IC405 Hydrogen-alpha Images

Old February 20th 04, 10:45 PM
Dennis Persyk

Default IC405 Hydrogen-alpha Images

IC405 is an emission nebula glowing richly in red H-alpha light. By
employing a selective spike filter that passes only the H-a emission
line, one can block out light pollution and even the effects of a
nearby full moon.

You may view filtered and non-filtered views of IC405 that illustrate
the unique properties of the H-a filter at
http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

I hope you will take a look and find the comparison interesting.

Clear skies,

Dennis Persyk
Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
Hampshire, IL
Old February 21st 04, 01:33 AM
Richard Crisp

"Dennis Persyk" wrote in message
om...
IC405 is an emission nebula glowing richly in red H-alpha light. By
employing a selective spike filter that passes only the H-a emission
line, one can block out light pollution and even the effects of a
nearby full moon.

You may view filtered and non-filtered views of IC405 that illustrate
the unique properties of the H-a filter at
http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

I hope you will take a look and find the comparison interesting.

Ahah! you have stumbled onto my secrets, Dennis!

I love to image faint nebulae during full moons with emission line filters.

Here's a 12.66mag planetary shot with Ha, [OIII] and [SII]. This was taken
under a FULL MOON.

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/pk164_page.htm

here are some IC405 shots taken with various emission line filters.
Unfortunately they are rather undersampled.

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/ic405_Ha_page.htm

Keep up that good Ha imaging. I suggest you get an [OIII] filter too. That
camera of yours will work even better with [OIII] because the quantum
efficiency is better at that wavelength (500.7nm).

Best regards
Richard

Old February 21st 04, 04:51 PM
Dennis Persyk

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message .com...
[...]

Richard, your wide field images are out of this world! And yes, the
wonders of the narrow band filter seem to be a well-kept secret. The
H-alpha filter effectively doubles the number of nights per month I
can image DSOs. Unfortunately, doubling a small number produces
another small number.

I hope you will share your list of targets for H-a and O-III imaging
with me. I have not been successful in finding a comprehensive list of
these guys – another seemingly well-kept secret.

Clear skies,

Dennis
Old February 21st 04, 05:00 PM
Richard Crisp

[...]

I don't have a comprehensive list, but I do have a log of the ones I've
imaged that way in the past few months.

Have a look at my reverse chronological list here. Nearly every one I have
imaged with the emission line filters is there.

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/New_Images_page.htm

For me this is like a voyage of discovery: most of the time I've not seen
the various nebulae imaged in any way other than LRGB or maybe Ha.

Best wishes
Richard