Which CCD camera?

Old May 5th 04, 10:26 AM
Johan van der Walt

Default Which CCD camera?

Hi there!

My name is Johan and I am working in the Physics Department of the North-West University
in South Africa. A couple of years ago we bought a 12" Meade LX200 as well as a
Pictor 416XT CCD camera. The decision on the Pictor 416XT was sort of rushed decision
since we had very little time to write the application for the funding of the equipment.
Now it seems as if the 416XT was not a good decision. I never was really satisfied with
its performance and with the Meade software that came with it.

We now have the opportunity to again apply for funding and I would like to submit an
application to buy a better CCD camera. We use it for student practicals and would like
to use it for multi-color photometry. Autoguiding is quite important. So is good
software.

I shall appreciate it if someone can give me good advice on what to buy. Budget is
limited as usual but any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Johan van der Walt

Old May 5th 04, 09:13 PM
Roger Moffatt

I shall appreciate it if someone can give me good advice on what to buy.
Budget is
limited as usual but any advice is welcome.

Hi Johan

I've had a SBIG 8-E for a couple of years now and think it is stunning.
Large CCD, integrates well with Maxim CCD software and flawless reliable
operation. They have new and better cameras now, but in my own experience I
don't think you'd go wrong with SBIG if you can get the budget.

Regards
Roger
UK

Old May 6th 04, 05:12 AM
Vishnu

Hi Johan

I own a 12 inch LX200 and I do some photometry...mostly asteroids. If
you dont want to use focal reducer then I would prefer an ST9E NABG
chip. I has larger pixels that will give better pixel/scale with your
F/10 system when compared to an ST8E. CCDOps and CCDSoft are both
stable and good to use and come free with the camera. ST-9E comes with
a guider I guess.
clear skies
Vishnu
www.geocities.com/moonyguy

Old May 6th 04, 12:13 PM
Johan van der Walt

Roger,

What telescope do you have? Do you use the SBIG 8-E for autoguiding as well?

Johan

Old May 10th 04, 10:56 PM
Roger Moffatt

Roger,

What telescope do you have? Do you use the SBIG 8-E for autoguiding as

well?

Hi Johan

I've got a LX-90 at present. Whilst I have attempted to guide with the LX90,
my mount is not well enough aligned or sufficiently stable and I'm waiting
until I have my pier ready before trying again. I just use it for 30 - 45
sec images and then integrate them with Maxim.

Roger

Old May 12th 04, 10:00 PM
David Nakamoto

I personally recommend the Starlight Xpress cameras from personal
experience. Software's robust and easy to use, technical help is there and
knowledgeable, if at times it takes a few days to get back to you. The
cameras are light-weight, robust, and take great pictures. Autotracking is
good and flexible.

Of course, SBIG also has good cameras, but I believe Starlight Xpress is
just as good and at better prices.

Good Luck!
--
Sincerely,
--- Dave

A man is a god in ruins.
--- Duke Ellington

Old May 12th 04, 10:25 PM
Roger Hamlett

"David Nakamoto" wrote in message
I personally recommend the Starlight Xpress cameras from personal
experience. Software's robust and easy to use, technical help is there

and
knowledgeable, if at times it takes a few days to get back to you. The
cameras are light-weight, robust, and take great pictures. Autotracking

is
good and flexible.

Of course, SBIG also has good cameras, but I believe Starlight Xpress is
just as good and at better prices.

Good Luck!

For the money, the Starlight cameras are good. However on an SCT, the guide
CCD in the SBIG cameras, allows them to correct for the some of the effects
of mirror shift. Realistically, on a 12" LX200, you will need a field
flattener for any but the smaller CCD's, and this makes better use of the
image scale on most CCD's. For photometry on the LX200, I'd consider a
ST10XME, with the AO7, and a focal reducer/flattener to about 0.75* (AP).
The software with the SBIG cameras, is a 'class ahead' of that with the
Starlight cameras. The current releases of the Starlight software work OK,
but most people wanting to do more automation, end up buying another package
like AstroArt or Maxim. The latter offers the best scripting interface.
Alternatively, the Starlight SXV, combined with an OAG, and perhaps Maxim
DL/CCD, is a lot cheaper (smaller CCD), but offers excellent noise
performance. At present there is not a high speed guide system like the AO7,
but this may be going to change in the near future.
The 12" LX200, is fairly heavy for it's mount, requiring some 'tweaking' to
get guiding reasonably, and the AO7, makes all the difference on these
mounts.

Best Wishes

Old May 16th 04, 01:17 AM
David Nakamoto

But the Starlight Xpress cameras can autoguide on any star in the field of
view, at the expense of sensitivity of course. I don't see where this is
poses a problem with mirror shift on an SCT. Also, the high cost of the
SBIG cameras, some of them at least, weigh against them, unless price is no
option, but I thought we were amateurs here, so we're cash strapped, either
because we just bought that 36-inch Dob on an equatorial platform and have
to pay for the hospital bills for the hernias we got trying to move it, or
because we're married. ^_^
--
Sincerely,
--- Dave

A man is a god in ruins.
--- Duke Ellington

Old May 16th 04, 09:38 AM
Michael Barber

"David Nakamoto" wrote in message

. the Starlight Xpress cameras can autoguide on any star in the field
of view, at the expense of sensitivity of course.

Yes, half of the sensitivity. This is significant.

Also, the high cost of the
SBIG cameras, some of them at least, weigh against them, unless price is no
option, but I thought we were amateurs here, so we're cash strapped,

You beat this drum a lot. David. But it is a generality that isn't
necessarily true. Our 2 megapixel color camera is bigger and costs
less with its self guiding than the 1.4 megapixel color camera from SE
with its self guiding head. Some of our cameras cost more than
some SE cameras and some SE cameras cost more than ours. But you give
the impression the there is this huge difference in price that just
isn't so. Some popular models like the ST-2000 are actually much less
when you compare apples to apples.
Regards,
Michael Barber
SBIG
Old May 17th 04, 07:58 AM
David Nakamoto

OK. It make sense that, given enough time, and the presence of competition,
that all the cooled CCD camera manufacturers will gradually offer more and
more similar products, at more and more similar prices. I admit I haven't
been looking lately, so my facts are a bit out of date.

I have a lot of user loyality with Starlight Xpress because many years ago
they offered a camera with capabilities and a price I liked, and treated me
both friendly, expeditently, and offered good technical advice when
necessary, which wasn't that often.

Also, at the time I replied to the original poster, no one spoke up for
Starlight Xpress, so I did, as a satisfied customer. I apologize for and
retract my statement that Xpress costs less than SBIG, but you won't hold it
against me for advocating a product I like, would you?
--
Sincerely,
--- Dave

A man is a god in ruins.