Laser off the Moon

Old December 3rd 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.astronomy
west

Default Laser off the Moon

Because I'm a Ham Radio operator, I know that I can bounce radio signals off
the moon. Not knowing that much about lasers, I was wondering what would be
the minimum strength and at what frequency would it take to reflect a laser
beam off the mirror on the moon? Has anyone other than NASA accomplished
this? Can an amateur do it? Thank you.

Cordially,
west

Old December 3rd 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar,alt.sci.planetary,alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian
Douglas Berry

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 17:38:26 +0000 (GMT) Dr M In PhD
said the following in alt.atheism and I was
immediately reminded of 1,000 Chinchillas singing Handel's "Messiah"
for some reason...

Oh, you must mean the different sets of laser reflecting
"corner cubes" which were placed on the Moon by unmanned
Soviet and US space missions, back in covered-wagon times...

Remember, because this particular evidence regarding the laser
reflectors (which are indisputably on the surface of the Moon)
has been repeatedly cited as "proof" that living human beings
have actually been to the Moon and back (i.e., only by badly-
educated cowards who were duped by NASA's propaganda machine),
but were in reality *unmanned* missions at best that occurred
nearly FOUR DECADES ago, I'll briefly address this issue one
more time for the benefit of conscientious lurkers out the

More Min lunacy. Before reading anything by this moron, remember that
he was posting that the "Khan of Terror" was going to kill us all in
2000.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/Buffoon.html

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...in&qt_s=Search

He claims to be a fundamentalist Christian, but uses astrology and
Nostadamus as sources. He's complete insane.
--

Douglas Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the
source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a
stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as
good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
Old December 3rd 06, 08:47 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

West Did not think you could bounce signals from a ham receiver off the
Moon,and get some back Thought it had to be Radar signals,and lasar
light?? I don't think the lasar reflectors place on the
Moons surface were all that big,and that is what lasar light is all
about Bert

Old December 3rd 06, 09:00 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Llanzlan Klazmon the 15th

"west" wrote in news:s%Cch.2788$Wq.1544@trnddc08:

Because I'm a Ham Radio operator, I know that I can bounce radio signals
off the moon. Not knowing that much about lasers, I was wondering what
would be the minimum strength and at what frequency would it take to
reflect a laser beam off the mirror on the moon? Has anyone other than
NASA accomplished this? Can an amateur do it? Thank you.

The retroreflectors left by the Apollo missions are used for laser ranging
of the moon. You need not only a powerful laser but a decent telscope too.
The Appache point facility use a 3.5 meter scope for this purpose.

http://physics.ucsd.edu/%7Etmurphy/apollo/apollo.html

Klazmon

Cordially,
west

Old December 3rd 06, 11:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar,alt.sci.planetary,alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian
Mark K. Bilbo

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:40:58 +0000, Douglas Berry wrote:

[...]

When divination is condemned by the Bible no less...

--
Mark K. Bilbo
to the absence, from Jerusalem, of a lunatic asylum.
Old December 4th 06, 04:03 AM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.sci.planetary,alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian
Al Klein

wrote:

"west" wrote:
Because I'm a Ham Radio operator, I know that I can bounce radio signals off
the moon. Not knowing that much about lasers, I was wondering what would be
the minimum strength and at what frequency would it take to reflect a laser
beam off the mirror on the moon? Has anyone other than NASA accomplished
this? Can an amateur do it? Thank you.

Oh, you must mean the different sets of laser reflecting
"corner cubes" which were placed on the Moon by unmanned
Soviet and US space missions, back in covered-wagon times...

Sorry, Lunatic, but I know that men were on the moon. Ham radio
operators did what NASA didn't - we received the transmissions
directly from the PLSS radios. With the directionality of the
antennas that were used there's no possibility that it was faked.
--
rukbat at optonline dot net
"I received your letter of June 10th. I have never talked to a Jesuit
Old December 4th 06, 01:16 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar,alt.sci.planetary,alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian
west

Default Laser off the Moon Dr. Min

"Mark K. Bilbo" wrote in message
[...]

Come on gents, take a moment for honest reflection. If Dr. Min were to
leave, I bet you and several others would miss him. Whether you agree or not
with his philosophy, you must admit that it's interesting and thought
provoking, otherwise you wouldn't comment on it so often.

Cordially,
west

Old December 4th 06, 01:28 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.sci.planetary,alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian
west

Default Laser off the Moon P: Atheist

wrote:

"west" wrote:
[...]

Einstein never converted. He always believed in a Creator because of
reasoning. How would you explain what was before the Big Bang and why did it
happen? I ask this in due respect. Thanks.

Cordially,
west
BTW: Is the personal name calling attack necessary?

Old December 4th 06, 01:29 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar,alt.sci.planetary,alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian
Douglas Berry

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 13:16:44 GMT "west" said
the following in alt.atheism and I was immediately reminded of 1,000
Chinchillas singing Handel's "Messiah" for some reason...

Come on gents, take a moment for honest reflection. If Dr. Min were to
leave, I bet you and several others would miss him. Whether you agree or not
with his philosophy, you must admit that it's interesting and thought
provoking, otherwise you wouldn't comment on it so often.

First of all, he's not a PhD. Secondly, if he were to permanently
leave the internet, I would declare a five day celebration here at
Offhand Manor.

He's not thought provoking, he's insane. The only amusement comes
from watching him be totally, completely wrong on everything.

Old December 4th 06, 01:38 PM posted to alt.astronomy
west

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
West Did not think you could bounce signals from a ham receiver off the
Moon,and get some back Thought it had to be Radar signals,and lasar
light?? I don't think the lasar reflectors place on the
Moons surface were all that big,and that is what lasar light is all
about Bert

Yes Bert, it's been done many times by Hams, called EME for Earth-Moon-Earth
mode of operation. This is usually done in the UHF & SHF frequencies. More
commonly than sending a signal to yourself, you can use the moon as a
reflector to communicate with others around the world using UHF and higher
frequencies which normally are line-of-sight frequencies. Laser reflectors
are a different issue for which (see original post) I am interested if any
amateur astronomers were successful using the aforementioned reflectors.

Cordially,
west