HiRISE Team Releases First Processed Images From MRO

Old April 7th 06, 07:56 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

Default HiRISE Team Releases First Processed Images From MRO

HiRISE TEAM RELEASES FIRST PROCESSED IMAGES
FROM POWERFUL NEW CAMERA ORIBITING MARS
(From Lori Stiles, University Communications, 520-621-1877)

- Friday, April 07, 2006

Contact Information
Alfred S. McEwen 520-621-4573
Eric Eliason 520-626-0764

Related Web sites
http://hiroc.LPL.arizona.edu
http://www.nasa.gov/mro
http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/HiRISE/
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mro

Scientists are delighted with new test images from the Mars
Reconnaissance
Orbiter's High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera.

The HiRISE camera -- the newest and most powerful camera orbiting Mars
--
took four images of Mars on March 23 and four more on March 25.

The HiRISE team, directed by Alfred S. McEwen at The University of
Arizona,
released a preliminary black-and-white version of the first image on
Mars
24.

The test images show that both NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO)
and
the HiRISE camera are working extremely well, McEwen said. And they've
given
the HiRISE team the data it needs to develop image processing
techniques
before the primary science mission begins this fall.

"The images are wonderful," McEwen said. "We're learning a great deal
about
how to best acquire and process these giant images from our very
complicated
camera."

HiRISE returns very large images, up to 20,000 pixels wide and 60,000
pixels long.

"I personally was bowled over by the range of different geological
processes that operated at different times and scales that could be
discerned from a 'single' HiRISE image," science team member Laszlo
Keszthelyi of the U.S. Geological Survey in Flagstaff, Ariz., said.

The HiRISE operations team has made great strides in developing the
processing "pipelines" that need to be as automated as possible to keep
up
with the flood of data that the camera will begin sending when the
science
mission begins in November.

"These images are being used to shake-out the processing for making
precise
image maps of Mars with accurate color information," HiRISE operations
manager Eric Eliason said.

NASA and the HiRISE team are releasing three processed images this
morning
and will release more later today. The images are on the following NASA
and
UA Lunar and Planetary Laboratory Websites:
http://hiroc.LPL.arizona.edu,
http://www.nasa.gov/mro,
http://marsoweb.nas.nassa.gov/HiRISE/, and
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mro

The images include an improved version of the black-and-white image
released March 24 and six other black-and-white images. Each of these
pictures is actually a mosaic of as many as 10 images made by 10 CCD
detectors.

Two of these images were part of a "jitter" test, a test of how other
science instruments and spacecraft systems affect HiRISE imaging. These
images are important to HiRISE team members who are developing image
processing techniques that correct parts of the pictures that are
smeared or
distorted as the result of other spacecraft operations.

The team is also releasing a central swath of the first March 24 image
in
color.

Low-angle illumination didn't give the scientists the best color data,
McEwen said, "But this first image nevertheless shows some very
interesting
and informative color variations" that look promising for color imaging
when
the spacecraft reaches science orbit in September, two months before
the
science mission begins. "The first color image is beautiful!" McEwen
added.

HiRISE team members from the U.S.G.S. - Flagstaff derived a digital
elevation model for part of the March 24 image, and from that produced
topographic map and a series of perspective views. The team is
releasing the
map and five of the perspective views. The low sun angle that detracted
from
color mapping enhanced the topographic views.

Conditions were far from ideal when the HiRISE camera took its test
images,
before the spacecraft began aerobraking, a technique that will take the
spacecraft into a nearly circular and lower science orbit. The camera
was
designed for its science orbit, a two-hour orbit at 300 kilometers
(about
190 miles) above the planet at around 3 p.m. on Mars' dayside, McEwen
said.

When HiRISE took test images, the MRO spacecraft was in a highly
elliptical
orbit that took 35 hours to complete and comes closest to Mars on its
night
side. This flight path geometry allowed HiRISE only 10 minutes of
useful
imaging time during each of its two orbits, and test images had to be
taken
at around 7:30 a.m., when the sun was barely over Mars' horizon, from a
distance of 1,500 to 2,500 kilometers (about 900 to 1,500 miles) away.

The HiRISE team uses ISIS-3 software developed and maintained by the
U.S.G.S.-Flagstaff for processing its images.

The Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute
of
Technology in Pasadena, manages the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter for
NASA's
Science Mission Directorate, Washington. Lockheed Martin Space Systems
is
the prime contractor for the project and built the spacecraft.

Old April 7th 06, 08:30 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

- Friday, April 07, 2006

Contact Information
Alfred S. McEwen 520-621-4573

Eric Eliason 520-626-0764

Related Web sites
http://hiroc.LPL.arizona.edu
http://www.nasa.gov/mro
http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/HiRISE/
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mro

Beautiful, I downloaded the 32 MB jpg, almost like being there.
And so much green (I know it is not true color), and always green
at lower points where water could be.
Won't be long before we see the first martian trees.

Cows? Dunno ;-)

- Friday, April 07, 2006

Contact Information
Alfred S. McEwen 520-621-4573

Eric Eliason 520-626-0764

Related Web sites
http://hiroc.LPL.arizona.edu
http://www.nasa.gov/mro
http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/HiRISE/
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mro

Beautiful, I downloaded the 32 MB jpg, almost like being there.
And so much green (I know it is not true color), and always green
at lower points where water could be.
Won't be long before we see the first martian trees.

Cows? Dunno ;-)

If you know it is not true color, why do you make such a big deal over the
color green, and where it might show up on an image?

George

- Friday, April 07, 2006

Contact Information
Alfred S. McEwen 520-621-4573

Eric Eliason 520-626-0764

Related Web sites
http://hiroc.LPL.arizona.edu
http://www.nasa.gov/mro
http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/HiRISE/
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mro

Beautiful, I downloaded the 32 MB jpg, almost like being there.
And so much green (I know it is not true color), and always green
at lower points where water could be.
Won't be long before we see the first martian trees.

Cows? Dunno ;-)

If you know it is not true color, why do you make such a big deal over the
color green, and where it might show up on an image?

George

Idiot, look up the picture and the text that gos with it.
Now milk them cows,

- Friday, April 07, 2006

Contact Information
Alfred S. McEwen 520-621-4573

Eric Eliason 520-626-0764

Related Web sites
http://hiroc.LPL.arizona.edu
http://www.nasa.gov/mro
http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/HiRISE/
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mro

Beautiful, I downloaded the 32 MB jpg, almost like being there.
And so much green (I know it is not true color), and always green
at lower points where water could be.
Won't be long before we see the first martian trees.

Cows? Dunno ;-)

If you know it is not true color, why do you make such a big deal over
the
color green, and where it might show up on an image?

George

Idiot, look up the picture and the text that gos with it.
Now milk them cows,

Yes? And? Possible early morning fog. So what? That fog could be
anything. It could be CO2 vapor for all we know.

George