Asterism?

Old August 7th 05, 07:27 AM
Dennis Allen

Default Asterism?

Hi. At tonight's star party we kept seeing a set of four stars straight
in a line, between Sagittarius and Scorpio. Is that an asterism?

Oh, try as I might. I couldn't see Super Nova 2005CS in M51. Could see
the bright star next to it, but not the SN itself (M51 could have been
too far down in the haze). Is 2005cs still here?

Old August 7th 05, 03:27 PM
Florian

Hi. At tonight's star party we kept seeing a set of four stars =
straight=20
in a line, between Sagittarius and Scorpio. Is that an asterism?

I first noticed that line on star charts. It's quite noticeable in=20
binoculars. Sky Tools shows a star cluster, OCL 1016, adjacent to
the sting of stars but i think the designation is for a small cluster
and not the asterism itself.

-Florian

Old August 7th 05, 06:30 PM
William R. Mattil

Dennis Allen wrote:

Oh, try as I might. I couldn't see Super Nova 2005CS in M51. Could see
the bright star next to it, but not the SN itself (M51 could have been
too far down in the haze). Is 2005cs still here?

Dennis,

If you'll excuse the horrible image taken from my Mag 3 backyard.

http://www.celestial-images.com/SN2005-M51.html

Been cloudy here this new moon cycle so this is the best I have.

Regards

Bill

--

William R. Mattil : http://www.celestial-images.com