Nova (PBS) Tuesday - EXCELLENT Program

Old January 8th 04, 09:08 AM
Robert J. Kolker

Default Nova (PBS) Tuesday - EXCELLENT Program

starchaser wrote:

You need a good laxative.

Unc is right. NASA has spent 40 billions of dollars on ISS **** Hole One
and one billion of our dollars on the MER which is second rate
technology. NASA has lost two missions to Mars because no one checked
the contractors to see which standard of measurement they were using.
How anyone can do high tech still using English measure is beyond my
understanding. And that tin plate goldbrick, Dan Goldin was lying
through his teeth when he promised better, faster, cheaper. This is the
same Dan Goldin who was fired from being president of Boston University
-before- he started work.

NASA is a ****ed up, top heavy second rate outfit, run by managers who
are motivated by fear of having their funding cut off by Congress. Their
imperitive is never to be seen failing, lest the funding cease, so they
do stupid and desparate things and they lie to themselves, their workers
and to the government.

Those loss of two orbiters along with their crews is symptomatic of just
how bad things have gotten at the Agency. And what is more they lied to
their test pilots (all their flying crews are test pilots). The official
NASA estimate for fatal casualties in orbiter missions was one in ten
thousand. The actual figures are one in twenty five. That is pernicious
lying, and in a civilized society that would be criminally actionable.

The management at NASA bullied and browbeat the lower level engineers
who were trying to do the right thing, when these poor sincere schmucks
raised alarms over the equipment. Lower level engineers at Morton
Thiokol were pounded in to the ground like tent pegs when they warned
about launching Challenger in cold weathers. The upper management at
Morton Thiokol and NASA practically tore their nails out to get them to
sign off on the launch.

NASA was playing Russian roulette with orbiters that -routinely- shed
the outer layers of the fuel tanks on the leading edges of the wings.
That is how Columbia was lost. Not two days before launch the engineers
were exchanging e-mail on the possibilities of fatal damage caused by
collisions of the linings on the wing edges. Since management had gotten
away with this hazard for years they told their engineers to shut up if
they valued their jobs. The engineers shut up.

In a just society the managment would not only be removed, but jailed
for fraud and criminal negligence.

Bob Kolker

Old January 8th 04, 12:09 PM

In article pUUKb.244235$8y1.1125751@attbi_s52,
"Robert J. Kolker" wrote:

wrote:

And who should get the revenues garnered by stuff that has been
patented and copyrighted in previous generations? You?

Yes. It goes into the public domain.

Then what would be the point of making anything? To do it your
way removes any incentive. Nobody is going to produce anything
if they can't profit from it. Look at what happened to the USSR
where "ownership" was removed from their economy and infrastructures.
A farmer will work harder and put in longer days if he thinks the
land is his than any collective. A collective will put in their
8 hours/day (or whatever is forced upon them), expect their paycheck
and not do any mess prevention when encountered during the workday.

.. The government should not be in the
business of enforcing mortemains. Let the living prosper and the dead
rot. I am not paying one red cent to the descendents of the person who
invented the wheel. The wheel has become part of public life, as all
inventions and creatons must. Let those who invent and create be
rewarded and when they die their stuff becomes part of the common stock.
That is how civilization advances.

No, it's not; it is how civilization retracts.

..The children of the creative have no
special claims on the virtues of their parents. If rich parents want to
give their kids a leg up, let them gift their children while they are
alive. Give the kids the money, if so desired. Of course billionaires
like Andrew Carnegy would disagree. He thought inherited wealth was a
curse, which is why he set up foundations, rather than leave the money
to his children.

Usually, people who inherit wealth are not inheriting cash. They
are inheriting a production that produces wealth. It is in their
best interests, when they inherit, to continue that production or
they will become "poor". Learn a little bit about industry in
the US before you spout anarchist smoke.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Old January 8th 04, 12:15 PM

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" wrote:

"W. Snell" wrote in message
. com...
"Robert J. Kolker" wrote in message

W. Snell wrote:

Live in a country that doesn't have a space program.

I firmly believe that you should pursue the second strategy.

'Murkah. Love it or leave it. Right?

Bob Kolker

Your words, not mine.

The U.S. has the oldest, most stable government in the world.

Balls.

Switzerland
Sweden
Denmark
Norway
Holland
The UK
And many more.

And I'm not sure I would call it "stable" since we have a
leadership upheaval built into the political system
every 2, 4, and 6 years.