favorite eye peices that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Old February 2nd 05, 10:07 PM
Impact9

Default favorite eye peices that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I recently ordered a Celestron NexStar 8i SE plus nearly all
accessories offered on my tax refund. I've been using a rather small
AP and Orion starblast with a Celestron Plossl set I purchased from
Telescopes.com.

http://www.telescopes.com/products/C...l_11535.ht ml

The eye peices are fine but I'm certain there are more impressive ones.
Orion eye peices look good on price but I have no ideal which ones are
good for this incoming F10 scope. I really enjoy the larger FOV that
this 32mm Clestron gives but I also want some magnification. I can't
afford to buy the premium eye peices like televue. So if someone can,
please give some info on your personal favorites that didn't break the
bank.

Thanks

DH

Old February 2nd 05, 10:13 PM
Bill McHale

When you say you can't afford Televue do you mean you can't afford the
Radians, Panoptics and Naglers or do you include their Plossl line as
well? There Plossl line are some of the best eyepieces going if
eye-relief and uber-wide fields of view are not your primary concern.
I would also check out University Optics' Orthoscopics, slightly
smaller field of view but generally considered very good eyepieces.
Also Meade Series 4000 Plossls (or is that super Plossls).

--
Bill

Old February 2nd 05, 10:38 PM
Alexander Avtanski

Impact9 wrote:
I recently ordered a Celestron NexStar 8i SE plus nearly all
accessories offered on my tax refund. I've been using a rather small
AP and Orion starblast with a Celestron Plossl set I purchased from
Telescopes.com.

http://www.telescopes.com/products/C...l_11535.ht ml

The eye peices are fine but I'm certain there are more impressive ones.
Orion eye peices look good on price but I have no ideal which ones are
good for this incoming F10 scope. I really enjoy the larger FOV that
this 32mm Clestron gives but I also want some magnification. I can't
afford to buy the premium eye peices like televue. So if someone can,
please give some info on your personal favorites that didn't break the
bank.

Thanks

DH

One of my favorites is my 6mm University Optics ortho. Dirth cheap,
for the image quality, I think. Kind of narrow FOV, not the best eye
relief, but I like it anyway.

- Alex
Old February 2nd 05, 10:39 PM
Mark

A scope with a focal length ten times its aperture is not nearly as
demanding on eyepieces as a "fast" scope, such as an f/4 or f/5
reflector. Any of the simpler 3 or 4-element designs (such as Kellners
or Plossls) should work fine and be sharp to the edge assuming your
scope is properly collimated.

The downside of high power Plossls or Kellners is that they have a tiny
eye lens and short eye relief, meaning that you have to really position
your eye in close. One more expensive eyepiece that can suffice for a
set of Plossls and that you might consider is an 8-24 mm zoom, which
combined with a barlow will give you magnifications from about 80-250,
double that range with a barlow lens. I have the Vixen version, but
they are also sold under other brand names and can be purchased used
for $120-130. The advantage of this particular eyepiece is that it has
a nice large eye lens and great eye relief in addition to the zoom
feature. I have found mine to be very sharp and great for planets when
combined with a barlow. The FOV ranges from about 60 degrees on the
high power end to 40 degrees or so on the low power end of the range.

Here's an example of what this EP looks like -
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds...fied_id=328164

Mark

Old February 2nd 05, 10:53 PM
Andy Blackburn

You can always go to Astromart and get some fine eyepieces at less than new
prices. Most astronomers take care of their optics and you can get some
real bargains sometimes.

Andy Blackburn

ups.com...

Old February 3rd 05, 12:30 AM
Davoud

Impact9:
The eye peices...

Huh?

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old February 3rd 05, 01:02 AM
Phil

UO Ortho's, I have a full set, FOV abit norrow, put that aside you will be
hard pressed to find eyepiece that preforms so well at that price, my
favoriates are the 9, 12.5 and 18mm, Below 7mm I find the FOV a bit too
norrow, but I still use them becuse they are so darn good.

Phil
ups.com...

Old February 3rd 05, 01:07 AM
Phil

Oh yeh don't forget the Meade series 4000 Plossls, with the 5000 series
hitting the market there could be a few cheap sets of 4000's up for sale
soon
Phil

"Phil" wrote in message
UO Ortho's, I have a full set, FOV abit norrow, put that aside you will be
hard pressed to find eyepiece that preforms so well at that price, my
favoriates are the 9, 12.5 and 18mm, Below 7mm I find the FOV a bit too
norrow, but I still use them becuse they are so darn good.

Phil
ups.com...

Old February 3rd 05, 02:58 AM
vic20owner

Phil wrote:
Oh yeh don't forget the Meade series 4000 Plossls, with the 5000 series
hitting the market there could be a few cheap sets of 4000's up for sale
soon
Phil

I believe the plossls he has are basically the same thing as the 4000
series... plossls made in china but very good quality for the money.

I have the series 4000 and some generic chinese $20 plossls and they
look and perform exactly the same.

-tom
Old February 3rd 05, 05:10 AM
Larry G

On 2 Feb 2005 14:07:36 -0800, Impact9 wrote:

I recently ordered a Celestron NexStar 8i SE plus nearly all
accessories offered on my tax refund. I've been using a rather small
AP and Orion starblast with a Celestron Plossl set I purchased from
Telescopes.com.

http://www.telescopes.com/products/C...l_11535.ht ml

The eye peices are fine but I'm certain there are more impressive ones.
Orion eye peices look good on price but I have no ideal which ones are
good for this incoming F10 scope. I really enjoy the larger FOV that
this 32mm Clestron gives but I also want some magnification. I can't
afford to buy the premium eye peices like televue. So if someone can,
please give some info on your personal favorites that didn't break the
bank.

Thanks

DH

As a general rule, the higher the f/ratio, the more forgiving it is
of eyepiece (and design) imperfections. If you intend to do a lot
of lunar and planetary viewing, eyepieces with the fewest number of
surfaces *may* offer better contrast than the 5 and 7 lens counterparts.
However, in an SCT, which has a large central obstruction, the point
may be moot.

You probably won't be able to find any Ramsdens around, but Kellner
and Achromatic Ramsden may work fine. And they should be dirt cheap.
Also consider Orthoscopics (check with University Optics). But
Plossls should suffice at near the same price.

Cheers,
Larry G.