Huygens embargo--12 months

Old January 17th 05, 08:18 PM

Default Huygens embargo--12 months

Bummer. ESA is saying that they will release a "summary" of the data
but will embargo raw data (and I assume the detailed results?) for
twelve months.

From "The Scientist":

"The initial summary of the MS/GC data will be released sometime this
week, an ESA spokesperson told The Scientist. The raw data, however,
will endure the standard ESA 12-month embargo period."

http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20050117/02

Seems a bit dissappointing if we are to wait a year for results in
order to allow the ESA scientists time to analyze the data without
competition...

--Darin

www.darinboville.com

Old January 17th 05, 08:37 PM
Thierry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bummer. ESA is saying that they will release a "summary" of the data
but will embargo raw data (and I assume the detailed results?) for
twelve months.

From "The Scientist":

"The initial summary of the MS/GC data will be released sometime this
week, an ESA spokesperson told The Scientist. The raw data, however,
will endure the standard ESA 12-month embargo period."

Yes I read that. As usual from ESA...
This is typical from the short mind of some european agencies. Too bad.
But it is not a problem. With some tricks and diplomacy any good Internet
user ready to warm his email system, 'll be able to find the right
information for example at U.Az or on Xarch.

Thierry

Old January 17th 05, 08:39 PM
David Nakamoto

Bummer, and a disappointment, perhaps, but very much a real part of space
science. One way to look at it - you're the principle scientist on one of
the instruments, and you've just spent ten to twenty years waiting for the
data to come in, ever since the pre-project stages of development. Now is
your chance to make the discoveries that will truly mark your career as a
scientist, and it's all in the data just collected. Are you going to
release the raw data, and allow someone else the chance to discover
something important ahead of you? Remember that the first to publish gets
the credit.

So I can understand their reluctance to release it.

--
Sincerely,
--- Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bummer. ESA is saying that they will release a "summary" of the data
but will embargo raw data (and I assume the detailed results?) for
twelve months.

From "The Scientist":

Old January 17th 05, 09:01 PM
David G. Nagel

Thierry wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Bummer. ESA is saying that they will release a "summary" of the data
but will embargo raw data (and I assume the detailed results?) for
twelve months.

From "The Scientist":

"The initial summary of the MS/GC data will be released sometime this
week, an ESA spokesperson told The Scientist. The raw data, however,
will endure the standard ESA 12-month embargo period."

Yes I read that. As usual from ESA...
This is typical from the short mind of some european agencies. Too bad.
But it is not a problem. With some tricks and diplomacy any good Internet
user ready to warm his email system, 'll be able to find the right
information for example at U.Az or on Xarch.

Thierry

http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20050117/02

Seems a bit dissappointing if we are to wait a year for results in
order to allow the ESA scientists time to analyze the data without
competition...

--Darin

www.darinboville.com

While I am not absolutely positive, I believe that all of the raw data
from research satellites and probes is reserved to the principal
scientist of the respective experiment. This is so that the principal
scientist can process the data without worrying about someone stealing
their credits.

Dave N.
Old January 17th 05, 09:01 PM
Thierry

"David Nakamoto" wrote in message
Bummer, and a disappointment, perhaps, but very much a real part of space
science. One way to look at it - you're the principle scientist on one of
the instruments, and you've just spent ten to twenty years waiting for the
data to come in, ever since the pre-project stages of development. Now is
your chance to make the discoveries that will truly mark your career as a
scientist, and it's all in the data just collected. Are you going to
release the raw data, and allow someone else the chance to discover
something important ahead of you? Remember that the first to publish gets
the credit.

So I can understand their reluctance to release it.

Yes and no. This not the first time that europ work this way.
Check weather pictures. NOAA and many other US or some in Europe too
(germany, spain, etc) release most images freely. Today Meteo France and
other smaller institutions, some public, ask a fee to get the same ones...
This is inacceptable !
This is not normal coming from a public company. A private OK, but not when
my money is invested in there through my taxes...

So why to wait for ? Afraid of the concurrence ? This is not it. Everybody
associated to an university involved in C-H mission can get these raw images
in prime time. The main job remains the interpretation behind. We can't do
it in some hours. Thus in all cases the credit will go to the one who comes
with the right interpretation.

I hope that science will not become a commercial affair... as it becomes
with DNA (HUMO and co.)

Thierry

--
Sincerely,
--- Dave
It don't mean a thing
unless it has that certain "je ne sais quoi"
Duke Ellington

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bummer. ESA is saying that they will release a "summary" of the data
but will embargo raw data (and I assume the detailed results?) for
twelve months.

From "The Scientist":

Old January 17th 05, 09:36 PM
Alexander Avtanski

David G. Nagel wrote:
Thierry wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bummer. ESA is saying that they will release a "summary" of the data
but will embargo raw data (and I assume the detailed results?) for
twelve months.

From "The Scientist":

[...]

Yes, I also think this makes sense. And I don't see why anyone would
"blame" it on ESA. I think the same rule applies for the Mars rovers
data. For the Hubble - too. Although I'm not 100% sure, I THINK for
the rovers the embargo period was 6 months. For Hubble I'm almost
positive it's 12 months. Anyone knows for sure?

Regards,

- Alex
Old January 17th 05, 09:38 PM
Martin Brown

Thierry wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bummer. ESA is saying that they will release a "summary" of the data
but will embargo raw data (and I assume the detailed results?) for
twelve months.

From "The Scientist":

"The initial summary of the MS/GC data will be released sometime this
week, an ESA spokesperson told The Scientist. The raw data, however,
will endure the standard ESA 12-month embargo period."

Yes I read that. As usual from ESA...
This is typical from the short mind of some european agencies. Too bad.
But it is not a problem. With some tricks and diplomacy any good Internet
user ready to warm his email system, 'll be able to find the right
information for example at U.Az or on Xarch.

It is entirely normal that the principal experimenter and/or their team
gets 12 months to process raw data and obtain detailed results from a
large scale experiment or probe. Otherwise they gain no benefit from all
the years of hard work they put into designing, building and flying the
thing!

There will still be some pretty pictures for public consumption. And any
obvious or exciting results will not take long to be reported.

They did accidentally put up one image of what looked to me like an IR
spectrum, but I failed to save it and it was ephemeral.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 17th 05, 10:47 PM
Steven Van Impe

David Nakamoto wrote:

Remember that the first to publish gets the credit.

At the moment, http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Main/Huygens is
getting most of the credit...

(not that I disagree with you, David)

Regards,
Steven
Old January 17th 05, 10:48 PM

There will still be some pretty pictures for public consumption.

Nothing personal, but I must say that I find such patronizing comments
extrememly irritating. There are many of us who find the science
interesting, and many who find the "exploration" aspect interesting.
Some are interested in both aspects.

From one point of view, the science experiemnets can be seen as the

lower priorty, piggyback baggage we have to put on these spacecraft to
get (trick?) people to dedicate their lives to our virtual exploration
program. Think about it.

--Darin

www.darinboville.com

Old January 18th 05, 03:15 AM
David Nakamoto

I know you don't. ^_^

By the way, I don't see why people are so worked up over a measly twelve
month embargo. After all, we have a much bigger problem with us for the
next four months, or 48 months ! ^_^

--

"Steven Van Impe" wrote in message
David Nakamoto wrote:

Remember that the first to publish gets the credit.

At the moment, http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Main/Huygens is
getting most of the credit...

(not that I disagree with you, David)

Regards,
Steven

First Results from Huygens (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 January 17th 05 06:24 PM
Huygens landed! Victor SETI 1 January 14th 05 11:17 PM
Huygens Sets Off With Correct Spin and Speed [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 January 11th 05 06:59 PM
Huygens Probe Successfully Detaches From Cassini [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 December 25th 04 04:34 AM
ESA's Huygens Probe Set to Detach From Cassini Orbiter [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 December 22nd 04 12:41 AM