Ares 1-X now on pad

Old October 20th 09, 03:15 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Ares 1-X now on pad

Looking very tall and skinny indeed:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ares1x...ut/index4.html

Pat
Old October 20th 09, 11:44 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
not-jonathan

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Looking very tall and skinny indeed:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ares1x...ut/index4.html

I always thought the skinny end went first?

Pat

Old October 21st 09, 12:40 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

Pat Flannery wrote:
Looking very tall and skinny indeed:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ares1x...ut/index4.html

Pat

Hope they've read up on Euler instability.

Sylvia.
Old October 21st 09, 01:19 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Oct 20, 4:40*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:
Looking very tall and skinny indeed:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ares1x...ut/index4.html

Pat

Hope they've read up on Euler instability.

Sylvia.

It's a very heavy but nifty stack of modified TNT. What could
possibly go wrong? (again)

~ BG
Old October 21st 09, 01:27 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

Pat Flannery wrote:
Looking very tall and skinny indeed:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ares1x...ut/index4.html
Pat

Hope they've read up on Euler instability.

Sylvia.

It's a very heavy but nifty stack of modified TNT. What could
possibly go wrong? (again)

~ BG

The perversity of inanimate objects (in this context, meaning not alive
objects) means that it will perform flawlessly until they stick humans
on top.

Sylvia.
Old October 21st 09, 02:50 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

Pat Flannery wrote:
Looking very tall and skinny indeed:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ares1x...ut/index4.html
Pat
Hope they've read up on Euler instability.

Sylvia.

It's a very heavy but nifty stack of modified TNT. *What could
possibly go wrong? (again)

*~ BG

The perversity of inanimate objects (in this context, meaning not alive
objects) means that it will perform flawlessly until they stick humans
on top.

Sylvia.

That's why we pay others to ride the great stick of death. It's like
Russian roulette, it's great fun for all, at least up until the last
guy finishes the game.

~ BG
Old October 21st 09, 03:28 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Frankly a nice on pad EXLOSION is needed to help KILL this useless
launcher......

nice big vibrant embarasing fireball taking out pad too...........

Old October 21st 09, 07:41 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

In sci.space.history Jeff Findley wrote:

You're being *very* generous today.

Other than the SRB casings, this thing has very little in common
with the actual Ares I design. It's actually a shuttle SRB (four
segment) with a dummy SRB segment on top to "simulate" a five
segment SRB. Of course, everything above the first stage is also
dummy parts to "simulate" an upper stage and an Orion capsule.

Aren't you leaving-out the RCS (?) bits in place to keep the thing
from tumbling arse over teakettle?

rick jones
Old October 21st 09, 10:13 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Rick Jones" wrote in message
In sci.space.history Jeff Findley wrote:

You're being *very* generous today.

Other than the SRB casings, this thing has very little in common
with the actual Ares I design. It's actually a shuttle SRB (four
segment) with a dummy SRB segment on top to "simulate" a five
segment SRB. Of course, everything above the first stage is also
dummy parts to "simulate" an upper stage and an Orion capsule.

Aren't you leaving-out the RCS (?) bits in place to keep the thing
from tumbling arse over teakettle?

The TVC on the first stage, the SRB, is the same as on shuttle. The RCS
could be the design they're planning on using for Ares I, but I seriously
doubt it. For this flight they only need roll control for first stage burn
since the SRB TVC will handle the rest. I'm not sure if Ares I will need
more than roll control on its RCS (for example, to keep the upper stage
pointed in the right direction between first stage separation and successful
start of the upper stage engine).

Actually, even the outer mold-lines of the Orion and its launch escape tower
is different than what is planned for Ares I. This whole Ares I-X flight
really is little more than a stunt. NASA management wanted to get something
flying SOON to "show progress". All other goals, like acquiring good data
for engineering Ares I, seem to be secondary priorities.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Ares IV?! Pat Flannery History 10 July 26th 09 09:30 PM
Instead of Ares V... Alan Erskine[_2_] Policy 16 March 3rd 08 12:24 PM
I've added FOUR updates to my Ares-1 article with some NEW calculations that (clearly) show WHY the new Ares-1 can't fly gaetanomarano Policy 0 November 12th 07 10:21 AM
NewSpace rockets __ EELVs __ Ares-I __ REVISED Orion/Ares-I __ FAST-SLV __ chances of success gaetanomarano Policy 9 June 16th 07 12:03 AM
in my opinion (both) Ares-I and Ares-V could NEVER fly once! ...could NASA rockets win vs. privates on launch date and prices? gaetanomarano Policy 0 May 10th 07 11:11 PM