The whole cake! Titan Images

Old January 17th 05, 05:43 AM
Hsai Fu

These are raw images ... Fast Eddy. Give them a chance to clean and wash.

Pham Newen wrote:

No kidding, the images are rather small. I haven't read much in depth
about the imaging system they use, but damn! How much money was spent
on this program? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure great science will come
out of it, but oh well, not the most dramatic of surface photos. Even
some of the Venus probes from the 70s have some better imagery.
ESA, defend yourself! Casini's imagery has been awesome, so what's up?

Old January 17th 05, 03:38 PM
Michael McCulloch

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:42:02 -0600, Hsai Fu wrote:

But the mpeg/avi does show motion of something. However, unless
Im dreaming, the widescale shots show old impact craters - most small
ones? I hope Im not dreaming....

No. Those are image artifacts. Look at the raw images he

http://spacescience.ca/titan/raw/

Those "craters" only appear when the contrast is really boosted, and
then it becomes apparent that they are image artifacts since the
contrast response of the "craters" doesn't appear to match the rest of
the image.

---
Michael McCulloch
Old January 17th 05, 03:50 PM
Michael McCulloch

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:38:41 -0500, I wrote:

Those "craters" only appear when the contrast is really boosted, and
then it becomes apparent that they are image artifacts since the
contrast response of the "craters" doesn't appear to match the rest of
the image.

Plus they don't move from frame-to-frame for each camera.

---
Michael McCulloch
Old January 17th 05, 09:11 PM
George Dishman

"Aidan Karley" wrote in message
. invalid...
In article , George Dishman wrote:
The high gain comes at the cost of reduced beamwidth.
Huygens was falling through atmosphere and spinning.
It couldn't keep a high-gain antenna aligned on
Cassini.

Not the point. The point was that, *in mid-flight* a change in
the software on Galileo resulted, effectively, in an increase in the
bandwidth available to the instruments, and so allowed the original
science program to be carried out with only the lower bandwidth "low
gain" antenna.

I don't know of any details but I had assumed such
updates would have been applied to Cassini over the
life of the mission. (Huygens though I think was
passive throughout and couldn't be updated.)

The real difference here though is that, with only
a few hours flight time, there was no time to do
any updates to Huygens once it entered, and they
didn't have a secondary antenna as a backup even
if they had the time, so the IMHO situations aren't
really comparable. They knew from the start they
would only get one chance at it and there was no
time to do anything if it didn't work.

Regardless, I'm still impressed.

George

Old January 18th 05, 10:00 AM
Aidan Karley

In article , George Dishman wrote:
The real difference here though is that, with only
a few hours flight time, there was no time to do
any updates to Huygens once it entered, and they
didn't have a secondary antenna as a backup even
if they had the time, so the IMHO situations aren't
really comparable.

I never for one second contemplated trying to modify Huyghens
once it had detached from Cassini - I was talking about (potential)
modifications in the 8-something years the joint mission was /en route/
to Saturn. And yes, I would expect that they applied high compression
patches to the transmission protocols on the way. But there are limits
to these things - the 'entropy' (information theory sense) of the
actual messages and the necessity to have some remaining redundancy to
allow for fault tolerance in the transmission lag.

They knew from the start they
would only get one chance at it and there was no
time to do anything if it didn't work.

AFAIK, huyghens was flying blind deaf and dumb until a timer
activated a couple of sigmas out from the expected edge of the Titanian
atmosphere; then it was to start heating up, powering up the
transmitters, arming the parachute pyrotechnics, etc. No time at all to
adjust anything during the post-decoupling flight.

--
Aidan Karley,
Aberdeen, Scotland,

Old January 18th 05, 01:38 PM
Mike Maxwell

MrNightguy wrote:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
useful proggie for creating composites....

enjoy!

But in the composites labeled "25 of 57 images aligned" and "All 57
images aligned", the man in the red shirt is standing, while in the pic
labeled "Final result", he's sitting. So the choice of input images was
changed between the two. Is the AI really that smart, or was there some
human input?!

Mike McSwell