Getting Mars higher in the sky

Old July 16th 03, 06:20 PM
Mike Murphy

Default Getting Mars higher in the sky

Hi all,
I am thinking of a holiday in Greece to rest my weary bones and do
some Mars observing. The red planet should be significantly higher in
the sky in Crete, anybody been there? What's the light pollution like?
Any Greek astro clubs there? Any Engish speaking astonomers lurking
here?
Your help appreciated.
- Mike
Old July 17th 03, 02:39 PM
Barry Sharpe

Yep i have frequented this place.

Whilst in Malia, i came across i guy who had his telescope set up in
the street a nice Takahashi on the EM200 mount, beutiful instrument.
He was charging tourists a few pesatas to have a look at the appenines
on the moon. He must have made a fair old sum as apparently he is
thier quiet often, this was back in 1997.

I have been thier a couple of times since, crete has some wonderful
places to observe and being a rather small place they are easy to
find. I would say that the best bet is to get away from Heraklion. You
have quiet a few options but there are two capes one on the eastern
side cape sideros the other on the western side Cape spanda these are
well away from anywhere except obvioulsy the ocean.

The other option is go inland amoungst the samll mountians about 2000
meters two areas or parks one is called psiloritis the other lefkaori.
i would be very surprised if you did not find some dark sites amoungst
these parks.

Do take care in the mountains, they can be dangerous as any mountains
can be.

Barry