So far Titan a waste

Old August 7th 04, 04:17 PM
Bob Schmall

Default So far Titan a waste

"John Beaderstadt" wrote in message
While reading in the bathroom on Sat, 07 Aug 2004 10:22:12 GMT, I saw
that "Bob Schmall" had written:

Someone asked Ben Franklin what was the use of the lightning he had been
researching. Franklin replied, "What is the use of a newborn baby?"

Actually, the conversation concerned an ascent by the Montgolfier
brothers.

I'll go with my college history prof and let it stand as written.

However, back to the question at hand, I wonder why the OP apparently
thinks that Saturn is being short-changed, compared to other planetary
probes. Is it his suggestion that we abandon every effort that would
take us beyond earth orbit? Does he really think that any money saved
would be either returned to the taxpayers or otherwise put to more
beneficial use? Does he really think that the amount of money saved
is enough to matter?

Maybe Halliburton can kick in a few billion.

The OP might also check he
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/operation...position.cfme:

Lower right image. It's a computer sim of the probe's orbital path showing
that it is now outboard bound on the first orbit. In a couple of months it
will return to the planet's immediate environs, the snazzy pix will resume
and more real science will be done.

Bob

Old August 7th 04, 04:28 PM
Brian Tung

John Beaderstadt wrote:
Someone asked Ben Franklin what was the use of the lightning he had been
researching. Franklin replied, "What is the use of a newborn baby?"

Actually, the conversation concerned an ascent by the Montgolfier
brothers.

It has been attributed to a number of people. I doubt that we'll ever
know for sure who said it--or, in fact, if anyone famous said it at all.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old August 7th 04, 06:36 PM
Robert Cook

Geoff wrote in message . ..

I'm glad that theres a few less dimes for the american military and
its persuit of world conquest.

Maybe your country's military should stop following them around like a puppy. :-)

- Robert Cook
Old August 8th 04, 03:13 PM
Phil Wheeler

Paul Lawler wrote:

"Jon Kickerston" wrote in message
nk.net...

I apologize to the group for making this response publicly instead of
personally, but was a little difficult to send an e-mail
to.

But "none" seems a suitable pseudonym for Jon K. But the last name
should be changed from "nospam" to "allspam" :-)

Phil

Old August 8th 04, 04:14 PM
Jmpngtiger

Default So far Titan a waste [OT]

Irregardless of our present situation ("Waist Deep in the Big Muddy" comes to
mind), Cassini was started and funded years ago. Just look at the travel time
out to Saturn. If you want to stop this type of spending, start working on the
missions planned for 2010. Good luck.

Of course, it seems a bit strange that someone hanging out in this NG would be
against space exploration. But to each his own.

jt
Old August 8th 04, 07:35 PM
Phil Wheeler

Jon Kickerston wrote:

If you've ever had a spamming experience direct to your email, you'd
understand the reason for the address. Also, since I've been responding
only to attacks and criticisms recently, how can one say "allspam". Beats
the poop out of me. Oh well, so be it. I'm back outta here on silent mode.

I have -- and finally parted with my Earthlink acct as a result.

Disposable addresses are a better approach than address at all. It does
allow for a private reply -- but if spam is a problem, you just zap that
address and create a new one. Works for me.

Phil

Old August 9th 04, 03:43 AM
Gerry Fassler

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:16:59 -0700, starlard
wrote:

After this months local Astronomy Club meet I have to agree with the
growing opinion that so far the most recent mission to Saturn is a big
yawn. More pictures of fuzzy yellow balls. Billions of the nations wealth
and what the hell do we have to show? In a time when this country is face
with impotent challenges this is how the elites have chosen to Blow the big
Bucks.
You know if all this had a practical use well then maybe I would have a
different opinion. But I have to agree with those of you who say that if
all we are going to do is take pictures and snoop around poking into frozen
prehistoric giant snow balls , hey not on my dime brother.

Thanks My thoughts exactly.

Notice how little news there has been about this fools pursuit? I suspect
even the mavins at NASA have gotten the message that the public is buying
this Saturn jazz about as much as they are buying Ashcrofts latest
terrorist rantings.