tested unguided imaging with small telescope
(Orion ST80) but I have read with autoguiding the results are very
good.
Here is my humble aproach:
http://www.einarin.1g.fi/ds/M31_291005.htm

Einari

Old November 7th 05, 01:51 PM
Phil

Hi

My EQ-6 was the standard model, I up graded my with a DA-1 and a friend
upgraded his with a DA-2 and a few others I know have done various upgrades
modifications to EQ-6's.

See kits here

http://www.astromeccanica.it/da1_ENG.htm

http://www.astromeccanica.it/da2_eng.htm

Also here are some others

http://www.boxdoerfer.de/

http://www.coaa.co.uk/winctc.htm

http://www.stellarcat.biz/

There are allot more than these like the FS/2 controller. I upgraded mine
before the Skyscan was on the market. I have seen and used the Scanscan on
a HEQ-5 and EQ-6. It works well, but backlash and a few other gearing
problems do not impress me.

The DA-1 is a good kit, the belt drive really irons out some of the problems
like backlash that the EQ-6 has.

The DA-1 controller is good but see http://arnholm.org/astro/index.htm there
are some issues.

Tracking with the DA-1 for short exposer is good, long is okay, a change of
gear ratio from 4 to 1 to 12 to 1 improves the tracking no end. The fault
is not in the motors or belt drive it is in the controller, the same goes
for the DA-2 as well, there is spose to be a fix coming out soon. The fault
is not major but can be annoying at times. Overall my setup is better than
the Skyscan when autoguideing.

I am myself going to be buying a Boxdoerfer PowerFlex MTS-3SDI after seeing
one in action to control the drive motors that came with the DA-1 and change
the ratio back to 4 to 1. Personally the motor and drive belt kit is an
excellent upgrade for the EQ-6 and the MTS-3SDI is a great controller.

The EQ-6 is allot of mount for the money, if you do upgrade or buy one with
the Skyscan replace the grease inside the mount and if possible replace the
nylon shims on the axis shafts with copper shims, this alone improves the
tracking allot. If you are going to try long exposer The Skyscan will
do it with allot of headaches.

Hope this helps

Phillip
Adelaide Australia