I had an amazing day!!

Old February 3rd 05, 12:19 AM
JATO

Default I had an amazing day!!

Today I had an amazing day. The science teacher at my son's local school
ask if I would come in and to give a presentation to the 6th grade class.
They just started learning about astronomy and are on the equipment
section. So I went in and talked to them about telescopes. The two 6th
grade classes were combined into one that contained about 38 kids. I took
in a number of scopes and explained the basics of telescopes, the
differences between refractors, reflectors and catadioptrics. We also
covered eyepieces and mounts. At the end there was a Q&A session. I also
explained that the only thing you needed to get involved in astronomy was
your eyes and that it was a hobby that can last a life time.

I have to confess I was surprised by how interested the kids where, girls
and boys. I highly recommend that everyone who is has at least a basic
working knowledge of telescopes and astronomy, go spend some time at their
local school. I think you'll find the experience as rewarding as I did!

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org
Old February 4th 05, 12:45 AM
Mark C

I did the same thing a week ago with another 6th grade class. I gave them a
presentation on "current" events then discussed different telescope designs.
They had almost an hour of questions. Last night we has a star party and
they got to see nebula, galaxies, open clusters, double stars, a comet, and
Saturn.

Isn't great to see so many excited kids and even a few parents?

--
Mark Casazza
http://casazza.net

news

Old February 5th 05, 04:48 PM
Dawn Baird-Chleborad

Our group started doing that when we would schedule school star parties that
would then be clouded out. The response to seeing the equipment up close is
amazing and it makes me want to slap myself in the forehead for not doing it
sooner. On star party nights for our group where every shows up and gets
skunked we now have "Scope-N-Tell" sessions, it's great fun and folks learn
a lot!

--
Dawn Baird-Chleborad
www.wodenoptics.com