So far Titan a waste

Old August 9th 04, 05:13 AM
Phil Wheeler

Default So far Titan a waste

Gerry Fassler wrote:
On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:16:59 -0700, starlard
wrote:

After this months local Astronomy Club meet I have to agree with the
growing opinion that so far the most recent mission to Saturn is a big
yawn. More pictures of fuzzy yellow balls. Billions of the nations wealth
and what the hell do we have to show? In a time when this country is face
with impotent challenges this is how the elites have chosen to Blow the big
Bucks.
You know if all this had a practical use well then maybe I would have a
different opinion. But I have to agree with those of you who say that if
all we are going to do is take pictures and snoop around poking into frozen
prehistoric giant snow balls , hey not on my dime brother.

Thanks My thoughts exactly.

Notice how little news there has been about this fools pursuit? I suspect
even the mavins at NASA have gotten the message that the public is buying
this Saturn jazz about as much as they are buying Ashcrofts latest
terrorist rantings.

Poor and uninformed assumption. The trajectories now are such that good
info comes in small arcs -- then the vehicle leaves the area of interest
and comes back later. Eventually the initial phase will be complete and
science will happen on an accelerated basis.

The thought that the "mavins of NASA" care about "buying" is at best
amusing and at worst naive: They will report what they find, and with
enthusiasm. And why not?

Besides -- much current info he

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.cfm

The critics of this expenditure seem to place it in the context of
today's priorities and expenditures. But Cassini was launched in 1997
and begun some years earlier, a different environment (and Administration).

Criticisms at this late date are similar to calling on Pioneer 10, which
left the solar system many years ago, to come home. Duh!

What's done is done.

Phil

Old August 9th 04, 07:03 AM
Heather Board-Canoe

at least its not war!

in relative terms its far less than it cost to send the Bounty to Tahiti
for breadfruit or any one of a countless number of idiotic expeditions
from Nobody to Nowhere simply to conquor and assume control over
more and more people, with nothing learned that has advanced humanity
one inch, to date!

Pick your complaints wisely. You might get what you want. World War III
and nobody and nothing going anywhere, ever again!

Teresa

Old August 9th 04, 10:29 AM
Paul Lawler

(Top Posting fixed)

"Heather Board-Canoe" wrote in message
starlard wrote:
[...]

Just to bring this back round to astronomy, some of thse expeditions to
nowhere served a very useful purpose. One was sent to Hawaii in 1874 to
view the transit of Venus and aid in accurately determining the distance
from the Earth to the Sun.

(Hokuloa: The British 1874 Transit of Venus Expedition to Hawai'i by
Michael Chauvin)

Old August 9th 04, 03:59 PM
starlord

Well, so far they've found that Titan is the only moon to have lighting
active on it, so that makes it worthwhile. More to come. And your dime has
already been spent and your next dime has already been spent 10 years ago.
Live with it.

Ofcouse there's always those fools who would rather go around and stick
their heads in a hole in the ground and not even dream of anything new.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Blast Off Cybershop
http://www.cafeshops.com/starlords
In the Garden Gift Shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/InGarden
Astronomy-net shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/Astronomy_net
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Gerry Fassler" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:16:59 -0700, starlard
wrote:

Thanks My thoughts exactly.

---

Old August 10th 04, 03:20 AM
JT

Default So far Titan a waste , Lighting?

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 07:59:02 -0700, "starlord"
wrote:

Well, so far they've found that Titan is the only moon to have lighting
active on it, so that makes it worthwhile. More to come. And your dime has
already been spent and your next dime has already been spent 10 years ago.
Live with it.

Ofcouse there's always those fools who would rather go around and stick
their heads in a hole in the ground and not even dream of anything new.

They have electricity? I thing you are talking about the bright loud stuff
that comings along with storms.

Well great, I'll remember not to stand under a tree Next Time I visit
Titan.

Great bit of info, well worth billions.
Old August 10th 04, 08:34 PM
Paul Lawler

wrote:

Well, so far they've found that Titan is the only moon to have

lighting
active on it, so that makes it worthwhile. More to come. And your

dime has
already been spent and your next dime has already been spent 10 years

ago.
Live with it.

Ofcouse there's always those fools who would rather go around and

stick
their heads in a hole in the ground and not even dream of anything

new.

They have electricity? I thing you are talking about the bright loud

stuff
that comings along with storms.

Bright, yes. Loud, no.

Well great, I'll remember not to stand under a tree Next Time I visit
Titan.

Great bit of info, well worth billions.

Like Dennis said, your billions were spent long ago. Let's say the cost
was $10 billion. Your "personal" contribution was rougly $33. Get over
it.