Jupiter Transit???

Old April 26th 05, 10:09 PM
Thom Tapp

Default Jupiter Transit???

I think I captured an image of a transit of Jupiter on Sunday night, April
24th at 9:56 PM Eastern Time.Did any of you take photos of Jupiter on that
night? You can view what I *THINK* is a Jupiter transit on my site at:

http://www.thomtapp.com/jupiter.htm

I used a Meade ETX 90 RA with a Logitech QuickCam VC and RegiStax software.
I would like to know for sure if this is actually a transit... I've never
seen one before.

Thanks!
Thom Tapp

Old April 26th 05, 11:01 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:09:15 -0400, "Thom Tapp"
wrote:

I think I captured an image of a transit of Jupiter on Sunday night, April
24th at 9:56 PM Eastern Time.Did any of you take photos of Jupiter on that
night? You can view what I *THINK* is a Jupiter transit on my site at:

http://www.thomtapp.com/jupiter.htm

I used a Meade ETX 90 RA with a Logitech QuickCam VC and RegiStax software.
I would like to know for sure if this is actually a transit... I've never
seen one before.

Europa transited Jupiter from 19:19-21:58. Its shadow transited from
20:19-23:00. So you've caught Europa just off the limb and its shadow
still in mid-transit. Nice.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old April 27th 05, 02:52 AM
Thom Tapp

Wow! Thanks for confirming the transit! I'm excited about getting this
shot!!! I wasn't sure which moon it was, Thanks!

Thom

Old April 28th 05, 01:49 PM
R Kunkel

Thom,

I believe you also caught the Great Red Spot in the image, check out the
upper equitorial wind band. Just to the left of the meridain is the GRS.
Your image is inverted due to your optical train, so south in at the top of
the picture.

GREAT SHOT.
RIK

Old April 28th 05, 02:48 PM
Thom Tapp

Thanks! I'm new to imaging, and don't know much about Jupiter, but I'm
learning! I'll invert the image and maybe it will look more like reality.
When I was young I tried to do some simple photography through crude
telescopes, but I never imagined this level of imaging could be possible
with a 3.5" scope and a webcam! It isn't much compared to all the big scopes
out there, but it is an accomplishment for me! I appreciate your information
very much.

Thom