NGC 2859 A double ring galaxy

Old February 23rd 12, 09:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default NGC 2859 A double ring galaxy

NGC 2859 is a double ring galaxy in southwest Leo Minor about 85 to 90
million light-years distant. The core is elongated rather east west
while the bar is rotated about 80 degrees to a north south alignment.
The bar is very weak. The ends at the first ring however are rather
brightened. Except for this very weak bar the first ring is not really
connected to the core. The outer ring appears even less connected to
the rest of the galaxy. There is a hint the bar may continue as a fuzzy
area to the outer ring. It may be due to foreshortening rather than a
real connection. I found nothing in the literature explaining this
unusual arrangement. The outer ring shows hints of spiral structure.
M94 has a similar detached ring with some spiral structure in the ring.
Others would include Hoag's Object
http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...ntid=980&stc=1 and NGC
6028 http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...ntid=983&stc=1
(both need reprocessing). But these have only one ring and are not
barred spirals. They have much redder cores as well. Are they similar
in origin to NGC 2859?

NED classes it as (R)SB(r)0+ while the NGC project says simple SB0. I
think this is one of the fuzziest, most ill defined galaxy I've ever
imaged. The two to its north, that are part of its group, seem very
fuzzy as well. Is this trying to tell us something? Wish I knew.

The annotated image, as usual, shows the distance to all objects in my
image for which NED has red shift data. UGC 05004 is classed as IM and
along with another to its west appears to be part of the same group as
NGC 2859. A pair of galaxy in the upper right quadrant share a common
redshift that put them just under a billion light-years away. Their
disks overlap. Hard to tell if they are really interacting or just a
line of sight pair. They certainly are part of the same galaxy group.

One mystery is the quasar to the east of UGC 05004, NGC U2859 U02. The
quasar is listed as 19th magnitude which is brighter than some others
easily seen in my image. Seeing nothing at the location I checked the
Sloan image which goes deeper than mine. Again, no sign of the quasar.
Its position is uncertain with an error bar of 2.5" which is 5 times
greater than most objects in the image. But nothing is seen in a 10"
circle in the Sloan image. Also the object isn't listed in the Sloan
data at NED. I don't know if it doesn't exist or the coordinates are
wrong. I marked the position but don't expect to see anything there
above my noise level.

Two 7th magnitude K0 stars tried hard to mess up my image. One by being
close to NGC 2859 and another I thought I had far enough off the bottom
of the image but obviously that wasn't the case. I could have cloned
out the nasty glare but decided against it. My cloning skills tend to
be rather poor and obvious.

Asteroid is (150917) 2001 TD44 at an estimated magnitude of 19.7

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2859L4X10RGB2X10X3r.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	3964  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2859L4X10RGB2X10X3r-ID.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	3965  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2859L4X10RGB2X10X3r-CROP150.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	3966
Old February 25th 12, 12:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

this galaxy wasn't even on my list.
Even though it does not sport too many detailed features it still is an
interesting object.

Stefan

. com...