Anyone had success with afocal photography using standard digital cameras?

Old December 11th 03, 11:09 PM
Tim Powers

Default Anyone had success with afocal photography using standard digital cameras?

Hello

I just received a Minolta dimage f100 with an infrared romote and a ton of
manual settings. Where do I start trying afocal photgraphy? I have done low
mag on the moon in Auto focus and its hit or miss. If I manual focus I can't
see much of a change through the lcd.

Anyone nave pointers on how to get the best results?

Thanks
-Tim

Old December 12th 03, 12:22 AM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Tim,

I have done a fair amount of imaging of both the sun and moon
using my Nikon Coolpix 995 digital camera using afocal projection. Can
you provide some specific questions/problems which some of us can
attempt to address as accurately as possible?

On the issue of manual vs automatic, I have used both. I have
found my automatic exposures for the sun to be much better than my
attempts at manual settings whereas the converse is generally true for
the moon.

Samples are available on my site ... for example:

for the sun:
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Solar-Su...2003-10-31.htm and
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Solar-Su...2003-11-21.htm
for the moon:
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Lunar-Vallis-Alpes.htm and
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Lunar-Mare-Crisium.htm

There is also the digital_astro Yahoo group where you will find a
plethora of experience, advice, talent, masterpieces etc etc.

Anthony.

Old December 13th 03, 02:28 AM
Tim Powers

I see from the info on your pics some of the info I might try as far as
aperture, iso, settings.

When you manual focus on the moon are you using the lcd?

It seems as though with the auto focus only 1 in 10 are in focus and it
makes me wonder if it is pure luck.

Ever try opening the shutter for dso?

I have a c8 and a f6.3 reducer.
I also have a 80mm f/5 refractor.