N20/propane as monopropellant

Old February 12th 05, 06:28 AM
Malcolm Street

Henry Spencer wrote:

Not really anything significant. There are some modest advantages in
chilling propellants, but that can be done even in a warm climate -- the
refrigeration equipment can be part of the ground-support gear rather than
part of the rocket.

Wasn't fuel chilling also used in the N-1?

--
Malcolm Street
Canberra, Australia
Old February 16th 05, 03:35 PM
David Summers

Something I've sometimes thought about was to do something like this,
but instead of using a direct mixture, having essentially gell tablets
of fuel floating in an oxidizer. The problems I see are keeping the
mixture homogenous - unfortunately large problems, so I don't really
think this would work.

-David

Old February 18th 05, 09:05 AM
Malcolm Street

David Summers wrote:

Something I've sometimes thought about was to do something like this,
but instead of using a direct mixture, having essentially gell tablets
of fuel floating in an oxidizer. The problems I see are keeping the
mixture homogenous - unfortunately large problems, so I don't really
think this would work.

-David

What about some form of gel-coated very fine dust?

--
Malcolm Street
Canberra, Australia
Old February 21st 05, 03:59 PM
David Summers

Well, I didn't spend a lot of time on this - but the problem I ran into
is ensuring that the mixture ratio remains constant - as in the "dust"
doesn't settle when vigorously shaken, etc.

-David

Old February 21st 05, 04:06 PM
Tom Carman

"Malcolm Street" wrote in message
Henry Spencer wrote:

Not really anything significant. There are some modest advantages in
chilling propellants, but that can be done even in a warm climate -- the
refrigeration equipment can be part of the ground-support gear rather

than
part of the rocket.

Wasn't fuel chilling also used in the N-1?

I seem to recall reading that if you chill propane down to LOX temperatures,
you get a fuel density comparable to RP-1 with better specific impulse and
no coking problems.