SN 2011fe in M101

Old September 24th 11, 09:03 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default SN 2011fe in M101

Originally designated PTF 11kly the SN reached maximum brightness at 9.9 a few days ago. It is reading 10.2 in my image taken from 2 to 3.2 hours UT on September 25, 1911, but I don't trust that very much. I was too close to the horizon with clouds and gunk. I had to smooth the image far more than I like to hide lots of problems imaging this low. Seeing was poor as well -- normal when too low to the horizon. Still it gives a good indication of how easy it is to see. I easily saw it my 10x50 binoculars and barely saw it in my 8x20's in fact.

Image cropped to match as closely as possible (mostly an east west change) from my earlier 8-26 image. Clouds prevented anything during the interval until last night. So I missed maximum brightness.

Besides the full size 1" per pixel image I'm attaching a 1.5" image as well due to the poor seeing conditions.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10, RGB=2x10, STl-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M101S_L4x10RGB2X10_9-25-11.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	3754  Click image for larger version

Name:	M101S_L4x10RGB2X10_9-25-11_67.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	3755
Old September 24th 11, 09:10 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

I can't read a calendar. Image taken September 24, 2011 not the 25th. I can look to the past with the telescope but the future is still beyond my abilities.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA0CKY View Post
[...]

SN PTF 11kly in M101 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 2 September 4th 11 08:15 PM
M101 William R. Mattil CCD Imaging 0 July 8th 09 07:24 PM
M101 with LPR Filter Chris Taylor UK Astronomy 0 April 12th 05 12:19 AM
M101/M102 [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 3 April 11th 05 09:01 PM
M101 ? Gary Earle Misc 3 April 28th 04 03:30 AM