June 30th is Asteroid Day!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 17th 17, 12:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default June 30th is Asteroid Day!

Quadibloc:
Of course, just *one* asteroid equivalent to the one that killed the
dinosaurs, if it hits, would leave none of us around to worry about,
let alone deal with, the next one.

You don't mean that literally? Myriad species, including mammals
already ascending, survived the Yucatan event, and Homo sapiens would
survive an event of similar or even greater magnitude. Things would no
doubt be difficult for a period, with agriculture being hit hard due to
reduced photosynthesis, but given the near certainty that survivors
would include persons steeped in every field of human knowledge, and
that most of the world's infrastructure would survive, civilization
would recover.

And a *lesser* strike might cause enough economic damage to lessen our means
to create a system to defend against asteroids, even if it meant we now had the
will.

It wouldn't matter. Given the infrequency of such events, there would
be plenty of time to think about a defense system, or rather, to think
about whether a defense system is possible. I don't think that there is
agreement on the latter question at this time.

In the USA we have to hope that Democrats are running FEMA when such an
event occurs.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm