Two planets and a Moon

Old September 7th 05, 05:27 PM
Norbert

Default Two planets and a Moon

Hi everybody,

Yesterday evening, a fine encounter of Venus, Jupiter and the Moon.
I've taken this picture http://images.ciel.free.fr/test/IMG_0015br.jpg
on the side of the river Loire, near Nantes.
And another one here http://images.ciel.free.fr/test/IMG_0018r.jpg where
you can see the reflections of the planets on the water.
If you pay attention, you can also see Spica, just below Venus.

--
Norbert. (no X for the answer)
======================================

Old September 7th 05, 07:57 PM
Norbert

JIm Townsend nous a écrit :

Hi everybody,

Yesterday evening, a fine encounter of Venus, Jupiter and the Moon.
I've taken this picture
http://images.ciel.free.fr/test/IMG_0015br.jpg on the side of the
river Loire, near Nantes. And another one here
http://images.ciel.free.fr/test/IMG_0018r.jpg where you can see the
reflections of the planets on the water. If you pay attention, you
can also see Spica, just below Venus.

Very nice..

I took a photo too last night where I live in south central Canada..
Actually, I follow several photographic forums and have seen several
pictures like this :-)

In fact, I'm not the only people on Earth who had this idea )

One interesting thing I noticed is that the moon and planets have very
different orientations between my shot and yours.. In yours, both
planets are above and to the left of the moon.

In my shot, the planets are above, but the moon is BETWEEN the
planets.. I'm guessing that because my sunset was 5 hours later than
yours, the moon's orbit had moved it a few degrees across the sky..

Yes, this is the right explanation. You can easily verify it with a
planetarium software.
If someone had taken the same shot somewhere in Asia (let's say in
Thailand for example), we would see the Moon on the right aligned with
the planets.

--
Norbert. (no X for the answer)
======================================

Old September 7th 05, 08:07 PM
Jim Easterbrook

"Norbert" wrote in news:431f14b7$0$168
:

Yesterday evening, a fine encounter of Venus, Jupiter and the Moon.
I've taken this picture http://images.ciel.free.fr/test/IMG_0015br.jpg
on the side of the river Loire, near Nantes.
And another one here http://images.ciel.free.fr/test/IMG_0018r.jpg

where
you can see the reflections of the planets on the water.

Very nice, and a much more attractive view than that seen from my bedroom
window:
http://www.easter-vivian.e7even.com/jim/astro/photo/DSCN1855.jpg
--
Jim Easterbrook http://astro.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/
N51.36 W0.25
Old September 7th 05, 08:10 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:27:07 +0200, "Norbert"
wrote:

Hi everybody,

Yesterday evening, a fine encounter of Venus, Jupiter and the Moon.
I've taken this picture http://images.ciel.free.fr/test/IMG_0015br.jpg
on the side of the river Loire, near Nantes.
And another one here http://images.ciel.free.fr/test/IMG_0018r.jpg where
you can see the reflections of the planets on the water.
If you pay attention, you can also see Spica, just below Venus.

Very nice Norbert. I too took some pictures last night but they're not
as nice as yours. Difficult to get a reflection off the wavy sea ;-)

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/widefie...5367a_1024.jpg
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/widefie...5372a_1024.jpg
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/widefie...5383a_1024.jpg
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/widefie...5392a_1024.jpg

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old September 7th 05, 09:45 PM
Norbert

wrote:

Hi everybody,

Yesterday evening, a fine encounter of Venus, Jupiter and the Moon.
I've taken this picture
http://images.ciel.free.fr/test/IMG_0015br.jpg on the side of the
river Loire, near Nantes. And another one here
http://images.ciel.free.fr/test/IMG_0018r.jpg where you can see the
reflections of the planets on the water. If you pay attention, you
can also see Spica, just below Venus.

Very nice Norbert. I too took some pictures last night but they're not
as nice as yours. Difficult to get a reflection off the wavy sea ;-)

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/widefie...5367a_1024.jpg
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/widefie...5372a_1024.jpg
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/widefie...5383a_1024.jpg
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/widefie...5392a_1024.jpg

It seems that a lot of people were outside yesterday evening, all around
the word
A lot of nice pictures, indeed.

--
Norbert. (no X for the answer)