WHAT'S NEW Robert L. Park Friday, 29 Jul 05 Washington, DC

Old July 30th 05, 02:16 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:06:50 -0700, "Jan Owen"
wrote:

No I don't.

It was attached directly as a response to the post/poster being PLONKED.

Well, to add one more response g...

It is a good idea to at least include a reply-to header. Not all
newsreaders handle threading correctly, or they may stop indenting at a
certain point. In an unthreaded reader it would have looked like you
were plonking the previous post (which happened to be mine in my
reader). Given the earlier posts, it was pretty obvious who you were
referring to, but still, I think it can't hurt to make it absolutely
clear. What's the point of a "PLONK!" otherwise?

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old July 30th 05, 02:55 AM
Jan Owen

I don't *exactly* disagree with you, but as I have already explained, the
way I did it, there is nothing to misinterpret about my intent, with the
possible exception of some foibles in the way some ISP's display posts.
It's certainly crystal clear on MY ISP...

Another way to look at this is that you're right, but so am I...

On the other hand, as we have clearly seen here, no matter WHAT one posts
on SAA, someone will nit-pick it in some fashion, even when it's just
about a personal approach to plonking a troll...

news

Old July 30th 05, 03:15 AM
G.T.

"Jan Owen" wrote in message
"Howard Lester" wrote in message
You need to be more specific as to who is the plonkee!

No I don't.

It was attached directly as a response to the post/poster being PLONKED.
If I were plonking Sam, it would be attached to HIS message

Umm, many of us don't read news the same way you do. Without leaving a
quote I have no idea who you are plonking so the plonk was absurd.

Greg

Old July 30th 05, 03:35 AM
Jan Owen

"G.T." wrote in message

"Jan Owen" wrote in message
"Howard Lester" wrote in message
You need to be more specific as to who is the plonkee!

No I don't.

It was attached directly as a response to the post/poster being

PLONKED.
If I were plonking Sam, it would be attached to HIS message

Umm, many of us don't read news the same way you do. Without leaving a
quote I have no idea who you are plonking so the plonk was absurd.

Greg

Here's a clue:

Verdetritus

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.662
Longitude: -112.3272

Old July 30th 05, 03:49 AM
lal_truckee

Jan Owen wrote:
"Howard Lester" wrote in message

You need to be more specific as to who is the plonkee!

No I don't.

It was attached directly as a response to the post/poster being PLONKED.

Usenet is asynchronous; it's entirely possibly for your post to show up
before the Plonkee's post shows up.
Old July 30th 05, 06:03 AM
Jan Owen

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
m...
Jan Owen wrote:
"Howard Lester" wrote in message

You need to be more specific as to who is the plonkee!

No I don't.

It was attached directly as a response to the post/poster being

PLONKED.

Usenet is asynchronous; it's entirely possibly for your post to show up
before the Plonkee's post shows up.

True.

But that's academic, now...

At least for me, because I won't be seeing any more of his epistles,
unless someone else elects to quote him... Nor will it be necessary to
plonk him again, because I won't see anything (of his) to plonk...

Old July 30th 05, 09:57 AM
Horse Feathers

David Knisely wrote:

David, for once, I think you need to read the S.A.A. Charter.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 31 - Aug. 5, 2005, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old July 31st 05, 09:26 PM
ROC

Jan Owen wrote:
"Howard Lester" wrote in message

You need to be more specific as to who is the plonkee!

No I don't.

It was attached directly as a response to the post/poster being

PLONKED.

Usenet is asynchronous; it's entirely possibly for your post to show up
before the Plonkee's post shows up.

True.

But that's academic, now...

At least for me, because I won't be seeing any more of his epistles,
unless someone else elects to quote him... Nor will it be necessary to
plonk him again, because I won't see anything (of his) to plonk...

you guys are all crazy

Old August 8th 05, 05:09 AM
David Knisely

The portion of Sam's posting on the shuttle was near the edge of being
off-topic (not much to do with amateur astronomy) but was at least
somewhat tolerable. However, the rest of it was clearly *way* off-topic.

The sci.astro.amateur charter
-----------------------------
The original version was written by Ken Kirksey
:

What Is sci.astro.amateur?

sci.astro.amateur is forum for amateur astronomers to discuss topics of
mutual interest, with a focus on astronomical observing.

What Are Suitable Topics For sci.astro.amateur?

Discussion in sci.astro.amateur includes, but is not necessarily limited
to, the following topics:

Observing
Using the naked eye, binoculars, or telescopes
The Moon, Planets, Stars, The Sun, Comets, Deep Sky
Objects, Constellations, et. al.

Equipment
Choosing Telescopes/Binoculars
Choosing Accessories (Finders, Drives, Eyepieces, Filters,
Observatories, etc.)
Building Telescopes, Backyard Observatories, etc.

Astrophotography
Traditional
CCD
Image Processing

Astronomy Software
Planetarium Programs
Deep Sky Programs
Observatory Programs
Educational Programs

Tips & Techniques for Amateur Astronomers

Literature covering the topics listed above

What Topics Are *Not* Suitable for sci.astro.amateur?

Anything of a highly technical, theoretical, or cosmological nature G.
Seriously, one of the major reasons that sci.astro.amateur was created
was that people were tired of wading through all the black hole, origin
& fate of the universe, Steven Hawking | Carl Sagan is a twit, et. al.
kind of posts to get to the ones discussing the topics listed in this
charter. While some of the theoretical/cosmological topics may be of
interest to some amateur astronomers, discussion in sci.astro.amateur
should be pretty much limited to the PRACTICE of amateur astronomy.
We'll leave the heavy topics for sci.astro.